The online racing simulator
More Tuning options.
(73 posts, started )
#51 - wark
Quote from lalathegreat :am not asking for a free for all no limits. just because you can change power levels of cars dosent mean you cannot have Equal Racing. i would love to have the ability to race with 600HP GTR cars and not just one power level over and over. it dosent mean Everyone cannot be on the same level.
Changing the power Levels Changes the whole Dynamics of a race, racing lines, braking points, pit strategy, it keeps the racing fresh.

So just use less gas and when you want to pretend you've got your more powerful, tuned engine, floor it.

This is what different cars are for.
Quote from tristancliffe :So ultimately what you are after is a half-arsed tuning mode, where everything is simplified down to stats like "Top End +1, Fuel Economy -12" etc... That is what you get if you want a trial and error game with little simulation of the individual parts.

um no, the trial and error aspect was to show that it isnt complex to figure out the results of a given change. what i was trying to convey is in real life u cannot Trial and Error to figure what the right turbo for a given application is. In Virtual Reality it is alot Quicker. Am not quite sure how u manage to deduce Little simulation out of my post
Quote from wark :So just use less gas and when you want to pretend you've got your more powerful, tuned engine, floor it.

This is what different cars are for.

don't think everyone would play that race with me lol
To drive cars with different kind of power levels we have different cars.
#55 - Jakg
why? LFS is about the RACING, nothing more, sets are there to suite different driving styles, but the engine?
Quote from Blackout :To drive cars with different kind of power levels we have different cars.

and There less than 20 cars Kinda too General for my taste
Quote from Jakg :why? LFS is about the RACING, nothing more, sets are there to suite different driving styles, but the engine?

no, Driving Sets have much to do with performance. where do u get this logic from. i said before Current suspension setups influence Cornering Speed Acceleration.
#58 - Jakg
Quote from lalathegreat :no, Driving Sets have much to do with performance. where do u get this logic from. i said before Current suspension setups influence Cornering Speed Acceleration.

if it wasnt for people having different driving styles i would say that there should be NO setups, LFS is about racing, and getting beaten because someone else has an uber engine remap but drives like crap isnt my idea of fun
Quote from Jakg :if it wasnt for people having different driving styles i would say that there should be NO setups, LFS is about racing, and getting beaten because someone else has an uber engine remap but drives like crap isnt my idea of fun

Give me an example of how Driving Styles play a role in setups.
Some people prefer oversteer over understeer, brake setupping, max steering angle and all kind of things. Oh, you must have driven all the cars right?
Quote from lalathegreat :Give me an example of how Driving Styles play a role in setups.

According to lfsworld the average racer age is 26, that means full time jobs and other responsabilites eating into free time. With hundreads of car/track combos where do these people get the time to make setups?
Most of them don't, they get fast setups elsewhere either downloading or asking for them in race. Then if required they tweak them for their driving style.
While there are no statistics to prove anything I would bet the majority of races are driving with setups they didn't touch. Those that do touch them most will have made small tweaks to match their driving styles. Then there is a small number of people left that actually work on making the fast setups everybody else uses.
#62 - wark
Quote from lalathegreat :Give me an example of how Driving Styles play a role in setups.

Any opinion on what gives better performance is style.

Brakes: Some people use less engine braking and thus a differing brake balance; some people like to be able to floor it whenever they want to without locking up, while others prefer the ability to get closer to the limit at any given time.

G/R: () Some people choose not to use all 5 or 6 gears on a given track; some people choose to have a very tall first gear so that the rest of them can be closer.

Suspension: As mentioned, the most obvious is how over/understeery one prefers the setup; some people are driftier on the rally courses; some prefer to go the full race distance without any damage to the suspension or front spoiler, so they will drive with a taller ride height.

Downforce: Some people are braver than others; also balance.

Traction Control: Again, some are braver.

Differentials: Some expect different things from their differential; some are braver in this regard as well.

Tires: Some may prefer to baby a set of softer tires rather than rely on harder rubber.

Steering: Some people would never use full lock, and others would use more if they could--especially in rally courses where one might get his tail a little too loose.

You probably have a different driving style from your grandmother. The generic "grandmother" would probably opt for a set which differed from yours.
I can't really see how driving style wouldn't play a role in choosing or modifying a setup ... in fact it would seem that the way you drive is the main influencing factor when deciding how to set up your car. In fact in some cases, because of how I drive, I'm faster with a generic, stable setup than with a knife-edge WR setup (depends on the car of course).
There many performance aspects to setups aswell just because u like it dosent mean its Fast. Everyone is ajusting to what they feel is good.

the same concept can be applied to an Engine aswell. some people people may like and engine with a a strong low End thought it might not be the fastest.
#65 - wark
Quote from lalathegreat :There many performance aspects to setups aswell just because u like it dosent mean its Fast. Everyone is ajusting to what they feel is good.

the same concept can be applied to an Engine aswell. some people people may like and engine with a a strong low End thought it might not be the fastest.

Yeah, but it might be fastest for them. And sometimes you go blazing fast before you crash, but that never helps in the long run.
I see where u guys are coming from with the setups. my disagreement comes from the fact i rather see a driver adapt his style to a car before changing it.

But my need for Editable Engine parameters doesent come from the need to out tune somone you know. but to keep races fresh.i would love to be able to try and chase down an XRT with a GTi for example

In my opinion LFS suffers from the fact that it has so little cars. its a seriuous turn off. And most of them in the same class can't Run against each other. makes me feel its a waste of a physics engine.
If you had the ability to chase down an XRT with a GTi because you could tune it, naturally people would then tune the hell out of their XRTs and only someone with a tuned XRT (or maybe LX6) could actually catch them. Bingo. Back to square one. Who would be running a stock XRT against a GTi if they had the option to tune the XRT? As if the NFS/F&F/GT crews would even bother with stock cars anymore...you'd have more servers full of souped-up XRTs going dorifto banzai than you would oval servers full of BF1s
If everyone ended up racing the tuned cars and not the stockers (which would happen to some extent), that would be a waste of a great physics engine.

I don't think LFS "suffers" from too few cars either (not that you'd know either, being, yes I'm going to say it, a Demo Racer with little to no actual experience of S2). There are certainly some well-known "performance gaps" e.g. between the GTRs, true, but we're not even in Beta stages yet so this may be worked out in future updates. Who knows? IMHO the beauty of LFS is the equality of the cars, which means races are contests of skill above all else.

I think patience is required to see what the future holds for car performance/physics before any tuning option is seriously contemplated because it wouldn't be an easy thing to include. It may find its way into LFS at some stage (hope it doesn't!) but I don't think it would happen until well after S2 Final.
Quote :If you had the ability to chase down an XRT with a GTi because you could tune it, naturally people would then tune the hell out of their XRTs and only someone with a tuned XRT (or maybe LX6) could actually catch them. Bingo. Back to square one. Who would be running a stock XRT against a GTi if they had the option to tune the XRT? As if the NFS/F&F/GT crews would even bother with stock cars anymore...you'd have more servers full of souped-up XRTs going dorifto banzai than you would oval servers full of BF1s
If everyone ended up racing the tuned cars and not the stockers (which would happen to some extent), that would be a waste of a great physics engine.

This would be the case if there werent any retrictions. A server retriction such as no cars over 250HP or torque about or something would counter act that. Am not at all asking for free for all u know

Free for all would be good in certain cases.

there is a big difference between free for all and with retrictions. Imagine u enter a Server with TBO 300 class everyone on there has a maximum of 300hp the logic everyone is using is that but where back at sqaure one so whats the point.
point is the whole race Changes 300 HP is not the same as 250HP it takes more skill your gonna have different braking points,Different Fuel consumption, wheel spin might come on easier. the whole mentality of driving the car will have to change.

take for example GTR class lets say u have a 650 Class
think for a minute of things that would change.

Maybe the AWD GTR now has an advantage because of its AWD in getting the power to the ground
The GTR(car that dominates) now is prob going to have a harder because its a mid ship
Choice of tires.
Can't think of any more cause i havent driven them.

Quote :
I don't think LFS "suffers" from too few cars either (not that you'd know either, being, yes I'm going to say it, a Demo Racer with little to no actual experience of S2). There are certainly some well-known "performance gaps" e.g. between the GTRs, true, but we're not even in Beta stages yet so this may be worked out in future updates. Who knows? IMHO the beauty of LFS is the equality of the cars, which means races are contests of skill above all else.

i did say in my thread that i rather see alot of other things implemented before Such a system. This is probably why the dev have not fixed the GTR perfomance gap. As they continue to update the physics engine, changes they make might offset any correction they made to the cars. Being S2 is in its "alpha" stage it would be harder to spot any anomalies with varying engine outputs

Ive been patiently waiting for S2 Full still am
-
(Hankstar) DELETED by Hankstar : whatever
Sorry, but if you have the money now, why dont you get a S2 licence now?

If you dont like it now (which I cant imagine), you can still not use it and get back to it, when S2 full is there. Its not, that the price will change.
:(
There are good & bad about the tuning thing.

If we could tune we need cooling problems, engine break etc in the physics too.

if you can get max boost on the turbo all day long without breaking the engine and no difference in fuel consumtions, everybody will have big turbos(even though they hate em).

even if LFS creators can make the game like that it will be too maniac.

There are people who don't like games to be too professional.

I think we should be able to chg radiator & brake duct size or so

but i am not sure about the tuning thing.

Sorry for my poor english.
#71 - wark
Quote from lalathegreat :In my opinion LFS suffers from the fact that it has so little cars. its a seriuous turn off. And most of them in the same class can't Run against each other. makes me feel its a waste of a physics engine.

Buy S2... I don't see what good waiting will do you, unless you're planning on not buying it if it isn't much different from the current version. Hell, a lot of people seem to think it's worth it as is.

A lot of people would also rather that the devs spent more time on new cars to fix the phenomenon you're complaining of instead of some feature which would only be welcomed by a minority.
If you want tuning, play need for speed. I personally am a really big fan of need for speed. I am FULLY aware that it is a arcade game, but its a good arcade game. Just a crappy sim!
Quote from kew0914 :There are good & bad about the tuning thing.

If we could tune we need cooling problems, engine break etc in the physics too.

if you can get max boost on the turbo all day long without breaking the engine and no difference in fuel consumtions, everybody will have big turbos(even though they hate em).

even if LFS creators can make the game like that it will be too maniac.

There are people who don't like games to be too professional.

I think we should be able to chg radiator & brake duct size or so

but i am not sure about the tuning thing.

Sorry for my poor english.

you might of missed it but i did say a realistic engine damage model would need to be put in.

More Tuning options.
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG