The online racing simulator
New Computer = Lagging
(35 posts, started )
Quote from MadCatX :HDD partitioning and process affinity shouldn't have any effect on this.

I've fixed a couple of games that had sudden slow time dips before by setting affinity, most notably games using the EGO engine. I'd give it a shot.
I hate to bring this back and bother everyone again. I have yet to solve this issue (but have not put any time or effort into fixing it over the past 2 months...been very busy)

I have learned that my game runs perfectly fine when running on the integrated graphics processor, I removed the power connectors from the video cars and plugged my monitor into the on-board card and have played LFS just fine. I then switched back over the the video card, using the drivers that came with the video card on the included CD and experienced the same problems. I uninstalled those drivers and tired the newest drivers off of Sapphire's website and am still experiencing my issue.

Does this new information shed any light?

I have a support ticket open with Sapphire right now. I am work with their techs but the problem is most prevalent in LFS. In LFS, I lost 2-3 and up to 5 seconds each minute, in Nascar Racing 2003 Season I lost at max 0.3 seconds each minute
Rather than Sapphire I'd blame your MB's BIOS for this. There is not much you can do, but I'd check if there is a BIOS update available for your MB. If there isn't one or if it doesn't solve the problem, try running this in command prompt with admin rights(!)

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

and reboot. This will force Windows 7 to use just HPET counter to keep track of time. If this helps, report a bug to your MB's manufacturer.
I went to Gigabyte (MoBo manufacturer) first, all I got was a barely understandable typed message by someone who clearly can't speak English telling me to make sure PEG was selected in the BIOS under "Initial Display" (which is already was), they told me to go the the video card manufacturer.

I am not necessarly blaming Sapphire, I did not know which direction to go. It seemed like a clock issue so I went to the MoBo first, they said "set your bios up this way, if that does not fix it, go to the video card company" ... so I did such and went to the Video card company and they seem to be a lot more interested in helping...the tech actually speaks English and is asking follow up questions. So I am hoping that maybe the Sapphire guys can help me out even if they can confirm that the MoBo is the issue.

There are several Bios updates for my MoBo...time to research flashing the Bios
Just a thought, it's possible that your PSU can't quite cut it. It's an older, cheaper design (shown by the max currents - noone's ever needed 300W of 3.3 & 5V, those high currents are simply a way of making it seem more powerful than it really is).

The manual isn't clear if the PCIe power connectors are on the same 12V rail or not (another sign of the quality level of the PSU). If they're on the same rail, then it's very possible that the GPU is overloading that rail.

Download some software that will display the voltages (eg speedfan) and see if they drop significantly when the GPU is under load. This might also explain why it started behaving when Fraps was running - Fraps caps the framerate, potentially reducing the GPU workload.

Something else to note regarding the SSD partitions - 20GB is not enough for a 64bit windows installation. My c:\windows\ directory alone is 30GB.
Ok, I have flashed the Bios up to version F6 (from F1), there have been 6 bios updates in the past 4 months for this thing.

I also ran speedfan on the second monitor as I raced (and glitched and timed out :P ) online and the video card has a solid 1.17V, I also had the Catalyst control Center running, the Vid card never went beyond 51*C and 30% activity.

It seems really hit and miss, I was on last night playing around a a server with 4-6 people with no problems, today I was spectating with no problems. Went back on this evening and spectated at cargame, I witnessed no glitching but in Network de-bug I had InitTime values ranging anywhere from +30 to -50. I then jumped onto the AirAttack FMB server and ran back into values of -100 all the way to -1000 and eventual time-out.

Desperately trying to see what I am doing differently each time I go on to see what is causing it to work and what is causing it to not work, i just can not find things I am doing differently
Well for the record, My bios is no longer functioning. I wanted to look at a few things, I got into the bios and it immediately froze, the mouse would not move (it is a mouse driven BIOS), the keys would not move the cursor and the front page has temperature read-outs and CPU frequencies and clock frequencies that have always twitched and jittered a little bit (by which I mean the numbers would constantly chance ever so slightly. All those read-outs were non-changing.

I re-booted and it will boot Windows, so I re-booted again to re-try to get into the bios, I hit delete, half of the bios front page loaded and that it froze again. I can hit the re-boot button and it will boot windows, but I can not get the Bios to function

...ready to throw this MoBo out the window
Have you tried changing the CMOS battery on the motherboard? It might not get you anywhere, but it's a cheap and easy thing to test.
Quote from amp88 :Have you tried changing the CMOS battery on the motherboard? It might not get you anywhere, but it's a cheap and easy thing to test.

Just keep in mind that it's necessary to keep the battery out for at least a couple of minutes for this to be effective.

New Computer = Lagging
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG