The online racing simulator
Quote from edge3147 :
The fact that you try to justify his actions by saying they are not illegal is just crazy.

Justify? Where?

It's illegal in your eyes but every country has his own law you know. Like I explained before (but you do not listen apparently) there is no law in Moldavia which makes this illegal. Well.. Maybe there is, but they have different priorities there.

Maybe it's difficult to understand if you are from the US but there is a bigger world out there with different laws, different rules and different enforcement.

Sadly, because this does annoy me too, believe me. But there is no world law against this.
Quote from edge3147 :Don't worry, your team will fail soon enough.

Pot calling the kettle black.
Quote from Bmxtwins :orly, http://steamcommunity.com/id/luciakiss

Just did some googling

Quote from cargame.nl :http://css.setti.info/forum/to ... _view__findpost__p__71412

Thanks for actually posting something useful in this thread.

Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Devs have nothing to do with DoS attacks, its up to you to secure your server with firewall...

BTW thanks for unreplied PM

Second post in this thread was the right one. You guys should have spent time learning how to secure a server rather than write here about how bad he is.

Because you see, _I_ cannot stop him from here. You can.
I can ban his account, but it's likely that he'll just get pissed more and dos your server 24/7. So how will that have helped?

You're a fun target because you're an easy target. Do you want to remain that? You'll be better off learning some things about server security (how to identify malusers and how to stop them).
btw, for good measure :

I'm not saying these people should not be reported.
I'm saying you're going about this the wrong way ('you' being the people in this thread with the dos problem).

Step 1) Identify the abuser and collect information about him (this is something you do)
Step 2) block the abuser (this also is something you do. If you don't know how, then google can show you - I hope you're not allergic to learning)
Step 3) report the user to us accompanied with the evidence you collected.

Then we ban the person and the issue is over with.
Coming here in panic mode screaming about how he's annoying you and how you have to shut down a host will not lead to any useful results.
Quote from Victor :Thanks for actually posting something useful in this thread.

Second post in this thread was the right one. You guys should have spent time learning how to secure a server rather than write here about how bad he is.

Because you see, _I_ cannot stop him from here. You can.
I can ban his account, but it's likely that he'll just get pissed more and dos your server 24/7. So how will that have helped?

You're a fun target because you're an easy target. Do you want to remain that? You'll be better off learning some things about server security (how to identify malusers and how to stop them).

End User Agreement says pretty clearly something like this is not allowed, so why to try and make us the bad guys? We are just trying to get this resolved and let the community know about this guy.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 0321&highlight=hacker

Don't come and try to tell us what we did is wrong, we were letting the community know about this guy just like that last thread about someone hacking LFS so how is this any more wrong than the other thread that caused a new test patch to be tested?

1.5 Extreme disruptive or offensive behaviour by a user,
towards the developers or [B][U][I][COLOR="Red"]members of the community[/COLOR][/I][/U][/B],
may result in temporary or permanent suspension of the
user's Live for Speed license.

He's just telling you that if you want to stop them, you have to do step 1 and 2 yourselves because step 3 won't stop them by itself. He's trying to help, but he can only do so much. He can't do anything more than what he is doing.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :He received master server ban few moments ago

Quote from IsaacPrice :He's just telling you that if you want to stop them, you have to do step 1 and 2 yourselves because step 3 won't stop them by itself. He's trying to help, but he can only do so much. He can't do anything more than what he is doing.

This is the response that should have come from an Admin, not the response that was given.

We merely did the same thing that was done when anakin skywalker was using the exploit to gain admin to servers, so the response from victor was kinda uncalled for, nobody jumped down their throat for making that thread.

It's amazing, this is a community forum and when the community tries to get something done on it, it ends up 2 ways. You get trolled endlessly or your get no response from where it really matters.

This community should start acting like a community and less like 4CHAN.
You're getting butthurt out of nothing, HE CANT HELP MORE THAN HE HAS. Perhaps he could have pointed out that actually he did ban them, but its not like he was given a chance either, someone spotted it first. What I posted is what I interpret from his post, so he has already said what I said. If you own a server, have an issue with the server and come on crying how it's totally unfair and saying how the devs should fix it...then I can imagine why they would find that frustrating. The community itself maybe could have pointed you better in the right direction of how to fix it, but it wouldn't have been anything extra to what google could do for you.

If the dev is faced with someone wanting help, but doesnt help themselves...I don't know what you expect them to do. If they would have the time to sugarcoat I would be more concerned because there hasnt been a physics update or a new track for so long but they arent so busy that they can help more in this situation.
Quote from IsaacPrice :You're getting butthurt out of nothing, HE CANT HELP MORE THAN HE HAS. Perhaps he could have pointed out that actually he did ban them, but its not like he was given a chance either, someone spotted it first. What I posted is what I interpret from his post, so he has already said what I said. If you own a server, have an issue with the server and come on crying how it's totally unfair and saying how the devs should fix it...then I can imagine why they would find that frustrating. The community itself maybe could have pointed you better in the right direction of how to fix it, but it wouldn't have been anything extra to what google could do for you.

If the dev is faced with someone wanting help, but doesnt help themselves...I don't know what you expect them to do. If they would have the time to sugarcoat I would be more concerned because there hasnt been a physics update or a new track for so long but they arent so busy that they can help more in this situation.

Did you even read my post????

Quote from edge3147 :
We merely did the same thing that was done when anakin skywalker was using the exploit to gain admin to servers, so the response from victor was kinda uncalled for, nobody jumped down their throat for making that thread.

It's amazing, this is a community forum and when the community tries to get something done on it, it ends up 2 ways. You get trolled endlessly or your get no response from where it really matters.

This community should start acting like a community and less like 4CHAN.

LLM(BMX and Mustang), ixion (Franky), and all the other Trolls always have something negative to say it seems.
I'm not gonna comment on the security side because when you have 60+ GB of data inbound, no 'software' firewall will save you. By time I got back in to box there was no useful information in logs of what type of DDoS it was.... So I had nothing to post.

Anyhow thanks LFS Dev's for taking action on someone who has been pissing people off for months.
I did, but its completely different. If someone gains admin to a server, then that is a game issue and the game is at fault, and the game has to be altered to address the issue. They need the devs help to fix that, in this case its not the devs issue to fix, they can ban the user but that won't fix the issue. If they don't know anything about IT etc, then they could make the misunderstanding, but in the 2nd post they are then pointed in the right direction. Its 2 completely different cases.
Quote from IsaacPrice :I did, but its completely different. If someone gains admin to a server, then that is a game issue and the game is at fault, and the game has to be altered to address the issue. They need the devs help to fix that, in this case its not the devs issue to fix, they can ban the user but that won't fix the issue. If they don't know anything about IT etc, then they could make the misunderstanding, but in the 2nd post they are then pointed in the right direction. Its 2 completely different cases.

It's not 2 different cases, we were not asking the LFS devs to stop his DDoS attacks, we were merely asking them to punish this fool for breaking the user agreement we all agreed to when we purchased this software.

How is that so hard to understand and comprehend?
They have? So whats the problem. I don't see why you are complaining when they did that. They also told you that it won't stop them attacking the server, which is true...
Quote from edge3147 :Did you even read my post????
LLM, TRR, and all the other Trolls always have something negative to say it seems.

Yes he did and he is absolutely right. Situation with Anakin or whoever that guy was was totally different as he was exploiting a vulnerability in LFS code. Analyzing and reporting such an incident is the correct thing to do. This thread is all about a plain simple DoS attack. Every networking service is vulnerable to DoS and it's the responsibility of the person who actually runs the server to do their best to minimize the damage when such an attack takes place. Perma-banning the attacker is more of a petty revenge than an actual security measure, you don't need LFS account to DoS LFS servers. (BTW, I don't see any conclusive evidence that HeCosmin was really behind this attack except for a few forum posts so I don't see on what grounds he should be banned)

Victor's post should be stickied and displayed to everyone who goes on the forum whining that someone has downed their server.
-
(edge3147) DELETED by edge3147
Quote from edge3147 :It's not 2 different cases, we were not asking the LFS devs to stop his DDoS attacks, we were merely asking them to punish this fool for breaking the user agreement we all agreed to when we purchased this software.

How is that so hard to understand and comprehend?

case 1: users can't solve the problem (banning doesn't work), so the devs are required to sort the exploit
case 2: the devs can't solve the problem (banning doesn't work), so the users are required to sort the ddos

How hard can it be to understand the difference?
Quote from MadCatX :Yes he did and he is absolutely right. Situation with Anakin or whoever that guy was was totally different as he was exploiting a vulnerability in LFS code. Analyzing and reporting such an incident is the correct thing to do. This thread is all about a plain simple DoS attack. Every networking service is vulnerable to DoS and it's the responsibility of the person who actually runs the server to do their best to minimize the damage when such an attack takes place. Perma-banning the attacker is more of a petty revenge than an actual security measure, you don't need LFS account to DoS LFS servers. (BTW, I don't see any conclusive evidence that HeCosmin was really behind this attack except for a few forum posts so I don't see on what grounds he should be banned)

Victor's post should be stickied and displayed to everyone who goes on the forum whining that someone has downed their server.

it is not about stopping the attack. it is about obeying the user agreement we all agreed to when we bought LFS, or does nobody read that stuff???

He came to our servers saying he was going to bring them down, then BAM, they go down and stay down. Coincidence? Doubtful.

If the devs don't act, it's like saying the agreement is void and no one has to follow it.

It's not about stopping the attack its about the principal of the matter something children do not understand.
Quote from boothy :case 1: users can't solve the problem (banning doesn't work), so the devs are required to sort the exploit
case 2: the devs can't solve the problem (banning doesn't work), so the users are required to sort the ddos

How hard can it be to understand the difference?

http://www.lfs.net/?page=agreement

1.5 Extreme disruptive or offensive behaviour by a user, towards the developers or members of the community, may result in temporary or permanent suspension of the user's Live for Speed license.

Both incidents involved violating the User Agreement, nothing more, how is that different?

That's why user agreements are made, so people know what they can and can't do. It is upto the Moderators/Admins/Developers to stick to this agreement and enforce it fairly and promptly.
Quote from edge3147 :If the devs don't act, it's like saying the agreement is void and no one has to follow it.

Is this your issue here? That we don't act?
Because today I got a forwarded email from Geraldine who's doing lfstech mails at the moment, regarding this DoS issue. It was the first I heard about it.

Is it like Ancilenet wrote "Anyhow thanks LFS Dev's for taking action on someone who has been pissing people off for months." ?

I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not ... but either way, how was I supposed to do something about it if I didn't know about it?

1) document the problem
2) fix the problem if you can
3) report the problem

Don't just assume others will fix it for you.

Anyway, I think this thread is more emotion than fact and thank you MadCatX for the words I was looking for but couldn't find.
Quote from edge3147 :Did you even read my post????
LLM, TRR, and all the other Trolls always have something negative to say it seems..

What the flying cow, does my team have to do with this?
Quote from Victor :

Is it like Ancilenet wrote "Anyhow thanks LFS Dev's for taking action on someone who has been pissing people off for months." ?

I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not ... but either way, how was I supposed to do something about it if I didn't know about it?

That was a compliment! - I only emailed you guys after I had done some research on the guy and wanted to point out that he was till causing people problems.
Quote from PoVo :AMG servers suffered from this too. Not sure what you're laughing about. You're a disgrace to the LFS community in this situation

thanks
Quote from edge3147 :Don't worry, your team will fail soon enough.

lol ahah no chance with our lineup.

you started 5-6 teams and all failed in just few days! ixion started 3-4weeks ago and already we winning races and leading championships.

so,no.
Quote from rockclan :What the flying cow, does my team have to do with this?

Sorry, forgot that franky left so thats where I got TRR from.
My mistake.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG