The online racing simulator
skill level/AI questions..
(8 posts, started )
I realize AI's not a strong point of LFS but some of my buddies like having them on track just the same. I was wondering if changing the skill level of AI affects the skill level needed for a real player to drive? What I mean, is if you set AI level to beginner, does that turn down any realism factors for real players? I'm guessing not, but ask because we set some on track last night & all of a sudden we were running MUCH better lap times. Wasn't sure if we were simply driving better or if it'd somehow turned down the skill required for us or something.. (I'm talking like 5 seconds off our typically lousy best times )

My next question is if multiple people add AI, does any one person's AI level affect all AI, or is it specific to how individual players set them.

And my last question, I've got a great ISP/connection. Is there a way to allow players to set more than a couple AI? I seem to be running into a wall where each player can only put 2 on track max, no matter how I configure server details. (if they want to drive as well/for a total of 3 cars per PC)

Lastly, I'll probably have more dumb questions stemming from these, as I've both been out of the game for a good while and am new to the server deal, so as always.. thanks in advance!
1. No. Maybe the wind changed.
Quote from Forbin :1. No. Maybe the wind changed.

pretty sure AI don't work with wind?
Quote from Mustangman759 :pretty sure AI don't work with wind?

Yeah, it won't let ya start a race with AI if there's wind. (though I've never really noticed wind to affect my driving abilities) I wish they could, as the moving stuff in the background are kind of a nice touch. Anyways, thanks for answering the first question Forbin. Can anybody field the other two?
Quote from Tinytacohead :Yeah, it won't let ya start a race with AI if there's wind. (though I've never really noticed wind to affect my driving abilities) I wish they could, as the moving stuff in the background are kind of a nice touch. Anyways, thanks for answering the first question Forbin. Can anybody field the other two?

Well you can drive with wind when you do the following:

1. Choose no wind then start session
2. Type in the chatbox: /wind=1 (or 2 for more, 0 for none)

With the skill of the ais from different pcs I think that it's difficulty for each clients car so when you set it on pro and your buddy on amateur, your cars will be faster.
Hope that helped a bit
Quote from lrk-racer :Well you can drive with wind when you do the following: ...

I know about the wind thing, I was simply confirming that AI can't drive when it's set, since Mustangman759 wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification on AI skill settings though.
If anybody knows whether there's a way to have more than two AI per PC connection, (considering each PC player would want to be the third car on track for said PC), all my questions will have been answered.
Quote from Tinytacohead :If anybody knows whether there's a way to have more than two AI per PC connection, (considering each PC player would want to be the third car on track for said PC), all my questions will have been answered.

As far as I know - there isn't. It's allowed to have only max 3 cars per connection. Exept you join server with 2nd account on same PC and put 3 AIs from that or join with 2 accounts and put 6AIs or... (etc) (LFS sales will boom now )
Quote from Eclipsed :As far as I know - there isn't. It's allowed to have only max 3 cars per connection...

Ahh dang, that stinks. While I realize the point of playing online isn't really to add AI, (and they tend to drive like boneheads), it's still a way for us small groups to populate the track. Be nice if they were to change the mechanics there a bit, though I won't hold my breath.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG