The online racing simulator
OMFG, you're such an LFS fanboy, Tristan. A real GT driver said its so immersive that he almost missed a race because he was enjoying GTR so much.

:hihi:

/sarcasm

One thing I forgot to add in my previous post... is it just me or do the cars really feel a lot heavier than they are/should be? These things should be what... 1100kg? They feel like they're as heavy as the FZ50 in LFS and that's 1400+kg. And the rumble strips are still shit, but that's obvious.
Feels more like GTR1½ or "GTL with new cars" but it felt fun too. Countersteering feels a little better but it still makes the car do something "very interesting". And of course the FF is crap. I don't know of course this is just a demo but it has some kind of EAish quickly done & unpolished feeling. Maybe something to do with the SimBin-Blimey 1 game contract things and a complete lack of motivation to finish it or something?

I have pretty low-end computer (axp2200+/1GB/9500pro). Run well with DX8 & default settings on time trial, but didn't even try full grid race because training with other cars and rain alone in time trial made fps drop to unplayable rates thanks to the FPS-related steering lag.

You can unlock all the other demo cars too... and seems like old GTR/GTL tracks works too
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=260919&page=4

Quote from tristancliffe :Sinbin won't be getting my money I can tell you that. Crap of the Year award goes to...

That award is already reserverd for nK Poo. Just because of the completely ridiculous situation it currently has... or actually it has no current situation because Kunos has refused to communicate with the community since April.
Quote from deggis :I don't know of course this is just a demo but it has some kind of EAish quickly done & unpolished feeling.

they shouldve just called it gtr 2006
Quote from Blackout :It has arcade mode....yyyyw. But I guess that after you test the demo and play LFS next time you remember why you like this more than GTR.

you hit it.

I played the GTR2-Demo, and i hate it.
Before LFS i played GTR, and i liked GTR much.
The bad Community, bad public racing, and the damn multiplayer-bugs destroyed the fun.
That brought me to LFS, and i love LFS.
I never installed GTR since i got my LFS-Licence, and after testing the GTR2-Demo i know how much i love LFS.
Quote from Rob76 :Is this legit, if I own GTL? Probably not if I bothered to read the ToCs I agreed to on install. But if it is, do the tracks from GTR (which I can't use due to Simbin not updating the starforce drivers to x64 compatible) also work?

What i meant was user created tracks for GTL work in this demo. Someone has got the original GTL tracks working but doing something that involves rfactor illepall

But you can download a GTL track from here: http://probex.nfscity.com/foru ... ase.asp?Type=3&Cat=80 and use the following methods to make it work in GTR 2.

1. Backup your Barcelona folder somewhere.
  2. Copy your GTL track to \GameData\Locations
  3. Rename the track folder to "Barcelona" (might be unnecessary, but did it anyway to keep the form)
  4. Rename the files in a way that you replace the prior track name prefixes with "3Barcelona"
  5. Open the .gdb and rename the track to "3Barcelona" in the first line
  6. Open the .trk and change the paths to match the new folder name and file names
  7. If the skies_central.gtl is linked in the .trk, change it to skies_central.gtr

If you are running in DX7 mode some tracks like the 'ring wont work you need to run in at least DX8 mode.
its much improved over gtr/gtl... but i think i will wait for driver's republic as long as i can. that game has much better phyisc/force feedback even in its super early alpha stages. you can just feel that there's alot more work put into the physics of DR and LFS than gtr2...
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from sil3ntwar :Just got all the cars that came with the game driveable.

Download this http://rapidshare.de/files/26620547/Voitures_Bonux.rar.html and use this readme http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... =3121828&postcount=71

And you know have access to a viper, lister storm, 550 and a saleen s7.

So now with pretty much any track and most cars its almost the full game

Wont stop me from buying it though.

Or if you have GTL, apparently you can copy the GTR2 cars into GTL and they work perfectly, havent tried it yet though.
Quote from VALE 46 :Or if you have GTL, apparently you can copy the GTR2 cars into GTL and they work perfectly, havent tried it yet though.

If that's true, it sort of blows Simbin/Blimey's claims of huge improvements out of the water. The biggest thing seems to be the rain, which beyond the visuals, just makes the cars have less feeling.

I've had some good fun with GTR2 demo today......but the more time I spend the more I realise it hasn't moved on much from GTR. Better grip, but then again one of the GTR demos had tuned down physics that felt very similar too.
Quote from Rob76 :I've had some good fun with GTR2 demo today......but the more time I spend the more I realise it hasn't moved on much from GTR. Better grip, but then again one of the GTR demos had tuned down physics that felt very similar too.

i gather pretty much all they did was alter the tyre curves to something more realistic (according to todds posts about tyre physics at least)

ill leave the bits about playing other tracks and cars to the mods ... im not gonna get into that discussion again
Quote from Shotglass :i gather pretty much all they did was alter the tyre curves to something more realistic (according to todds posts about tyre physics at least)

ill leave the bits about playing other tracks and cars to the mods ... im not gonna get into that discussion again

It all looks a little messy anyway. As a full paying customer of GTR and GTL, it would be nice if the full GTR2 had an import function to bring everything into the latest platform, but it'd probably leave it all too easy to abuse.
The demo is a bit buggy for me. The car and track additions above are the main ones. Also, driving about their are a few bugs too. The best one is when your waiting to start the race, you can go at anypoint you have control, even before the green light and wont get a flag / DQ
i figured that flags were just disabled. i saw an option to turn on flags but i never botherd too...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I can't get it to work here... As soon as I click either Time Trials or Race Weekend my pc crashes... anyone else had this problem?
yeah with some hex editing you can enable all cars and tracks easily. i havent figured out how to all enable cars but tracks is easy.
1.) create a copy of the original gtr2demo.exe and save it as a backup somewhere

Use hex workshop or a similar program for the steps below. i searched for "Possible problems"
2.)
Quote from Sil3ntWar :I have edited the car executables that were provided in this thread to allow all tracks. However i have a slow upload so i dont really want to upload them. It looks like you cant have more than 2 cars in game at a time but i havent really looked at it.

For anyone who knows how to hex edit do this:

Go to offset 00319518 or somewhere around there and find the line:

" Possible problems:.3Barcelona.trk " and change it to" Possible problems:.**********.trk "

Do this for all the different car executables you have and now you can have all cars + all tracks sort of.

3.) steps below are to be done to each track folder that you are adding
change the files with gtl extensions to gtr.

open up the trk file and change all the gtl extensions to gtr

for suzuka i did
MASFile=skies_central.gtr
MASFile=Suzuka.gtr
MASFile=SuzukaMap.gtr
thats about it... you dont have to change the folder name.

and thats it i have an exe with the saleen unlocked so i just edited that one to unlock all tracks... but i dont understand how to unlock all cars.
Quote from traxxion :I can't get it to work here... As soon as I click either Time Trials or Race Weekend my pc crashes... anyone else had this problem?

Yes, I had that problem when I wanted to test GTR(1), GTL and now GTR2 as well... So, it has been erased from my harddisk after just 10 minutes...
I quite like it! Dunno if it was just cause I had a superb first race, but I guess i'll need to give it some more time. It's very immersive, but overall it still lacks something that LFS has. I may consider buying it, but i'll give the demo more time before I decide.
Quote from bbman :So, it has been erased from my harddisk after just 10 minutes...

Hmmm, guess that's exactly what's gonna happen here... Shame, cos from what I hear it's pretty good!
Where is that "classes=" line that the guy talks about?

edit: i found it.
Quote from traxxion :Hmmm, guess that's exactly what's gonna happen here... Shame, cos from what I hear it's pretty good!

I had this same problem with GTR1 demo v2. GTL crashed on loading and ran very slowly. GTR press demo was fine. I found it always does it on DX7 and only sometimes on DX8 or 9.
Quote from ajp71 :I had this same problem with GTR1 demo v2. GTL crashed on loading and ran very slowly. GTR press demo was fine. I found it always does it on DX7 and only sometimes on DX8 or 9.

Weel, I'm on DX9 here, so...
Quote from thisnameistaken :I totally agree. Maybe it's because I never bothered with GTR/GTL, but GTR2 just feels... well, it doesn't "feel" at all - that's the problem. nK Pro was* a better experience than this.

* Assuming it's dead now.

ditto.

LFS and nKpro both have at the least good feedback IMO so that you can actually tell what the car is doing. You can basically get in a car and go and know when you can push etc etc etc etc etc.
Having had a bit more of the GTR2 section over at RSC it's hard to resist LMAO seeing the fanboys comparing how amazing the new physics are when somebody has posted a conversion of the Ferrari settings to GTR1 which is supposed to handle virtually the same except for less grip at low speed. The funniest thing though is the fight between rFactor and GTR when no one seems to remember they're all based on the same physics engine.

Also when they start fighting over there they don't seem to be able to talk in anything other than vague general terms such as some GT driver (who happens to be SimBin's CEO) says it's more realistic than GTR1 therefore it is. Another guy was using the arguement that a kart he once drove had grip like the 600 bhp GT cars therefore GTR is right. The funniest thing though is that everybody says that the demo isn't meant to have the same physics as the finished game and the final game will have much better physics whatever....
ajp71 you are definitely right. In fact it is very strange when reading the RSC forums, like everyone is wearing blinkers and if they look beyond them they will boil and die. What strikes me is that absolutely nobody mentions LFS as though its some kind of taboo word.

Also glance down the GTR2 forum and any thread that has a slight negative comment about the game is just totally ignored and has 1 or 2 replies.

Oh well their loss not ours illepall

LFS community GTR2 Demo try-out?
(386 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG