The online racing simulator
Donated Concepts & Ideas
(9 posts, started )
Donated Concepts & Ideas
Part of my problem in life is focusing on a project. I've got so many of them on the go and new ones squeeze out the old ones quite quickly. However, some of them could be really interesting to;
  • Implement (we bit twiddlers all love a challenge)
  • Provide to the community as a server/network of servers, and ultimately result in (a brief) boost in player numbers
In the spirit of trying to avoid Yet Another Damn Cruise server, I thought I'd donate some of my ideas (that I probably won't finish [or start]) and see if anyone wanted to take them up.
  • Infected: An open circuit is chosen at the start of a round. One person is selected to be the Patient Zero (first infected). All other players get a 10 second head start to go where-ever they like around the map. The infected can infect other players by hitting them. The winner is the last uninfected person. Bonus awesome for a live website that shows player positions, current infected, etc. (ala xi4n's livemap, but specifically for infected mode - so cooler infected icons for players, etc.)
  • Last Racer Standing: Just like any FPS where you can player Last Man Standing. Gives great opportunities for custom layouts. Problematic is the reasonable determination of who the killer and victim are if you use IS_CON packets. You could do some ridiculous faux gun system, but it wouldn't work very well in my opinion.
  • Hillclimb: A weekly rolling hillclimb layout, is selected. At the end of the week the fastest person "wins". There's a half-arsed xi4n plugin on github, that needs better persistence (was gonna swap out for juggledb), an a web gui.
  • Rally Cross World Tour: There's not enough RallyX, lets be honest. It's ridiculously fun when you're not worried about your "safety rating". My original thought was a really low point-based license system to prevent blatent ramming, and to ensure that racers have some experience with the tracks at low speed, but such low requirements that they only take 3-5 races to gain the points to ensure that players can race with the vehicles that they want quickly.
I've got other ideas, but frankly, I think these are the most interesting ones. If you're interested, please just go ahead

Wishlist: Some of the ideas above would be really augmented if the server could force certain things on the player - like setups, temporary name changes, prefixing the name (such as "^2*INFECTED*^9") or skin changes to an infected skin.
Zombie Mod it's great. It's not very hard to implement with XI4N. LRS will be hard to do like you said, Hillclimb - personally it's bad idea (nothing interesting), RCWT - great!
Quote from the_angry_angel :
[LIST]
[*]Infected: An open circuit is chosen at the start of a round. One person is selected to be the Patient Zero (first infected). All other players get a 10 second head start to go where-ever they like around the map. The infected can infect other players by hitting them. The winner is the last uninfected person. Bonus awesome for a live website that shows player positions, current infected, etc. (ala xi4n's livemap, but specifically for infected mode - so cooler infected icons for players, etc.)

Wishlist: Some of the ideas above would be really augmented if the server could force certain things on the player - like setups, temporary name changes, prefixing the name (such as "^2*INFECTED*^9") or skin changes to an infected skin.

I really like this idea. Like games we were playing in school
This will be so much funnier than bunch of guys idling on cruise server
However I think using whole track is too much for just 32 cars, using less area will definitely be better.

*wishlist - things like temp name and skin change will be nice (if Scawen add them) but for now something like "rcm_all infected player" could work just fine
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :However I think using whole track is too much for just 32 cars, using less area will definitely be better.

I dunno, there's plenty of scope for hiding then It might make the first few infections take a few minutes, but the rate would probably increase until the last 1 or 2 This could be tackled with a time limit though Part of the original idea I have scribbled down is to give uninfected the ability to place a certain number of AutoX objects (via InSim). Uninfected could create barricades, etc.

Quote from DANIEL-CRO :*wishlist - things like temp name and skin change will be nice (if Scawen add them) but for now something like "rcm_all infected player" could work just fine

Yeah, but that's boring Plus if someone comes rushing towards you, you really want to know if they're running away from an infected or if they're infected themselves InSim button interface would work, but where the fun in that?

I've got a distant dream of writing a re-implementation of the server (and have had for quite a while) written in such a way that you can do way more than you can with InSim. I've started reverse engineering the protocols, but put the whole thing on hold until after the current round of test patch(es).
oh... I got it a bit wrong
I thought there is only one infected player all time. Like when player A (infected) touch player 2 (non-infected) then player A become non-infected and player B infected.
Both ideas are good, but I think this one will work better in case game is already running and somebody join server. He will have advantage then because nobody was able to infect him when he was offline .
No matter which idea got realised, I would definitely like to see it in action

* - my idea is a bit easier to code, you got only one infected player all time, so you can display his name in rcm message :P
Infected list on screen side, user who join have to wait to end of the round.
Yes, this will be nice but not quite handy. Imagine there is like 10 infected players, you notice one guy approaching to you, so you are going to check list (this may take few seconds, people usually have all type of colours in their names which make it even more dificult to read), while you are checking list, he have enough time to infect you.

If there is not some kind of predefined event, most people will just leave when they wont be able to join. People are generaly impatient, and this kind of game could last a bit longer
I need someone to test pre-pre-pre alpha version of plugin in 20-30 minutes. More info on PM.
I could do it tomorrow, maybe about 19:00 UTC - today is a bit tricky tho

Donated Concepts & Ideas
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG