The online racing simulator
Windows Backup Software
(19 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Windows Backup Software
Pre-face - It takes me several days to setup my copy of Windows, install all the software I want, get it all the different apps settings across, registry tweaks etc.

I've got a good data backup regime in place - docs + videos (i've made) + music + pictures are backed up to my Livedrive account & docs + pictures are also backed up to my laptop as well

I recently had to do an iCloud restore on my iPhone and was VERY impressed by the fact I didn't *need* to set it back up, all settings etc stayed. Based on this i'm now using Time Machine on my MacBook which seems to work ok.

I wondered if there was anything equivalent for Windows? Don't care about the data, just apps & settings...
It's called Windows 8. It stores all the settings and tells which apps you have installed. No need for an iTimemachine or whatever.
Quote from Bose321 :It's called Windows 8. It stores all the settings and tells which apps you have installed. No need for an iTimemachine or whatever.

Time Machine isn't a thing. It's a software feature that automates backups to an external drive. There is the "Time Capsule" which is effectively a Router with a built in hard disk.. but that's totally optional.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from Bose321 :It's called Windows 8. It stores all the settings and tells which apps you have installed. No need for an iTimemachine or whatever.

But not the settings for the apps. And I don't want a live account Windows 8 style. And i'm using 7 on my desktop.
Windows 8 is shit.

Use the built-in backup software in Windows 7 itself. It's good enough.
We've used some other programms before but now just use the windows backup software.
Quote from Jakg :But not the settings for the apps. And I don't want a live account Windows 8 style. And i'm using 7 on my desktop.

Actually it does (for those that support it).

But it's not relevant since you use 7.
Quote from Jakg :....It takes me several days to setup my copy of Windows, install all the software I want, get it all the different apps settings across, registry tweaks etc...

Exactly, that's the way, and that's why so much people say Windows sucks, because they leave everything in default, and it actually sucks when in default.

Anyway, going back to the topic: I use DriveClone Pro. Everytime I format my friends or familys computer I create a backup with it. Whenever their noobness ruins the installation, they just restore and everything is like before. I works perfect, without any usb key, cd or shit like that, just click on restore and leave it do the job. It even works on the same hard disk with a different partition. And is not a quick patch over the old installation that makes everthing messy, it actually formats your partition and installs the back up.
#8 - Jakg
Quote from Bose321 :Actually it does (for those that support it).

But it's not relevant since you use 7.

The problem is I don't want some or a few of my apps backed up - I want the lot. And also things like my registry tweaks etc.

(I'm planning to upgrade to 8 at some point - it's on my laptop already and I have a spare key)

I thought that cloning software would be the the way to go but I've had trouble with Acronis before. I'll try the DriveClone software.

Don't know why but I have some irrational fear of Windows' built in backup software (both the backup one and system restore)
I only used 7s inbuild backup once, but that time it worked as it should, restored all drivers, all settings (even desktop wallpaper and position of folders) and network stuff. I never tried the restore option in the way of reformatting and then applying the backup tho (I keep Win7s restore data on a separate drive)

I'm pretty sure it saves the whole registry, so you would keep your tweaks
Quote from Jakg :...I've had trouble with Acronis before. I'll try the DriveClone software..

Do it, it has done the job for me 100% of the times
Dunno the current version, I have used 5.0 (some time ago) and 7.0.
I use FBackup 4 myself. Doesn't copy the registry (afaik) but it can make a 1:1 shadow copy of all the files on your drives. I hate any software that makes some odd archived backups, rather than the actual files you want backed up.
Just a note: if you use DriveClone Pro, you need to backup your C drive where Windows is installed + the small 100mb partition that it created when you installed it. If you don't backup both you might not be able to restart the backup
Why not to backup your whole system and app partition(s) using Windows integrated tools (backup physical drive -> VHD file) or third party free tools like CloneZilla. CloneZilla works really well with NAS or external HDD as backup target.

Idea of universally backing up "applications" of different kind and vendors plus their "settings" and more over recovering them to fully functional state at some point is plain unrealistic, imo.
I don't think it's super unrealistic. Well... In windows maybe, but OS X it's totally feasible. Most apps will work fine if themselves are preserved. Settings are stored in ~/Library. Adobe is the exception; they store stuff everywhere, but Time Machine is able to back all that up, and let you just start back up. Apps and everything preserved.

Having a 100% functional backup is not crazy. Maybe for windows it is..
I have to concur. Windows is a bit of a mess when it comes to storing applications' configuration and there is nothing you could easily backup to store just the configuration. Putting Windows and your apps on a separate partition and creating an image of it might be the only reasonable solution.
#16 - Jakg
An image could be a workable solution - i've just had some really poor experiences with CloneZilla making images but being unable to restore them!
#17 - Jakg
Acronis yet again didn't work. Does Drive Clone Pro let me schedule it automatically?
Freeware, drivexml.

It does require you to make a new image if you update stuff, but for your pc the just recreate an image whenever you need it.

You may need to check your drive size, so just shrink your c: drive a bit then you can easily restore, there's good freeware to do this too.

Or, just spend some cash and buy a program that does this automaticaly.

It does require you to do it manually, so either put this on your too do list, or just use windows backup, which won't do what you want.
Quote from Jakg :Acronis yet again didn't work. Does Drive Clone Pro let me schedule it automatically?

Yes schedule is available

Windows Backup Software
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG