The online racing simulator
LFS TOO forgiving?
(20 posts, started )
LFS TOO forgiving?
Has anyone ever noticed in Live For Speed that when you tap another car/ wall, you get very little (if any) damage? I find that way too forgiving. I mean come on, if you tap another car at about 160-180 kmh your car would (or at least should) take much more significant damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
youre absolutely right ... however lfs is wip so basically its sold on the basis that you get whats currently completed which may or may not represent what the 1.0 version will look like

so its really more of a way to fund the development without a publisher than selling a complete product
In general I agree with you, but on this point:

Quote from GTR_Yuni :if you tap another car at about 160-180 kmh your car would (or at least should) take much more significant damage.

Let's say I'm going 180 kmh and I tap a car in front of me which is going 178 kmh - the damage here wouldn't be significant at all, would it?
OTOH though LFS excells at tire modelling which means that while there may be little in the way of aerodynamic damage, the resultant evasive/corrective/off-track manouvering will kill your tires and penalize you that way.
uh.. did you read what this is about racingsimfan?

anyways, the damage model (i will say for the billionth time) is a WIP, and we are lucky to have it, but yes.. its got a far ways to go, and our suspension should also die out over time
That's a good point, the speed's between the two cars would be reletive so in fact you would be only tapping the car infront of you at 2 km/h. The wall is a whole different story, but then again it all depends on how you make contact with the car infront.
Crashing too forgiving? Tap another car and randomly get a free moonflight ticket thanks to the collision detection bugs.
doesn't matter how fast; 2 mph will do some serious damage to any car compared to its slow speed

its mass; not speed though, i've seen some old lady hit one of those grocery cart park areas in some old cadillac at probably 1 mph or less, and she got a good baseball size dent in her bumper from it too
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
As I see, right now the wheels do not get damaged of their own inertia. For example, when a car collides with a concrete barrier, the mirrors break and fly ahead. The same for suspension and other parts. But it isn't yet coded in LFS.

Then, IRL after just a single not very strong collision, there will be vibrations that will make it progress further to compete destruction of a part.
Quote from XCNuse :uh.. did you read what this is about racingsimfan?

yes in fact I did and the point I was making was that, IMO, if you want punishment for car damage, the tire modelling does give you that in some instances.
The collision model is very good in LFS touching other cars doesn't very often result in cars going into orbit, some people complain about it still but they have obviously never raced N2003 online, it's amazing how with a bit of lag 1600kg cars can fly around like ping pong balls

As for the actual damage model I wouldn't call it WIP, more just a placeholder for when the actual model is made (before S2 final hopefully ).
Quote from deggis :Crashing too forgiving? Tap another car and randomly get a free moonflight ticket thanks to the collision detection bugs.

I don't know why people say this. This occurance is very RARE when it comes to car vs. car collisions, and it really is only prevalant with hitting static objects and barriers.
Quote from Tweaker :I don't know why people say this. This occurance is very RARE when it comes to car vs. car collisions, and it really is only prevalant with hitting static objects and barriers.

Rare enough.
#14 - wark
Quote from RacingSimFan :yes in fact I did and the point I was making was that, IMO, if you want punishment for car damage, the tire modelling does give you that in some instances.

O RLY?

cars make tires blow up, not the other way around
Quote :cars make tires blow up, not the other way around

Tell that to Mika Hakkinen's rear wing.

I take it you've never driven on a flat spotted tyre, I took over from my brother in an endurance race with two flatspotted tyres once and felt physically sick afterwards from all the shaking. Luckily nothing too important vibrated off on that ocassion .
#16 - wark
Heheh *remembers Kimi's big last-lap flat-spot suspension failure that happened last year*

True, but in the context... of bumping into people...

And well... drivers make cars make tires make cars blow up.
Quote from wark :O RLY?

cars make tires blow up, not the other way around

The tire blows up YOU!
Quote from deggis :Crashing too forgiving? Tap another car and randomly get a free moonflight ticket thanks to the collision detection bugs.

Yes, many things still have to be improved
Quote from detail :The tire blows up YOU!

In Soviet Russia.
you ever heard of fibreglass?

LFS TOO forgiving?
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG