The online racing simulator
Small bug in the appearance of the "Lost connection nickname (username)" message. The '(username)' part is colored the same as the last character in the nickname. Only spotted it once and it was red in that case. Figured it's worth a report because if it's not a bug and it's intended to be red it wont cost you much time.
After that i took a quick look at other similar messages that could be affected but found nothing out of the ordinary.
Quote from Nilex :Small bug in the appearance of the "Lost connection nickname (username)" message. The '(username)' part is colored the same as the last character in the nickname.

That shouldn't normally happen because there is a ^8 code after the %s on that line. Were you using English or Croatian?

I'm thinking either you don't have the latest translation file or there was something funny about the player's nickname. Do you have the MPR of when that happened?
Hm yes, you're right. It's most likely all is fine then since i'm using customized English file with different filename. One from B version... my bad
Maybe it isn't a big problem, but anyway: sometimes my game is crashing when i'm close it. I don't see error or something, just hear sound and game doesn't close while I don't press Enter or Esc. Same here with changing textures quality (low to high and back), but it happens when some track is loaded.
Scawen, I can this be?(you will see on screenshot)
I am hung on server cargame.nl S2 and time out.
Attached images
lfs_00000080.jpg
Quote from hazaky :Bugs I've had:
Game crashes when ending race (Singleplayer)
Game crashes when changing map (Singleplayer)

Had these happen just once.

Quote from Gr1jkeeRU :Maybe it isn't a big problem, but anyway: sometimes my game is crashing when i'm close it. I don't see error or something, just hear sound and game doesn't close while I don't press Enter or Esc. Same here with changing textures quality (low to high and back), but it happens when some track is loaded.

From your description it sounds like a hang (program stuck in infinite loop) not a crash (when an illegal instruction occurs and Windows should give some information).

Maybe hazaky had the same problem, or was that an actual crash? Can you make it happen any time, or is it just sometimes?

If anyone knows a way to reproduce a hang or crash, I'd be very pleased to know about it.

Quote from [Audi TT] :Scawen, I can this be?(you will see on screenshot)
I am hung on server cargame.nl S2 and time out.

Did you ever get timed out in the end? You should have lost connection eventually. Were there any messages? What happened next and how did you get out of it?
I also have problems with crashing on loading tracks aswell as exiting game. It happens every now and then, and is not uncommon. The thing in common is that it is stucked in an infitive loop and I canot get up an error table / info.

Windows 7
Nvidia Gforce GT420M Cuda 1GB
Intel Core i5-460M processor
DDR3 memory (3GB)

Don't know if this can be at any help, and it's worth mention that it has happend before the latest version too. Cross checked with a computer of a little older age, XP and dual core 6850 something if I remember correct.

Let me know if there is anything you can work out of that info.
Quote from Scawen :eventually. Were there any messages?

I can reply on this as well because my IP changes every night. Normally I get disconnected but this night it stayed stuck in the "no cars in race" message and a lag bar which was raised in red all the way to the top of the screen. I had to [esc], click button [leave] and rejoin. Everything back to normal after that.

Audi TT timed out during track change;

Quote :Sep 24 20:02:32 /track AS1X
Sep 24 20:02:32 Executed command : /track=AS1X
Sep 24 20:02:32 Executed command : /axload=A11
Sep 24 20:02:32 Loading track : AS1X
Sep 24 20:02:33 Handicaps :
Sep 24 20:02:39 NOS.qeD : ^Lnot that shit ':/
Sep 24 20:02:40 Leave @ 2520779 : Hawkka^vFIN
Sep 24 20:02:40 Hawkka^vFIN^L disconnected (HawkkaFIN)
Sep 24 20:02:55 NOS.qeD : ^Lis this one with 2 long straights?
Sep 24 20:02:55 Emergency send
Sep 24 20:02:56 Leave @ 2522320 : ^JÏ^L^dAudi TT
Sep 24 20:02:56 ^JÏ^L^dAudi TT^L timed out ([Audi TT])
Sep 24 20:02:56 Emergency send
Sep 24 20:02:56 Emergency send
Sep 24 20:02:56 Handicaps :
Sep 24 20:02:56 NOS.qeD : ^L!top ufr
Sep 24 20:02:57 Autocross : 1 checkpoint
Sep 24 20:02:57 Track loaded

This happened also quite often in the old version with various people. So people loosing connection during track changes is not new for me.
Quote :Did you ever get timed out in the end?

It was first time. Maybe because of is bad internet. (0.2 mbit\s) But internet worked.
Quote :You should have lost connection eventually. Were there any messages?

And so it was. Messages: Nickname time out (account)
Quote :What happened next and how did you get out of it?

Was disconnect from it.
Didn't get any message, just stayed there like there still was a server connection. Only indication was the gigantic red lag bar. Didn't try to actually join or type something because I knew what happened. Wasn't to be bothered reporting it too because it is just so normal to me, loosing connection because of this IP change.

I left and reconnected 11h50 minutes later btw
Quote from cargame.nl :Didn't get any message, just stayed there like there still was a server connection. Only indication was the gigantic red lag bar. Didn't try to actually join or type something because I knew what happened. Wasn't to be bothered reporting it too because it is just so normal to me, loosing connection because of this IP change.

I left and reconnected 11h50 minutes later btw

This was the first time with me. For so long it was not, I thought this is due to a new patch.
Hhmmm I think it's quite good in general. Seen some time outs in the log but nothing unusual in my eyes. It's too bad that status full server cannot be reached anymore, not enough people installed the patch.

Even have a hard time promoting it because there are more people then I thought having difficulties to just install this simple patch manually.
Quote from [Audi TT] :This was the first time with me. For so long it was not, I thought this is due to a new patch.

I experienced this in 0.6B, this bug is here for longer time

edit: Scawen, can you please add arrow when going out of pits on open configs, like on standard tracks. I know that cruisers wont like it, so maybe you can make it appear only if /cruise=no. Often there is real mess on open config tracks on cargame, people don't know which way they should go...
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I experienced this in 0.6B, this bug is here for longer time

edit: Scawen, can you please add arrow when going out of pits on open configs, like on standard tracks. I know that cruisers wont like it, so maybe you can make it appear only if /cruise=no. Often there is real mess on open config tracks on cargame, people don't know which way they should go...

put an arrow object in the pitlane =) or just code an insim program to do so
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :edit: Scawen, can you please add arrow when going out of pits on open configs, like on standard tracks. I know that cruisers wont like it, so maybe you can make it appear only if /cruise=no. Often there is real mess on open config tracks on cargame, people don't know which way they should go...

I guess that is not possible (from the layout alone), except if we were able to set the pit exit direction ourselves, edit: which should be pretty simple, just one bit, aint it Scawen?
Quote from Scawen :
NO OFF-TOPIC FEATURE REQUESTS

NO UNRELATED COMMENTS

There is no 'real mess'. Airio auto spectates when somebody drives the wrong direction in pit. Sure its nice if these little things will be improved someday but that is not what this patch is about. Hmm

Besides;
Quote :
  • PROS: When appearing with a car in pitlane on most custom tracks, a direction indicator is shown pointing the right way to go. Also WRONG WAY is displayed to people going the wrong way on custom tracks.

---
Btw.. On topic...

Didn't time out like time out with a message from server again this night. Same big red bar reaching top of my screen. No message nothing. Just "no cars in race".

I forgot to join track though :P

Anyway, its pretty re-producible.
Quote from cargame.nl :I forgot to join track though :P

If you had tried, I'm sure nothing would have happened. Only a packet from the host can make you join the track, after you've sent a request to join. But possibly that could have made the socket report an error...

The red bar to the top of the screen should be easy to fix. It was on my notes to do but I wanted to get the version out and tested. The obvious missing thing is a time-out on the guest's side. I should make it disconnect if it hasn't received a packet from the host after 40 seconds or so.

Still I find it a bit mysterious that Windows is under the impression that the TCP connection is alive and healthy even after your IP address has changed and there is no more communication between your computer and the host. It doesn't seem to be reporting any kind of error on the socket, otherwise LFS would disconnect.

Maybe that is normal for TCP, I don't know. Anyway I'm sure it could only happen because in this new version, if you don't have a car on track, the guest doesn't try to send any packets at all unless it receives something from the host or you click something in the interface (like join, change name, etc.)

EDIT : Further reading suggests this is not mysterious, just normal. The sockets were not set with the SO_KEEPALIVE option, so when no data is sent there is simply no checking (by the operating system) to see if the connection still really exists. I'll just implement a simple guest-side time-out as planned.
Quote from ACCAkut :I guess that is not possible (from the layout alone), except if we were able to set the pit exit direction ourselves, edit: which should be pretty simple, just one bit, aint it Scawen?

of course it possible because on racing servers pit direction is always the same as start grid it self (and pit is always next to grid)

Scawen, sorry for offtopic suggestion, but this could be VERY helpfull in open configs. It was supposed to be added in 0.6B when open configs were introduced, but no one thought of this.
Ehhmm...

I think quite a lot of people actually did test this patch and it looks like its stable. I know roadmaps are a bit sensitive with LFS development but is there a general outlook for an official patch update? Is there still a lot on the list besides the time out routine and some other smaller fixes?

The lag overview which talked about earlier and being said that it requires another incompatibility test patch, is that planned to be taken care of.. Or?

What I'm trying to figure out is, is it better to downgrade back now to 0.6B4 or are we near an official (intermediate) release?
The patch seems to be working fine. Besides the TIMER BOUNDED message, no lag, no disconnections.
Attached images
bounded.png
Patch 0.6B8
A minor update 0.6B8 is now available.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=80725

Changes from B7 to B8 :

FIX : Two instances of LFS no longer write to the same MPR / SPR
Connection now closes if no packets are received for 40 seconds
SHIFT + N : sound on / off now works in multiplayer screens
Pit exit direction arrow now works in open configurations
Updates to Latvian, Serbian, Indonesian, Romanian
Latvian training lessons now included
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :of course it possible because on racing servers pit direction is always the same as start grid it self (and pit is always next to grid)

I was thinking the same thing, and the pit direction arrow is now implemented (in B8) based on the direction of the start grid, for open configs. The path direction is still used as before for normal configs. Let's see if it does work in all places. I guess it will, unless there is a pit lane whose direction is very different from the grid direction. Can't think of any though...

Quote from cargame.nl :...is there a general outlook for an official patch update? Is there still a lot on the list besides the time out routine and some other smaller fixes?

The lag overview which talked about earlier and being said that it requires another incompatibility test patch, is that planned to be taken care of.. Or?

What I'm trying to figure out is, is it better to downgrade back now to 0.6B4 or are we near an official (intermediate) release?

My plan is to release that incompatible version with the ping and lag info next week. It's not a really big deal, should be easy enough to code and will just be a very slight bandwidth increase to send the info to the guests. Do tell me though if it doesn't really seem needed. I know chucknorris feels it is important, though I'm still convinced it is less important now than it was before this multiplayer update.

I understand your uneasy feeling about the divided community. It's not good for players on either side of the test patch wall. But looking ahead, a proper test patch period creates reliable LFS versions, so we have to be patient. I hope you will not revert to B4 because that would reduce the testing.

Quote from imthebestracerthereis :The patch seems to be working fine. Besides the TIMER BOUNDED message, no lag, no disconnections.

Which operating system is that? I think you should take a look at the cause of that timer bounding...
Quote from Scawen : ...Do tell me though if it doesn't really seem needed. I know chucknorris feels it is important, though I'm still convinced it is less important now than it was before this multiplayer update.

It is indeed less important as far as checking the overall server health is concerned.
However, IMO it is still very important to be able to easily monitor actual latency of individual players somehow, especially when there is close quarters racing going on as a laggy (although I suppose jitter is just as important) player can easily cause havoc.
It's quite surprising how much useful connection info the dancing of the old lag bars could show to the experienced eye.

Quote from Scawen :Which operating system is that? I think you should take a look at the cause of that timer bounding...

The UI looks like Win 7/Server 2008 R2 (NT6.1)
Quote from Degats :The UI looks like Win 7/Server 2008 R2 (NT6.1)

That's the first time I can remember hearing of this happening on hosts that are not running through Wine.

As that is Windows, I guess the timeGetTime function is not returning incorrect values. So that suggests the LFS hosts are sometimes not being given CPU time for 6 or more seconds.

This can be simulated any time by holding the title bar for 6 seconds or more, but I guess you are not doing that.

Does it happen at the same time to all those hosts? What could be causing that?
Quote from Scawen :I was thinking the same thing, and the pit direction arrow is now implemented (in b8)

I am think whot will need add arrow for so2, so3, fe6 and reverse.
Scawen, for will be testing load it track so2, so2r and so2x or so2y. And will see for the locations of the cars.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG