The online racing simulator
Shorter than 1 hour timed races.
I doubt this would be hard to implement. MLTR (let's put in a plug) would use 10 minute timed races if it was possible.
+1

I sometimes want a 30 min race.
10 min timed race? No point in that. I think it's good like this, it's really easy to get rough estimates how long race will last with certain amounts of laps, it's not that hard.
10 minutes wont be longer than 6 or 7 laps on most combos.

And you can count till 7, cant you?
Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad thing if we ever get a "random next track" built-in automated mini-championship thing. You know, where people can turn up and have a 4 race "cup" or whatever on a public server and the game takes care of points and so forth.
#6 - ajp71
Quote from Blackout :10 min timed race?

The 750 MC has gone entirely to timed races, they're either 13 or 18 mins + a lap, different series get longer races at different meetings to give some variety. I think other clubs have gone to timed races they make sense for 2 reasons:

1 - When you're running anything from single seaters to Austin 7s someone isn't going to be happy because obviously a 10 lap Austin 7 race lasts longer. If you reduce the length of the races in slower series they aren't going to be happy either. If you put it to a timed race everyone should be happy (like that'll ever happen )

2 - It stops pressure for people with long leads in series with mixed speed cars to lap slower so that the slower classes can have a longer race.

I think 15 minutes would be a much nice time for public races, atm they are often a bit short and when servers switch cars or tracks they often get left with races that are too long or short.
+1 for being able to set it by the minute. And then you can have "The 2.4 hours of blackwood" endurance races, 144 minutes.

And who knows, it might be fun to have a 1 minute race at so classic, chase the leader across the line to try to force a second lap. Stupid, but why not just make it as flexible as possible so you can try whatever you want?
In real racing it works if you have those mixed fields, we don't have them so we wouldn't need the minute sceduled races. More options is allways good offcourse so +0,245 then :P
Most leagues work out races based on total desired time and the WR lap time, it gives a good idea of total race length. OWRL for instance (used to) use 1 hr races divided by WR time to get the race length.

STCC races are organised on a similar system to OWRL based on 30 minutes, but this is done as a rough estimate on time so that different races are different lengths - creating different tyre needs throughout the season.

From the perspective of being a racer I would much preffer to have laps than time, because it gives a finite end to the race, only endurance racing is ever worked out on time and i've never seen a real endurance race take less than 2 hours.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG