The online racing simulator
Windows Developer Preview (Windows 8)
(44 posts, started )
Quote from Bose321 :You already know Windows 8 is cheaper then Windows 7 or something? I better not hope you intent to install this as your main OS as it's not as stable as the final build, and will not last long (hence preview).

Main 'good sides' of Windows 8 are;
  • faster (less RAM-usage, faster booting, optimized all over, you name it)
  • New Metro UI (hate it or love it)
  • Safer (Windows defender now already runs while booting)
  • Hyper-V
  • New applications. It's easy to make and sell your own apps in the Windows store.
Basicly it's just based on Windows 7, and everything is streamlined and improved so I don't see how you can't go wrong.

Oh yea, I'm using Vista as main OS..

I will still look into it..
used it daily for about a week now
problems thus far:
- some drivers refuse to install... managed to get one fo the to install properly using windows 7 compatibility mode but i still havent managed to get ogl compatible drivers to install for my intel hd 2000 (the windows drivers work just fine with d3d though)
- for whatever reason it seems to ignore the turn off mintor after x minutes settings and turn it off after about a minute... annoying
- i cant find the advanced look and feel options so im currently unable to change the system font to tahoma... segoe ui is just so damn ugly bleah
- i managed to crash it completely by trying to open cpu z

otherwise its been working perfectly fine
Quote from Shotglass :used it daily for about a week now
problems thus far:
- some drivers refuse to install... managed to get one fo the to install properly using windows 7 compatibility mode but i still havent managed to get ogl compatible drivers to install for my intel hd 2000 (the windows drivers work just fine with d3d though)
- for whatever reason it seems to ignore the turn off mintor after x minutes settings and turn it off after about a minute... annoying
- i cant find the advanced look and feel options so im currently unable to change the system font to tahoma... segoe ui is just so damn ugly bleah
- i managed to crash it completely by trying to open cpu z

otherwise its been working perfectly fine

Would you recommend it over Windows 7?
Quote from Hahmo :Would you recommend it over Windows 7?

Don't even think about using the Preview build as main OS... It will be unusable in 2012 somewhere. And it's not as stable anyway.
Quote from Hahmo :Would you recommend it over Windows 7?

based on the fact that without ogl im unable to play either minecraft or altitude no
also its rathe rough round quite a few edges as of now
theres no real reason not to use it though
Quote from Shotglass :based on the fact that without ogl im unable to play either minecraft or altitude no
also its rathe rough round quite a few edges as of now
theres no real reason not to use it though

Well hmh, i'm a minecraft player too and well, I don't want another shitty OS with annoying things (vista for few good years now)..
I guess I'll just look into Win 7
well that applies strictly to my intel graphics card... you mileage may vary dramatically depending on your hardware
nVidia and AMD drivers provide their own OpenGL implementation, so as long as you can get those working you should be OK.
I installed Windows 8 on VirtualBox to get a bit into this new interface because soon I'm moving to it. I already googled how to get back original Win 7 start menu, there are some registry hacks that allow this, didn't tried it jet but think it should work.
One thing that bothers me a lot, I can't find where are list of applications installed. When I press WIN key this Metro UI appears, but there are only this crappy icons, I can't find "All programs". Of couse I can start typing name of specific application and then it appears in search, but thats not it. So where it is?
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I already googled how to get back original Win 7 start menu, there are some registry hacks that allow this, didn't tried it jet but think it should work.

Registry hacks only worked in the betas but not in the final release, as MS completely removed the legacy start menu for the retail version. Start8 is as good as you can get to the old start menu.

To get all apps, you need to right click in metro to make the all-apps button visible. Why? Who knows.
I installed Windows 8 and i hate it. It is too hard
Navigate between the two interfaces is hard if you have multiple programes in the background
#37 - DeKo
Quote from theodu69 :I installed Windows 8 and i hate it. It is too hard
Navigate between the two interfaces is hard if you have multiple programes in the background

Top left switches works like a task switcher, bottom left always takes you to start, or you can just hit the start button on your keyboard. I'm actually enjoying W8.
Some stuff they did is so wrong, I mean which desktop user will actually find helpfull Metro Maybe it will be good for tablets, but most of tablets nowadays use Android, Microsoft lost battle in that feild as far as I can see. There should be option to select will you use Metro or not while installing OS.
Generaly in some common tasks it feels faster. Also planing to get 128 GB SATA3 SSD before fully upgrade to Win 8, this will be sweet
#39 - DeKo
Metro is growing on me, obviously it's ideal for tablets but I really enjoy using it with a plain old mouse, everything is laid out exactly the way I want with my apps all grouped together and easily visible, it seems to me that people just don't like change.

I also completely disagree that Microsoft have lost the battle, Even Windows RT has massive advantages, running proper Windows 8 on a tablet is 1000x better than running a phone OS. It just needs time to mature and get the proper hardware out for it. Why would you get an android tablet (or ipad), with all it's restrictions, when you could basically get a PC?
I'm enjoying 8 a lot, to be honest.

It's faster, it understands my AMD Bulldozer, and Metro - once you actually take the time to understand it and customize it to your needs - works better than the start menu will ever work.
#41 - JJ72
upgrade complete!

The Metro is a great hub for media and social media, when you are not doing anything serious. Instant update in terms of mail etc, added with the ease in cloud storage...brilliant.

For conventional work the desktop is just one click away, and none of my program on 7 needed updating!
Quote from DeKo :Metro is growing on me, obviously it's ideal for tablets but I really enjoy using it with a plain old mouse, everything is laid out exactly the way I want with my apps all grouped together and easily visible, it seems to me that people just don't like change.

I also completely disagree that Microsoft have lost the battle, Even Windows RT has massive advantages, running proper Windows 8 on a tablet is 1000x better than running a phone OS. It just needs time to mature and get the proper hardware out for it. Why would you get an android tablet (or ipad), with all it's restrictions, when you could basically get a PC?

I agree Windows is far more usable than Android, but if you check prices Androids are 2-3 times cheaper than Windows tablets. And most of people use tablets for surfing web, reading PDFs, ... nothing serious for what you need windows
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Some stuff they did is so wrong, I mean which desktop user will actually find helpfull Metro Maybe it will be good for tablets, but most of tablets nowadays use Android, Microsoft lost battle in that feild as far as I can see. There should be option to select will you use Metro or not while installing OS.
Generaly in some common tasks it feels faster. Also planing to get 128 GB SATA3 SSD before fully upgrade to Win 8, this will be sweet

Tablets are the reason it came out so soon and has that UI. They wanted to make sure they got it right this time before putting any out. But the tablets will be competing with Apple too, so the price will probably stay high.
It is cool, it kinds brings in the seemless app/OS interface usually seen in smartphones. Live tiles rock. Of course, I miss the useful Start->Programs. One bad thing that happened to me, ever since I installed win 8, my keys (steer/throttle ) etc get stuck mid corner, in LFS

Windows Developer Preview (Windows 8)
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG