The online racing simulator
Quote from Eclipsed :

But that open world map is just a step too far - you moaner-cruisers,enjoy the open configs and shut up finally,you're just guests in this RACING simulator!

There seems to be a general rule that everyone who has been here for 3 or more years and has over 500 posts has to be downright rude and condescending.

Why have you people got this attitude? Are you scared of adding anything that might remotely enhance the game or add something to it?

Okay, Ill just take my moaner-cruiser-stupid-question-asker-spinner-rims self and go if you guys feel so deeply offended that someone has made a suggestion.

Btw, the person who mentioned spinner rims should be shot on sight - I despise those those god awful round objects with a passion.
And also you can't say I'm a guest here - I paid just as much as you have for the game and I stay on the only full and fun servers in this game. It just so happens that cruise and drift servers are the only ones pulling people while clans choose to run private racing sessions. But most racing servers are either dominated by one guy with an MRT or completely empty.

But you're not somehow better than me for choosing to drive round in circles very fast.

If nobody has any valuable feedback on this suggestion, you might as well not bother posting anymore. Well you can but I won't bother responding if you keep that attitude.
It's just the wrong scope. Your enhancement requests would be great if we were building a Midtown Madness type remake. But that's not what LFS is. LFS is a simulator thats primary focus is "race in circles really fast". Having a city map doesn't work towards that goal.

Especially with the LFS devs being such a small team.. they can't spend months on functionality that isn't directly towards the end-game of LFS.
Quote from GROOV3ST3R :I despise those those god awful round objects with a passion.

I don't hate them. I just have never seen the point. They look awful and worsen the performance of the car.
Same thing applies to "customizing" the wheels in LFS. What would be the point? Maybe I'm just so bad a driver but I don't notice what kind of wheels are on the car that I'm trying to pass. Besides isn't there an addon that allows you to change the look of the wheels?
Now if the different wheels affected the cars performance. Then I wouldn't have much against it. The down side would be that everybody would just select the best performing wheel tyre combination and everybody would have the same wheel. Just as it is now. Why go through all the trouble to end up just where you started?

Quote :But you're not somehow better than me for choosing to drive round in circles very fast.

Not better, just smarter. I bought a racing game for racing. I've also bought a cops&robbers game for playing cops and robbers. You can also cruise around in it. Granted the physics are crap but it is enough for driving around. It is entertaining in it's own right. They are not the same game though and neither should they be. The Need For Speed games have cruising and I believe in some of them you can customize your car with bodykits and different wheels. Cruising around doesn't need very good physics because you are never on the edge. If you want to drive on the edge why not just race?

Quote :If nobody has any valuable feedback on this suggestion, you might as well not bother posting anymore. Well you can but I won't bother responding if you keep that attitude.

This is a public forum. If you do not want to read opinions that don't match yours then you shouldn't come here.
Quote from March Hare :Cruising around doesn't need very good physics because you are never on the edge. If you want to drive on the edge why not just race?

That's where you're wrong. Do you think all the cruisers play LFS just for the heck of it? Obviously the realistic physics is what edge the driving feeling regardless of how you drive. Greater forces doesn't mean higher utilization of physics. Don't know where you got that from.
From what ive read, some peoples opinions and facts are total rubbish.

At the top of the thread i read something about cruise server being more popular than race servers, if this is so, then take a look again, and you will see Cargame.nl S2 racing server. It is always full and produces some of the best public racing around, apart from that, a lot of racers are hidden on private servers or practicing on single player, because they are preparing for an event or league race.

As for this being a racing simulator, it is purely designed for racing only. People using their initiative and the right tools to create a cruise insim was purely player based, not anything from the Developers. An open world map would possibly be a good idea, but it has its pro's and conns. Ill list some that i can quickly think of;

Pro's

#1 - It would bring some more freedom to cruisers, in a more realistic world / track.

#2 - For racers, this could provide some great racing, and possibly if done correct, racing in an open world map could produce some racing similar to the Monaco Grand Prix, street racing (not talking NFS here guys).

Conns

#1 - Many LFS users dont have a great computer, and therefore would lack the optimal amount of FPS and cause driving & racing to be a nightmare.

#2 - It would take a lot of time, and effort, possibly a fair amount of money for it to be done correctly, and this would draw focus away from other developments such as S3 and the content we are waiting for.

#3 - With such a huge map, There would have to be more slots on the track in which players can join (max 32 atm), and this would mean that not only the developers would have to release an update allowing more cars on the track, but also server hosting companies, such as 500servers, would possibly have to boost their dedi performance. Causing crashes, errors and more problems with the host, and the server its self.

I could be wrong, but this is just my opinion.
I think the Devs did good with the standard open configs. I do wish to see this bit open sometimes (see attached). I think opening up the pre-made track (half finished?) tracks in South City would benefit everyone. Racers have more curves, drifters have more angles, and cruisers have more room to, well, cruise.

There comes a point where your suggestions become nonsense though. Parking structures / multi-store levels will never become a thing. Like what most everyone said, this is Live for Speed, not Need for Speed. Opening existing sections of the track make for a better overall experience.

This should not be at the top of the Devs list, either. They must get done the more important features first: Security, and tire physics. Wanting things like Police / SUV / NOS etc. usually lead to a thread being closed, and making everyone upset.
Attached images
southcityopen2.gif
You've made a valid point. I cant find one thing that i would disagree with at all.
u want open map go play GTA 4 online !!!!!!!!
whatever just do something already, who cares what ppl use it for.
Quote from turkishcan :u want open map go play GTA 4 online !!!!!!!!

whit dat logic u should go play mario kart !!!!!!!!

Quote from e2mustang :whatever just do something already, who cares what ppl use it for.

Devs are doing something. Tyre physics! And when that's done, we're probably gonna get more frequent content updates.
So many cry babies the minute the words drift or cruise appear.

This is how it is. I cruise, I drift, and when I'm feeling like a challenge, I race.

My choice of doing whatever I want on LFS has not caused you any direct harm, and frankly, anybody who goes nuts over cruising or drifting is pathetic. Pa-the-tic.

I keep hearing this constant sound of crying children on the forums, and it goes to the tune of 'You cant add x,y,z feature to x,y,z map for cruise or drift servers, LFS is a racing simulator'

OOOOOOKAAAAAAAY; let me dissect your dribble for those with applicable intellect.

Drift, Race, Cruise: All forms of racing.

Want to argue this fact? Go ahead, the moment you reply such rubbish, you've already shown a lack of real world experience.

Go out for a clubman track day, you'll see people doing the exact same as we do on cruise servers, just relax, and enjoy ourselves, not too competitively, and as fast as we feel like going.

Drifting: Its a motorsport, and follows regulated rules as does time-attack styled racing.

Racing: Do I even?

At the end of the day, what we do on LFS, is entirely our choice, we paid for our license, and we will play LFS accordingly. We don't need this kindergarten rubbish flaming personal choices, you have no say.

Scawen and the rest of the Dev Team will ALWAYS put realism and security focused advancements first, they have shown this very blatantly. So when some tiny little feature comes along for the cruisers or drifters, remember this: 90% of all features added are added for the benefit of people racing, giving you the luxury of ever-progressing realism. For those of us who cruise or drift, we happily enjoy ourselves, not even bothered that we seldom get updates that apply greatly to the style we play, we are thankful for the entire package.
cruising a forum of racing? lol

and doing a "clubman" track day is that. TRACK day. you dont cruise about with cops and traffic lights on a track day ..

drifting i dont really care for but cruising is the worst.

this is a racing simulator. nothing wil ever be made for cruising in LFS. so stop asking for cruise specific stuff.
Quote from affl1cted :Go out for a clubman track day, you'll see people doing the exact same as we do on cruise servers, just relax, and enjoy ourselves, not too competitively, and as fast as we feel like going.

Either you have never been on a LFS cruising server or you have never attended a track day.

On a track day there is only one configuration of the track used and you have to drive around in one direction.

On a cruise server all track configurations are open and you can drive any of them. And you can drive in any direction.

How can you possibly argue that these are the same thing?

By your definition I'm a cruiser when I go to cargame.nl servers to have some fun. I drive around at my own pace. I pass some people some people pass me. I just generally relax and have a good time.

I can partly see where you are coming with this. In my opinion the cargame.nl servers, with CTRA and STCC before them, are more track day servers than race servers. People drive around in different cars and have a good time. Sometimes there's a bit of rivalry and you have a bit of a race. The main reason I don't consider cargame to be a racing server is it's similarity to cruise servers. Both make you work to get a car. Whether it's money or points that dictate what car you can have is arbitrary. You need to be driving on the server a lot to get what you want.

Racing is when all participants are using the same car or the same class of car. Multiclass racing is an exception. Though it's mostly just multiple races run at the same time on the same track.
I'm sorry guys but this is just like politics..

We're having in the netherlands 2 sides .. Left and right..

Its the same here one side racers.. And the other side cruise.

Please count for me.. WKD , TC , RC... 3 servers but yes its never empty.

BUT check the race servers 40 Race Servers and 3-10 on it.. Check Cargame 20-30
so.. Be happy that we have some cruise servers.
normally we shouldn't have cruise servers.
because we're RACING SIMULATION.
This is exactly the same as GTA..

GTA = Normally a criminal game
but in multiplayer there are some ROLEPLAY ( Real-life) servers.
I'm sorry for my english grammar but i hope that i got a point
Quote from Franky.S :cruising a forum of racing? lol

and doing a "clubman" track day is that. TRACK day. you dont cruise about with cops and traffic lights on a track day ..

drifting i dont really care for but cruising is the worst.

this is a racing simulator. nothing wil ever be made for cruising in LFS. so stop asking for cruise specific stuff.

oh for god sake.. u are the one who goes cruising when u get bored of racing ! madafakaaaaa
Quote from e2mustang :oh for god sake.. u are the one who goes cruising when u get bored of racing ! madafakaaaaa

it was like 3am , i was drunk and got banned in 20min for taking the racing line and hitting people.
not my fault

i would say cruise servers kill lfs and steals the racers. but then again i dont think i want any cruiser racing along side me. from what i saw, they should stay in they hole ..
so u are drunk very often i guess
a week
Quote from e2mustang :a week

yeah sure.

i cruise everyday for 5 hours in my fxo fwd retard car with susp as low as cruising itself.

yep.
i have replays
Can we seriously drop the elitism. We can have sim racing, drifting and cruising along with whatever other mod comes out later. The idea is that people are using the engine to make new and original things.

As it's been said a million time. If you don't like drift and cruise then don't use it, doesn't hurt the game to have more people playing/buying LFS.

Look at ARMA, they allow modding and the game was dead until dayz and now RPG style Life mods.

Some of you might only want a game with 1 function, but the rest of us like a little variety.
I don't post on these forums much because of the morons who think this is a racing game and there are no other uses for it. Newsflash there are plenty of other uses. I race my Mini Cooper S in real life and this game replicates the best experience to that event. My first track day I had an idea what to do because I had raced the track on GTR2, I knew the basic layout but I didn't push it full out, I cruised along in C group my first couple times learning the track. By the third session my speed was increasing, and I was pushing it harder and harder. By the next track day I was riding the curves on the inside of the turns and only braking twice per lap.

Ok now back to LFS. Many of these tracks are completely developed way beyond the areas we are allowed to drive, anyone remember the fun we had on blackwood car park when we could respawn onto the roof of the building and jump off? That was the reason I played LFS, for fun. The racing and fine tuning you can do is incredible, but the vehicles and openess are lacking. When I'm on a cruise server I tend to drive like I do in real life, pushing it to the edge and taking consequences when I am caught, or I could leisurely drive at their set speed limits. If you ever look the two [TC] servers almost always top the list, followed by Warlab Drift. That says there is more to this sim than just racing. (Even demo servers with out access to objects do it!) The open tracks were added for racers and cruisers alike. Thats what makes this game great, you can play it how you want, there are no levels, there are no restrictions, play it how you like. So why not open up more maps and add more features? This game takes so little overhead that even on max settings my dad's ancient POS IBM Thinkpad can play LFS and the maps are almost done, just finish them. Plus for racers, town racing would be an awesome addition all sorts of new corners and twists could be added. Think Monte Carlo.

This would be second on my list after more customization/vehicles(gimme a MkI Rabbit/Golf and I'll smoke you in a FXR, FZR) and before changing weather/new physics.

Open world map and some other misc suggestions
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG