The online racing simulator
Want a new Bike - What should I get?
(24 posts, started )
Thinking about a Ducati 996 but they don't get much cheaper than £5k. Think I could pick up a 748 for about £3500. Too gutless though?

How about a Aprilia RSV Mille with the loveley 60 degree V twin and again comes in at about £3.5k. The RSVR has ohlins etc but will cost me twice as much to insure.

Maybe even a Honda VTR1000 SP1/SP2 - £4.5-5k

Maybe an older Yamaha R1 or R6?

Or for something really exotic a Benelli Tornado but the insurance is a bit steep. Anyone know anything aboout any of these bikes?
Personally I would go for the Aprillia RSV, the SP's look really nice, but I havent heard that much good about them.

Maybe try asking here > www.superbikeforums.co.uk , loads of knowledgable peeps there.

Dan,
im should be getting the SP1 next year if all goes to plan, currently got a 96 blade but the IL4's have nothing on a good twin. there an exotic japanese bike which imo makes them more sought after than any italian bike.
the only thing you have to remember when buying them is they are a completely track biased bike, perfect for the sunday run but youd want to chuck it off a bridge if used for the everyday commute. the other problem with them is the fuel injection is very snatcy at low RPM although its easily sorted with a power commander and some dyno time.
all depends on what you need the bike for, if its purely to ride the balls off it then go with the Honda (imo of course).
#4 - avih
You should start with your aims for the bike. Every usage will have other adequate bikes. It also depends on your prior experience. If you have none, then it's best to start with something not too extreme, or else it would only increase your chances to get hurt. Also, for 1st bike you should consider the possibility of damages which costs lots of money. So it's best to start with used bike. Bikes ARE dangerous you know.

Other than that.. whatever bike you buy, take some riding courses to improve your riding skills (beyond the lessons you take for the license), and practice practice practice. And be careful
Quote from xxxrated :the other problem with them is the fuel injection is very snatcy at low RPM although its easily sorted with a power commander and some dyno time..

As is pretty much every Honda FI bike, my CBR is shockingly snatchy at low speeds, I brought a power commander yesterday in the hope it will solve the problem.

Dan,
I agree with Dan, I think the Mille is more exclusive!

You need to get it piped and chipped, it then sounds incredible and goes like stink.

I've had my go at superbikes (for now) due to kids etc but i've got a soft spot for one of these BEEM'ers

Its supposed to be better than a VFR for all round use, but get hold of it and it goes like a train. I've seen one piped and chipped.......mmmmm.

OK so its not in the same league as the bikes your looking at.

Oh i'm desperate to get on a Buell as well.
Quote from xxxrated :im should be getting the SP1 next year if all goes to plan, currently got a 96 blade but the IL4's have nothing on a good twin. there an exotic japanese bike which imo makes them more sought after than any italian bike.
the only thing you have to remember when buying them is they are a completely track biased bike, perfect for the sunday run but youd want to chuck it off a bridge if used for the everyday commute. the other problem with them is the fuel injection is very snatcy at low RPM although its easily sorted with a power commander and some dyno time.
all depends on what you need the bike for, if its purely to ride the balls off it then go with the Honda (imo of course).

I remember reading about the snatchy throttle when they came out. I also read that the SP2 was much improved in this area.
Quote from avih :You should start with your aims for the bike. Every usage will have other adequate bikes. It also depends on your prior experience. If you have none, then it's best to start with something not too extreme, or else it would only increase your chances to get hurt. Also, for 1st bike you should consider the possibility of damages which costs lots of money. So it's best to start with used bike. Bikes ARE dangerous you know.

Other than that.. whatever bike you buy, take some riding courses to improve your riding skills (beyond the lessons you take for the license), and practice practice practice. And be careful

Don't worry. I've got a few years experience riding 600cc sports bikes. Really the reason for the upgrade is just for a change. Been riding fours for a while now and am tempted to try the big twins for the noise mainly. My other reason I'll admit, is looks. I just love the 996 for this reason.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
sp2.

the sp1's fuelling was quite bad, and the suspension was too hard for the road, but the 2 had it all sorted out, better fueling etc. tank distance is bad on it though, but not as bad as a firestorm.

you could really push the boat, but itll take a good few months to get, a rc30/35. great bikes, best road bike ever made i would say, and timeless looks.

could go the way of a tl1000 aswell, maybe a tuono, or get a supermoto, as they are great fun.

think what you really want froma bike, how many miles you ride, etc. then think what bike can do what i want.
example, a sp2 isnt great for touring, but it can be done. but for a weekend bike, and track days, bar the new r6, i dont think there is a better bike out there for it.
Gentlefoot

If money was no object.......what would you have?
Quote from v4forlife :sp2.
tank distance is bad on it though, but not as bad as a firestorm.

damn right, mine used to get 70 miles to a tank. needless to say rideouts were rather expensive
Quote from mrfell :Gentlefoot

If money was no object.......what would you have?

hmm - Probably an MV Agusta F4
Quote from v4forlife :sp2.

the sp1's fuelling was quite bad, and the suspension was too hard for the road, but the 2 had it all sorted out, better fueling etc. tank distance is bad on it though, but not as bad as a firestorm.

you could really push the boat, but itll take a good few months to get, a rc30/35. great bikes, best road bike ever made i would say, and timeless looks.

could go the way of a tl1000 aswell, maybe a tuono, or get a supermoto, as they are great fun.

think what you really want froma bike, how many miles you ride, etc. then think what bike can do what i want.
example, a sp2 isnt great for touring, but it can be done. but for a weekend bike, and track days, bar the new r6, i dont think there is a better bike out there for it.

A few months? I've got more chance of finding hens teeth! Nice idea though.

It's gotta be a sports bike for the type of riding I do. I don't mind cranking it over and I don't want to be scraping footpegs or centre stands. Do the commute occasionaly but it's only about an hour and I'm quite small so sports bikes suit me.
Quote from Gentlefoot :hmm - Probably an MV Agusta F4

Ooohh italian exotica (doesn't come cheap or near £5000)

Cheapest one on biketrader.co.uk is £6995 on a 2000 W reg but 750cc.
But i imagine you would want the 1000cc one?
Quote from mrfell :Ooohh italian exotica (doesn't come cheap or near £5000)

Cheapest one on biketrader.co.uk is £6995 on a 2000 W reg but 750cc.
But i imagine you would want the 1000cc one?

Know nothing about them as yet but am finding out. I should think £5k would be a ropey old nail.
trust, i know people, and i could find one within 3-4 months. the rc30 that is, a 35 would be a bit harder.

if its for really giving it some, and obviously a sports bike, and you say your intrigued by the twins, its a simple decision, either the mille, or the sp2.

the ducati, although better then previous models, still has bad electrics. youll need to take out a stake in AA or RAC, lol.

get a test ride on both, see which you prefer. im a honda man, always have been, prob always will be, but the rsv is still a very good bike, and very un italian in its behaviour.
Nobody mentioned the Suzuki SV1000S. Is there something wrong with it and I happen to be the only one here that doesn't know that?
And I happen to, sort of, have one for sale, but you'd have to go a few miles to get it
Quote from maczo :Nobody mentioned the Suzuki SV1000S. Is there something wrong with it and I happen to be the only one here that doesn't know that?
And I happen to, sort of, have one for sale, but you'd have to go a few miles to get it

This bike is tame in comparison to the RSV or Ducati.
I think its a detuned TL1000 motor, not sure, but doesn't cut it with the other bikes IMO.
Found a very cheap 748 which I'm gonna go see at the weekend if it hasn't gone. Might go sooner if I can get time off work.

V4 - Been looking at the SP2 and RSV but looks wise they are just nothing special. My Gixer looks much the same and I'm looking for something as different as possible - hence the v twins. Now if I went for the 748 I'd have Italian looks (the RSV doesn't look Italian if you ask me), the insurance would be no more than the Gixer and I'd be getting 3 extra BHP and about 5 extra ft/lb torque. The one I've seen has Termignonis too so will sound mental.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Found a very cheap 748 which I'm gonna go see at the weekend if it hasn't gone. Might go sooner if I can get time off work.

V4 - Been looking at the SP2 and RSV but looks wise they are just nothing special. My Gixer looks much the same and I'm looking for something as different as possible - hence the v twins. Now if I went for the 748 I'd have Italian looks (the RSV doesn't look Italian if you ask me), the insurance would be no more than the Gixer and I'd be getting 3 extra BHP and about 5 extra ft/lb torque. The one I've seen has Termignonis too so will sound mental.

That'll save you a few quid if it comes with um.

Don't forget Ducati stands pop up as soon as you take the weigh off them!! I know from the hard way!!! Luckily i had a mate by the side of me to stop it from going over!!!
Quote from mrfell :That'll save you a few quid if it comes with um.

Don't forget Ducati stands pop up as soon as you take the weigh off them!! I know from the hard way!!! Luckily i had a mate by the side of me to stop it from going over!!!

I didn't know that - glad I do before I test ride matey's bike!

Nice one
and the famous ducati 'bag-0-nails' sound when on tickover in nuetral, clutch left alone.

yay, going to hartford marina tonight with a load of lads from msn and PB, i have a mate i know whos missus, who is now my mate aswell and owns a rvf, works in the same place as alot of the mags, and writes for BIKE. met dale lomus through her, good bloke, and the ducati he owns, 999 with termignonis....my god its so loud.
Quote from v4forlife :and the famous ducati 'bag-0-nails' sound when on tickover in nuetral, clutch left alone.

My Suzuki does that too. Usually a worn clutch release bearing I think.

When I worked in Croydon I parked opposite the Superbikes mag office so always used to see loadsa fruity bikes knockin' about.
Quote from v4forlife :and the famous ducati 'bag-0-nails' sound when on tickover in nuetral, clutch left alone.

yay, going to hartford marina tonight with a load of lads from msn and PB, i have a mate i know whos missus, who is now my mate aswell and owns a rvf, works in the same place as alot of the mags, and writes for BIKE. met dale lomus through her, good bloke, and the ducati he owns, 999 with termignonis....my god its so loud.

I think the translation of termignonis is "no silencing" ie straight thro; full bore etc etc!!!!!!!

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG