The online racing simulator
[SOLVED] a question about CMX importation
Hi all
I am writing a plugin for Blender to import CMX car models directly into it. It works well except for some edges that are not supposed to be "hard" due to a somewhat missing vertices merging while processing the file.
Since the cmx importer mentioned in the rendering tutorial in the online LFS manual seems to import perfectly, I would like to ask cmx files experts if they've pointed out what's causing the problem I'm facing.
Thanks in advance
OK, maybe I have a clue.
The LFS engine requires one vertex for each UV coordinate, Blender doesn't need that, because UV coordinates are bound to faces' tips, not vertices, so there are to much vertices for Blender, faces are not connected and surface shading interpolation is interrupted between them.
BUT in CMX files, there are vertices' normals specified. I assume that LFS engine can force these normals even for vertices located at a surface border, so the surface shading look continuous even if there are two non-connected surface.
Blender can't do that, but I can modify my script to try a solution confirm the theory. Let's go to work now…
done
OK, It was the vertices normals, Blender supports them but their values are auto-calculated and read-only. Fortunately I've found a trick to import the files almost accurately. Time to prepare the publication !
Publication! Do share!
Freaking sweet! Now, how had would it be to go in the other direction?
It would just be a dead end…

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG