The online racing simulator
Best Tablet Out There?
(32 posts, started )
#1 - Zay
Best Tablet Out There?
Hey guys,
My family and I are looking into tablets, and when somebody in the house wants advice on technology, they always turn to me because I am the geekiest person in the house

So, I'd like some advice for a tablet to buy. Price isn't really an issue. I have never been a fan of apple or any of their products, but after doing some research, it looks as though the iPad 3 could actually be the best tablet out there right now? I really don't like iOS at all either, and I find android much, much better in terms of OS. But since it's going to be a family tablet I'm not going to want to jailbreak it either, just because my mom and dad really aren't tech savvy, and they'd end up messing something up. However, OS isnt as big a deal as speed, RAM, screen, etc. We also need the tablet in the next couple weeks, so we can't wait until the next best thing comes out either. It must also have a speedy data connection. What about the blackberry playbook? Nexus 7?

Thanks guys,

Zay
Blackberry Playbook is something you'd definitively want to avoid.
Nexus 7 would be quite a good choice, I have it myself and I love it. 10" tablets are just too big for me, 7" is perfect.
The Nexus 7 is a very good tablet, just a shame about it's build quality
Quote from lukelfs :The Nexus 7 is a very good tablet, just a shame about it's build quality

Erm.. what complains you have about it's build quality? IMO it's great.
Android: Nexus 7
iOS: iPad
Blackberry: Get out.

Quote from lukelfs :The Nexus 7 is a very good tablet, just a shame about it's build quality

What's so bad about the build quality? Mine looks and performs perfectly.
Nexus 7, I'm planning on switching my 3rd gen iPad to one soon.
#7 - Jakg
The Playbook is good for the price (it blows all Android tablets out of the water and that price point).

IME the iPad 3 is the best tablet on the market at the moment, because the UI is just so much better & slicker and all the apps are actually designed for a large screen (rather than a scaled phone app).

Not keen on the Nexus 7 personally, however for me a 7" tablet is more useful than a 10" one (I can put a 7" tablet in my pocket - I have to carry a 13" laptop with me anyway so a 10" tablet isn't really much more portable).

Having said that, I still haven't really found a tablet I've used enough to justify keeping it
Quote from Jakg :The Playbook is good for the price (it blows all Android tablets out of the water and that price point).

New unlocked Playbook - $260
Nexus 7 - $249
so how exactly is Playbook better at pricing?
Also, it's cheap because it's pretty much dead.
How about a Microsoft Surface when it's out?

iPad 3 best tablet? lol'd
#10 - Jakg
Quote from E.Reiljans :New unlocked Playbook - $260
Nexus 7 - $249
so how exactly is Playbook better at pricing?
Also, it's cheap because it's pretty much dead.

In the UK a Nexus 7 is £199 and a 64GB Playbook is £129.

When someone comes into work looking for a tablet for ~£100, they can either get some godawful Archos tablet or the Playbook... I know which one I'd chose.
Quote from Bose321 :How about a Microsoft Surface when it's out?

If it's an appliance/tool you want, then iPad is propably the best. It's pretty much flawless from stability and usability standpoint. The operating system, as closed as it may be, has been pretty much polished to perfection.

However, if you want a nice gadget to customise and make your own, then go Nexus 7. Keep in mind that Android still has some inconsistensies and design flaws even in completely stock form, but it's improving at an incredible rate.

Playbook is pretty much a dead platform walking, wouldn't bother wasting my time/money with it.
I'm considering an iPad. Or at least the Mini version. No interest in alternatives with other OSes. Looks like I'll have to wait until the next generation of Android/Windows (and I don't mean next version) before they are viable alternatives for me.
What are you planning to use the tablet for?

I think they're useful in business - wherever you need a very portable computer and the software only needs a very simple interface (and the iPad is a good unit but the closed nature of iOS and iTunes make it a massive pain in the arse to develop bespoke software for it) - but why consumers buy them I've no idea. Probably because they've got disposable income and can't think of anything better to waste it on.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Erm.. what complains you have about it's build quality? IMO it's great.

Are you serious? Loads of people had screen issues, flickering or screen lift, people received their tablets with blown speakers etc.. so many issues with it, then Asus decided to remove screws to help with the screen lift issue.
Quote from lukelfs :Are you serious? Loads of people had screen issues, flickering or screen lift, people received their tablets with blown speakers etc.. so many issues with it, then Asus decided to remove screws to help with the screen lift issue.

The flickering is due to an software, not hardware. I've never heard (through social media) about any blown speakers. Who knows, I just must be a lucky tester.
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :The flickering is due to an software, not hardware. I've never heard (through social media) about any blown speakers. Who knows, I just must be a lucky tester.

Mmm I'm not sure about that, I've read people placing something on the wifi ground point (on the back cover) and it fixes their screen flicker.

I'm not hating on the Nexus, it's a great device and still imo the best tablet out there atm, but it does have poor build quality.
Quote from Zay :Hey guys,
My family and I are looking into tablets, and when somebody in the house wants advice on technology, they always turn to me because I am the geekiest person in the house

So, I'd like some advice for a tablet to buy. Price isn't really an issue. I have never been a fan of apple or any of their products, but after doing some research, it looks as though the iPad 3 could actually be the best tablet out there right now? I really don't like iOS at all either, and I find android much, much better in terms of OS. But since it's going to be a family tablet I'm not going to want to jailbreak it either, just because my mom and dad really aren't tech savvy, and they'd end up messing something up. However, OS isnt as big a deal as speed, RAM, screen, etc. We also need the tablet in the next couple weeks, so we can't wait until the next best thing comes out either. It must also have a speedy data connection. What about the blackberry playbook? Nexus 7?

Thanks guys,

Zay

iOS is much better than Android overall. Much more stable, infinite more apps.
The only con is that you have to pay a lot to have an ipad.
That's why I only use android.

If you have the money, don't think twice, go get an ipad. If you are in a low budget, go get the Google Nexus 7 (mostly made by asus AFAIK).

Quote from Bose321 :How about a Microsoft Surface when it's out?

Tell me what is the best tablet then. You don't know what you talking about do you?
Apple has much more applications than android. The O.S. is much more stable. That's not even comparable.
The only 2 obvious cons I see are the price and not allowing you to personalize that much. Android in that field wins of course.
iPad mini coming out and its pretty cheap.
>iPad Mini
>1024x768
>2012

lol'd
Quote from OTone :Tell me what is the best tablet then. You don't know what you talking about do you?
Apple has much more applications than android. The O.S. is much more stable. That's not even comparable.
The only 2 obvious cons I see are the price and not allowing you to personalize that much. Android in that field wins of course.

Yeah, having more apps and being supposedly more stable (lol) is totally a good reason why an iPad is the best tablet.
Quote from Bmxtwins :iPad mini coming out and its pretty cheap.

Pretty cheap? Eh no.
Quote from OTone :iOS is much better than Android overall. Much more stable, infinite more apps.
The only con is that you have to pay a lot to have an ipad.
That's why I only use android.

More stable? Nope. Much more stable? No ****ing way.
Infinite apps - LOL NO.
Also, lol @ losing warranty when you jailbreak a iPad. Almost all Android tablets can be rooted without losing warranty.
I bet you there will be a retina iPad mini in a years time, it's pretty obvious they left that door open and are simply baiting early adopters at this stage. I'd still rather a Nexus 7 though. Also cheers to Apple for making my 6 months old iPad 3 now outdated. :gnasher:

Not quite sure what you mean about losing warranty on iOS jailbreaking. I've jailbreaked all my iOS devices and the warranty has been untouched, as the software remains unchanged after doing a complete wipe/restore as long as you don't screw up anything.

Rooting my HTC One X however did void the warranty. Sure it's more of an HTC thing, but still.
I personally own a 10" ASUS Transformer TF300 with a Keyboard dock (seriously wished it ran something more laptop-ish, when using it with the dock) It strikes a good balance between a fun device, and price, If price really isn't a concern, you could as well go with the Transformer TF700 Infinity. but then, if you're looking into getting a 7", most certainly a Nexus 7. It's the same device on the inside as mine, practically.
Nexus 7 or galaxy note 10.1
-
(OTone) DELETED by OTone

Best Tablet Out There?
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG