The online racing simulator
I just tried it in Dx8 and am only getting occasional crashes in the menus (but they still mean a restart) graphics wise on 800 x 600 no AA it gave amazing FPS for something ISI based on my PC but they were shocking, literally talking in terms of original GPL style graphics except for the cars which look like high detail models totally out of place and that was running it with the default, (fairly high?) settings.

Now going to try a bigger resolution and leave Dx to Auto. Anyone know how to get the cockpit instrumentation to work, I only get the shift lights and a rev bar on the LCD, please don't tell me there not in the demo nK style :doh:
Quote from Matrixi :
1. Graphics
Cartoony. Sluggish. Slow. Made my (a bit old) P4 2.4GHz / 512MB DDR / 9800 Radeon Pro setup suffer pretty badly. It's better when you're alone on the time trial and no other cars are around, but what's the point there?

I can run LFS fine on a full grid without a hitch, even 3-4 cars on the track in GTR gives me 15-20fps.

LOL cartoonish? perhaps you need a hardware update, this certainly does not look cartoonish in anyway. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=173568#post173568
Quote from ajp71 :I just tried it in Dx8 and am only getting occasional crashes in the menus (but they still mean a restart) graphics wise on 800 x 600 no AA it gave amazing FPS for something ISI based on my PC but they were shocking, literally talking in terms of original GPL style graphics except for the cars which look like high detail models totally out of place and that was running it with the default, (fairly high?) settings.

Now going to try a bigger resolution and leave Dx to Auto. Anyone know how to get the cockpit instrumentation to work, I only get the shift lights and a rev bar on the LCD, please don't tell me there not in the demo nK style :doh:

Press 1,2,3 for HUD, mirror, cockpit instrument.
me prefers GTL
Quote from csimpok :Press 1,2,3 and that gives you HUD, mirror, ...

but not the incar motac?
^^ The wet screens look fine, the dry screenshots all look cartoonish

New problem: now when I go to the controls page on the main menu everything works fine. Load a track nothing works, it knows the DFP is attached and when you go to the controls page with track loaded the control binds are still correct but when you try and change one it diesn't recognise anything. Go back to main menu and it recongnises everything in the control page.

I find it so sad that my biggest problem with ISI sims has always been the retarded menu system, even SCGT was unstable in the menus, if it's this bad couldn't they just go for a cheap shortcut and offer an alternative front end (nK, GEM+, RBR start)?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
This is lame.

I have both Win 2000 and XP installed on my comp, of course I use Win 2000 mainly. I only use XP for things that dosen't work in Win 2000, like new Microsoft games, like Age of Empires 3.

For this demo and everyother demo that use star**** I have to install it on XP. Its redicilous.
Quote from MyBoss :This is lame.

I have both Win 2000 and XP installed on my comp, of course I use Win 2000 mainly. I only use XP for things that dosen't work in Win 2000, like new Microsoft games, like Age of Empires 3.

For this demo and everyother demo that use star**** I have to install it on XP. Its redicilous.

This demo/game doesn't have Starforce
Quote from steve :LOL cartoonish? perhaps you need a hardware update, this certainly does not look cartoonish in anyway. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=173568#post173568

It looks as cartoony as it can get on sunny days, if you haven't noticed that yourself.

Took longer than I expected for someone to start defending GTR after my post.
One of the most entertaining things about this demo is watching the more fervent rFactor and SimBin fans tearing into one another over at RSC.
yeah i just looked over at rscnet and people are saying that it feels worse and too grippy lol. imo it feels alot better than gtr/gtl/rfactor. its easier to feel where the limit is. the weight shifting feels a bit dull compared to lfs but its still much much better than gtr. i am seriously thinking about buying gtr2 now .

guys make sure u are in full sim mode with no traction control or abs or spin recovery
its certainly a lot better than rfactor but i still cant really feel the car

btw is it my driving style or is the defaultsetup pretty much ... crap ?
I'm enjoying it a lot more after I found the "DX8" setting and got decent FPS.
Quote from Shotglass :its certainly a lot better than rfactor but i still cant really feel the car

btw is it my driving style or is the defaultsetup pretty much ... crap ?

yeah the default set is geared towards understeer and stability more than speed it seems

i am not very skilled at making sets but you might want to try messing around with the diff and make the 6th gear longer. less coast lock and more speed lock should give it a bit more oversteer
Quote from Gabkicks :yeah the default set is geared towards understeer and stability more than speed it seems

and tons of oversteer during trailbraking
its got a 50:50 brake balance ... the joys of going into a corner with the handbrake pulled

so i either oversteer at corner entry or understeer badly mid corner ... either way the exit is always messy
what's ur fastest lap with all those problems? lol
1:38:6xx for me (Ferrari), with default setup.
Not for me i'm afraid.

BUT.. I do like the gear change animation and if you left foot brake, so does the driver!!

The sounds annoy me so does the FFB.
Better than GTR1 but not as good as LFS.

EDIT

Just started LFS
XFR @ SO
LFS just comes ALIVE!!

You dont realise how good you got it till you try something else!!
Credit to Scavier
Quote from Phlos :1:38:6xx for me (Ferrari), with default setup.

thats a damn good time. i still havent broken into the 38 second range. my best is 1:39.4 something.

i read somewhere on rscnet that the real car didnt lap anywhere near as fast around the track as it does in the game. of course there are many excuses for this .
Still seems like a lucky dip as to whether my wheel works or it crashes on menus but when in sim the FPS is good (not tried night or rain yet though) the feel in the FF isn't that bad for effect based FF, those struggling may need to reverse it, I did on my DFP. The Lambo sounds quiet nice for a single sample sound, not informative and crap in videos but when you're racing it's OK, GPL was like that as well with single sample sounds. I did get a good amount of feel for an ISI sim, no where near LFS/RBR/N2003/GPL yet though. It actually looks quite nice, with no other cars in view, other cars just look like they're just an image super imposed over the top, but all ISI games look like that, it's that subtle detail that GPL/N2003/LFS have that give them the edge.

Despite the problems I'm seriously considering buying this.
Real life times are about 1:40 ! People at RSC are as low as 1:35, my pb is 1:37.5
So its not exactly realistic.
it seems like that in every sim. people are siginifigantly faster ingame than ace drivers have gone IRL.
I'm no longer considering buying this, just tried it in the wet fps not to bad with less than 2 cars in view, running an 8 car grid on the other hand was a problem so I can't see N2003 style huge grids be a common site online which is a shame. In the dry the feel isn't too bad in the wet it's a joke there's no feeling at all it just seems to randomly spin at any speed. I wouldn't like to say how good the wet weather physics are because I just can't tell what's going on, or how much throttle to feed in like in LFS. I should point out I'm only trying to stroll round at a gentle pace, not trying to get the car on the limit seeing as I don't know the track.

The real reason I'm not buying it though is because of the UI, I've had 2 more freezes and another time when the wheel wasn't recongnised. If this was truely great then I'm sure I'd live with it like I have done with GPL in the past but it is not good enough to be worth the bother.
Quote from Gabkicks :it seems like that in every sim. people are siginifigantly faster ingame than ace drivers have gone IRL.

Is to be expected really but 5 seconds faster than RL after a day? Does make one wonder

The main arguement why the Devs should choose either to add in RL cars or tracks, we already have RL cars so keeping fictional tracks at least until LFS is finished will avoid the whole 'sim X is no good because the laptimes are too fast' weakness.

LFS community GTR2 Demo try-out?
(386 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG