The online racing simulator
how good does my computer have to be for this ?
can anyone tell me how good my computer has to be to download this game ?
If your computer was good at running games in 2006 then it will run LFS adequately.
Minimum computer requirements
Any version of Microsoft Windows, 32 or 64 bit
1 GHz CPU, 256 MB memory, 3D graphics card
Not that this helps but I have two computers i play lfs on (ones mine and other is younger brother)

My brothers pc is a hp with 1.7 ghz AMD CPU with a build in gpu (think its 64 mb dedicated and boosted to 128 mb with shared memory) , it has 1gb. Think it runs stable with 15-30 fps depending on how many people on track (I seen it at 50 fps when stopped on autocross in single player)

My pc is a i7 sandy bridge extreme (12 threads, 6 cores) at ~4 ghz , has a Nvidia GTX470 and although it could have more I only have 4gb ram (think I can triple it) and I limit it to 100 fps

Lfs is not really hard on a computer so unless you have a calculator from the cold war you should be fine
#6 - OTone
If you want to know if your PC can handle LFS properly you should buy S2 first (lol for promoting the sim) and then see if it can handle at least 25+ cars showing on the same frame.

I have a i5 750 + 4GB DDR3 at 1600mhz + GTX560ti Hawk and, with everything maxed out, I got around 30-45fps when I got 30 cars on the frame with hi-res texture pack installed.
Don't know without the hi-res packs, maybe 35-50fps tops.

Of course you will not see 30 cars everytime or if you are driving but I prefer to make myself sure if my pc handle lfs decently at any circumstance.
No need to buy S2 to try it, that's where LFS is better than competition.
Add as many AI cars as you dare (they are CPU intensive, more than online racing) and join the race from the back of the grid. You will easily see what your computer can handle reaching Turn 1...
#8 - OTone
Quote from Mille Sabords :No need to buy S2 to try it, that's where LFS is better than competition.
Add as many AI cars as you dare (they are CPU intensive, more than online racing) and join the race from the back of the grid. You will easily see what your computer can handle reaching Turn 1...

Another idea

Still, I find mine better.
OP: What kind of computer do you currently have?

Here are some computers that I've tested the game with:

My old Pentium Dual-Core E5300 (LGA775) with a GT 240 OC 1GB gave me 60 fps on a packed TC server (30 drivers with a 800 object layout) maxed out, but it couldn't handle recording with FRAPS. This was at a resolution of 1366x768. 4Gb DDR2 667 RAM. Patch 0.6B

The same Pentium as above but with the NVIDIA 7050 integrated graphics, 45 fps max online, patch Z28.

A Pentium 4 2.4GHz(478) machine with a NVIDIA Geforce4 MX420 64mb managed 14fps on lowest settings at 1024x768 on a TC server with about 12 people online, with 800 objects. 256mb DDR 300 RAM. Windows XP SP3. Offline FPS: 30. Patch 0.6B

A Pentium 4 2.8GHz HT (478) machine with an ATi Radeon X1650 Pro 512mb AGP managed 45fps at 1024x768 on a TC server with 15 people and 500 objects. 512mb DDR 333 RAM. Windows XP SP2. Offline FPS: 60. Patch Z28. (PC's hard drive corrupted before 6B came out)

A Core i5-2430m 2.4GHz (TB 3.0, HM67) HT (it's a slow i3-2125) with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 cannot run the game vanilla due to a graphics bug. I can run it with NightMod, however. Cannot start the game with anti-aliasing enabled (starts with endless black screen). Plays on a packed TC server with NightMod, maxed out but no AA at 25-30fps at 1366x768. 6GB DDR3 1333 RAM. Offline: 60-90. Patch 0.6B, nightmod for 0.5Y.
When I open the view tab in the vanilla installation, the game crashes. I get 15fps max for some reason....it's really odd.

Note that the HD Graphics 3000 only supports up to AA x4, versus NVIDIA and AMD supporting x16.

If you want to build a new PC for LFS, then get a Celeron G530, 4GB DDR3 ram, any hard drive/SSD, and any $100 graphics card, though AMD cards like the 6770 support Eyefinity for up to 6 monitors on one card.

The Celeron boasts great single core performance which is really what LFS needs, plus an average graphics card to make the game look extra pretty.

Really a 10 year old pc can run this game...maybe not very well, but it's possible.

**Note: Offline means BL1 with no AI, just racing around lonely.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG