The online racing simulator
Tips for new editors?
(10 posts, started )
#1 - DjFIL
Tips for new editors?
Hello. It's been a long time (6-8 years), but I'm just getting back in to LFS and other PC racing sims. Really enjoying my time back with LFS and happy to see the autocross layout editor. I used to really love building tracks back with CART Precision Racing, the editor was so easy to use, and would love to build some enjoyable layouts for LFS.

Just wondering if people would be willing to give some tips/suggestions on how they make their layouts for LFS. Here's my three starter questions.

1) When you build a track, (after the doodle stage) what is the first objects you place to start the build? Do you do an entire chalk outline? Chalk only the corners? Place cones\tyres at the apex of corners? Just put up barricades everywhere? I went with the chalk everything route... but it's very time consuming.

2) What track width (to allow for racing) do you suggest? I built mine at 10m wide... I think it should be fine for GTI or MRT... but maybe not much bigger/faster.

3) Is there any way to build kerbs? Or is it just the speed bumps?

Any other tips, or common sticking points others ask about, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1) When first starting out, it is probably best to outline first (with chalk). From there you can build barriers on the straights, and then work on the corners. That should help you get more of the basics down. Sometimes it is better to build as you go, doing all the work then, but it can be time consuming and requires a lot of thinking ahead.

2) The faster the track, the wider you probably want it. 10-12m should be plenty. You will get a sense of what to use rather quickly.

3) Some use speed bumps, some use chalk to make artificial curbs, and some use both just to make it look pretty. It's personal preference.

Good luck!
1) I tend to use cones, as easier to see when I'm test driving the layout as I place markers.

Spaced quite far apart on the straights, and much closer together at the bends and corners.

If I'm happy with things, I can then start replacing them with barriers, tyres, bumps, etc.

2) I would say 8m minimum, with 10m to 12m as usual width - a lot depends on what you want to do with layout - drifting layout might require 2 or 3 times my minimum width.

3) I use speed bumps.

I also tend to use speed bumps more often now on inside of barriers, as it's very easy, especially round bends, for people to use the barriers as bumpers to help get round a corner quickly - the speed bumps make this much harder, especially if you leave a small gap between the speed bump and the barrier - just enough to get a wheel stuck.

4) Not on your list I know, but think about using marshalls to give your layout some 'atmosphere'. Even a few at the start line, with maybe one pointing in the (obvious) direction you are supposed to drive, and a few others dotted around as surrogate spectators.

On some of my layouts I use them as braking point references, as they're sometimes easier to see than other types of markers, especially if I've used a lot of barriers in the layout.
#4 - DjFIL
Thanks for the tips. I think my next layout I'll start with cones or the pillars as a test (basic) layout before I go crazy with everything else. I noticed one disadvantage with using chalk everywhere... I didn't know about the 800 object maximum, and I was there pretty quickly as my full chalk outline put me past 50% of that limit.

Thanks for the replies. Hope to post a layout in the coming weeks.
Not to brag or something but I done like 500+ lyts on au and other tracks.
So I hope I can give you some tips from what i learned. If you wanna build on au1 perfect track widnes is 10-12 meters(for touge tracks even 6-8).
First you need to get a rough pic in your head what u gonna make or what u wanna build. Then just go freehand , i prefer making a track with chalks only at start , so u get a track/lap marked with chalks only , then u measure all parts so its all symetric , then again its up to you because all u have to do is decorate it by your style or taste. Sry for my bad english , some old lyt makers will know what im talking and i hope i helped you some too with this post. Good luck!
#6 - DjFIL
Just figured out one other thing. Touching any object makes a hot lap invalid... so that rules out making speed bumps in to drivable racing curbs, at least in hot lap mode.
also, make sure it is smooth and straight. Making sure the course flows by test driving it is a good idea also. Hotlap mode with layouts is next to pointless, if your gong to make layouts use single player or multiplayer
Quote from DjFIL :Just figured out one other thing. Touching any object makes a hot lap invalid... so that rules out making speed bumps in to drivable racing curbs, at least in hot lap mode.

If you are looking to make some crazy curbing you could use ramps
1) I do things usually a bit differently compared to others, when I start making a layout I start driving around Autocross, and if I do something flowing I try to remember it and understeer/oversteer the car so the skidmarks create a track. Then chalk all around it, then fine tuning - voilá!

2) When I do a layout, it has a minimum of 6m and a maximum of 15m width. 6 meters is a bit too short though, so I'd recommend anything from 8-16m.

3) Speedbumps/chalk is what I do. It works, and it doesn't look bad imo.
I know the threads a few months old but just thought I'd mention that there are some layout editing programs around. Been a while since I've done layouts in LFS so don't know how far these programs have progressed. I recall one that allowed you to group objects & then copy/paste them, that way you could set up object groups outside of the racing area & place them back in like a jigsaw (handy for chicanes, corners, etc). Also made it easy to zoom out & get a bird's eye view for layout screenshot.
Of course, you would have to load up LFS & test drive (& tweak) to get best results.

Will have to remember the speed bumps trick for wall runners. I would think hay bales would be effective too.

Tips for new editors?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG