The online racing simulator
The Solar flare of 2013
(36 posts, started )
The Solar flare of 2013

So why wasn't all electronic stuff disabled forever in the (apparently worse) Solar Cycle of 2001/2002?
Nasa say that the solar flare of 2013 it could be as strong as the one in 1859
#4 - heson
And my doomsdaydevice will kill you all before that!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

This is ofcourse just as bull shit as the mayan calendar wrap.
#5 - jnr89
Damn, I have been thinking about that...the solar flare, but I read somewhere that you can build a faraday cage to protect your electronic devices, what do you say racers?
As bad as it sounds, it actually sounds pretty awesome.
Yeah, especially the bit out the northern lights spreading way down towards the equator and being bright enough to read by.

Admittedly not terribly convenient, but certainly awesome.
All jokes aside this would be a huge reset to the human kind, and all hell would brake loose..
Didn't you see the map? It would only affect Americans.
All this waiting for S3 will go to waste.
Quote from Forbin :Didn't you see the map? It would only affect Americans.

at least we would lose some weight
I prepare the bunker.
but does it fry your electronic devices even if they are unpowered?
#14 - JJ72
I read the scientist's name as Berserker lol.
Quote from el pibe :but does it fry your electronic devices even if they are unpowered?

it would. In 1859 telegraph lines (unpowered) were glowing because of the storm (back then the only electrical devises). And most importantly all our satellites would be fried (including altitude control, so becoming meteroids :schwitz.

But, again, IF the predictions are right. They made some for 2002 and 2007, and nothing big happened.
How much I want this to happen! I'd run around with a torch and pick parts from fallen sattelites! And Aurora Borealis yay!
Quote from ACCAkut :it would. In 1859 telegraph lines (unpowered) were glowing because of the storm (back then the only electrical devises). And most importantly all our satellites would be fried (including altitude control, so becoming meteroids :schwitz.

But, again, IF the predictions are right. They made some for 2002 and 2007, and nothing big happened.

but how so?
Quote from Inouva :Nasa say that the solar flare of 2013 it could be as strong as the one in 1859

So? What they say is :

"The great geomagnetic storm of 1859, for instance, occurred during a solar cycle of about the same size we’re predicting for 2013."

What matters is if an actual flare hits the earth not the size of the solar cycle. The size of the cycle just determines flare activity and strength. So it increases the risk of earth being hit.

http://www.space.com/12586-sol ... nsity-2013-peak-nasa.html
We could dial the stargate and let the wormhole go through a solar flare and travel in time!! (I hope somebody gets the reference)

In all seriousness, there must be a way of shielding sattelites.
Quote from el pibe :but how so?

it has something to do with electric potential, with electric fields changing over distance and inducing electric tension.

A similar effect happens during thunderstorms when a lightning hits the ground. Thats why you are adviced to keep you feet together as close possible
Quote from Nadeo4441 :
In all seriousness, there must be a way of shielding sattelites.

How do you reckon they do that? And what's the point if all other equipment on earth mailfunctions..
Quote from Boris Lozac :How do you reckon they do that? And what's the point if all other equipment on earth mailfunctions..

I meant that must have thought of that when they designed the sattelites.
Some satellites have failed because of solar flares. An enormous solar storm will hit the earth again as certainly as someday we will be hit by a large asteroid or the Yellowstone volcano will erupt. All you can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

A Faraday cage is a good idea, the question is whether or not we will have enough advanced warning to put our electronics in them. I would put in a two way radio, geiger counter and laptop. If you converted your garage into a large cage you could be the only one around with a working car.
Quote from flymike91 :Some satellites have failed because of solar flares. An enormous solar storm will hit the earth again as certainly as someday we will be hit by a large asteroid or the Yellowstone volcano will erupt. All you can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

A Faraday cage is a good idea, the question is whether or not we will have enough advanced warning to put our electronics in them. I would put in a two way radio, geiger counter and laptop. If you converted your garage into a large cage you could be the only one around with a working car.

Just buy an old diesel car and park it on the hill. That's it, you're prepared. I wonder, if wrapping small items in aluminum foil will protect them?

The Solar flare of 2013
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG