The online racing simulator
Quote from Shotglass : yeah clearly a drive that does ~100mb sequential reads and ~70mb sequential writes (random access is ridiculously slow no matter how fast the drive spins) is way too slow to handle the usual purpose of a large drive ie saving large amounts of data like photo collections

I have a green hdd and it's slow and shit. can't handle the video files I put on it.

Quote from Shotglass :
none of my computers including my gaming rig have fans that are loud enough to drown out hdd noise (all of theose hdds are sitting on rubber and all of them are 5400 rpm drives and i can still hear all the 3.5" ones)
the only exception would be the notebook which while playing games has a decent amount of fan noise... while using it for (flash free) internet surfing the fan is completely off and the only thing (clearly) audible (used to be) the hdd

I think I can reset the balance on this one... I have fans that are louder. I have an antec 900 case and those fans are big. more airflow = more noise.

Quote from Shotglass :
which is still 10-15 times more expensive so its far from viable as a large storage solution (obviously all my system drives are ssds these days with the exception of my htpc/silent-desktop for which i have the ssd lying around but lack the time to install it)

ssd prices are coming down all the time. £60 for a 128gb drive is quite affordable for what it does. They also use lass power don't they? no spin up time, access times are lower.
Quote from dadge :I have a green hdd and it's slow and shit. can't handle the video files I put on it.

you must be doing something wrong then
i use only green drives and all of them (including the unbelievably slow 2.5" drive that came from an eeepc (ie cheapest of the cheap)) can handle 1080p files just fine

Quote :I think I can reset the balance on this one... I have fans that are louder. I have an antec 900 case and those fans are big. more airflow = more noise.

unless youre massively overclocking you must be clueless about building pcs then
my gaming pc has 5 120mm case fans +cpu fan +2 gpu fans +psu fan it runs very cool and its still barely audible even while playing (the loudest noises are some high frequency stuff from the voltage regulators presumably on the motherboard and the 2tb wd green drive)

Quote :ssd prices are coming down all the time. £60 for a 128gb drive is quite affordable for what it does. They also use lass power don't they? no spin up time, access times are lower.

the currently obscenely cheap 512 gig crucial is ~350€ so to replace a single 3tb wd green drive (~140€ now ~115€ before flooding) it would cost you about 2100€ compared to 140€ for the hdd
not to mention that youd use up all the sata ports on your average motherboard instead of just 1 for the hdd
How the hell is the "rotation speed of the hdd" slower if my Caviar Green HDD says 7,200 RPM?
Quote from PoVo :How the hell is the "rotation speed of the hdd" slower if my Caviar Green HDD says 7,200 RPM?

Where are you reading it's a 7200rpm drive?
Quote from Shotglass :you must be doing something wrong then
i use only green drives and all of them (including the unbelievably slow 2.5" drive that came from an eeepc (ie cheapest of the cheap)) can handle 1080p files just fine

unless youre massively overclocking you must be clueless about building pcs then
my gaming pc has 5 120mm case fans +cpu fan +2 gpu fans +psu fan it runs very cool and its still barely audible even while playing (the loudest noises are some high frequency stuff from the voltage regulators presumably on the motherboard and the 2tb wd green drive)

the currently obscenely cheap 512 gig crucial is ~350€ so to replace a single 3tb wd green drive (~140€ now ~115€ before flooding) it would cost you about 2100€ compared to 140€ for the hdd
not to mention that youd use up all the sata ports on your average motherboard instead of just 1 for the hdd

I'm putting raw video onto my drive and editing it with 5 other videos. surely a hard drive should be able to cope with that? surely i have the mental ability to be able to manage such a small task.
yes, i have no clue how to build a pc, I must have fluked all the successful builds i've done in the past 12 years. How many hours per day are you off your effin head? the discussion is about green hdd's spinning slow. but now you're looking to spend over 2 grand on solid state drives. If you're going to pick expensive ssd's to help you make you point, you should aim a bit higher. £120 gets you 512gb of ssd. £240 for 1tb of ssd. that would be just over £700 for 3 tb of ssd. If you like, you can give me 2 grand and i'll get you 3tb of ssd.
is there any chance you could stop being a knob? just for one day?
Quote from PoVo :How the hell is the "rotation speed of the hdd" slower if my Caviar Green HDD says 7,200 RPM?

Around 5400, or is that 5800. I have three 1tb Caviar Green and one 2tb Cavier green. They are perfect for external enclosures with no fans.
The last time I bought one from a store was OEM in a brown box that said 5400rpm in the cover. Intellipower.
Quote from dadge :I'm putting raw video onto my drive and editing it with 5 other videos. surely a hard drive should be able to cope with that? surely i have the mental ability to be able to manage such a small task.

well done youre using a drive for a purpose it was never intended for and now you whine that it isnt capable of doing that

Quote :yes, i have no clue how to build a pc, I must have fluked all the successful builds i've done in the past 12 years.

if youre unable to build a pc that doesnt sound like a triple 7 taking off you dont

Quote :£120 gets you 512gb of ssd. £240 for 1tb of ssd. that would be just over £700 for 3 tb of ssd. If you like, you can give me 2 grand and i'll get you 3tb of ssd.

i dont know where youre getting your prices from but they are completely wrong
that works out as 0.29€/gb when the cheapest ssd you can buy here right now is 0.51€/gb and that from an oem with a less than stellar record in ssd reliability and has a 2-3 year old controller on it
if you want something current from a reliable company youre lookign at something in the range of 0.7€/gb more than twice your number

Quote :is there any chance you could stop being a knob? just for one day?

speak for yourself buddy
Quote from Ni-san :
This is some of the stuff I bought last weekend.

Who bit your phone on the right side?
Quote from Shotglass :well done youre using a drive for a purpose it was never intended for and now you whine that it isnt capable of doing that

if youre unable to build a pc that doesnt sound like a triple 7 taking off you dont

i dont know where youre getting your prices from but they are completely wrong
that works out as 0.29€/gb when the cheapest ssd you can buy here right now is 0.51€/gb and that from an oem with a less than stellar record in ssd reliability and has a 2-3 year old controller on it
if you want something current from a reliable company youre lookign at something in the range of 0.7€/gb more than twice your number

speak for yourself buddy

Ebuyer. In case you haven't noticed, not everybody lives in your country. I'm using the drive how it was intended. Its storing data. I'm not putting up shelves with it. I didn't say my pc was loud, I said that if there is a component that is louder than you hard drive then what is the point of having a quiet hard drive? How much more do you need to exaggerate to help you make your point?
thats a 128gb drive 4 times less than what you claimed you idiot
I said £60 for a 128 gb drive. You call me an idiot but you think green drive are better than performance drive. Good luck breaking the land speed record in your prius. If its name calling you're after then let me know. I can think of loads of things to call an asshat like yourself. You're like the cover boy for morons.
Unless you meant the bit where I accidentally miscalculated the overall price for 3tb of ssd drives. But rather than fix it, I thought it would be best to keep the mistake, just to piss you off. Dont be so mad kid.
It's ironic that I'm watch idiot abroad and also talking to you. Strange how things just work out isn't it.
Quote from dadge :Unless you meant the bit where I accidentally miscalculated the overall price for 3tb of ssd drives. But rather than fix it, I thought it would be best to keep the mistake, just to piss you off.

right... thats the worst excuse youve ever come up with for your lack of intellect
why do i even bother engaging in conversations with the village idiot?
Quote from Shotglass :right... thats the worst excuse youve ever come up with for your lack of intellect
why do i even bother engaging in conversations with the village idiot?

Because it's a level you're more comfortable with?
So would you rather I tried to cover my mistake? let's not talk about your mistake eh? when was 128gb 4 times smaller than 3tb? Honestly dude, you go around this forum messing up completely good conversations. look at this one for instance. Do you ever remember a time when the majority of this forum agreed with you? No, neither do I. You should have been swallowed. Your dads must be so proud.
any way, it's 4am. time to go to bed and scratch my balls. I would say it was fun, but I don't like making fun of fuktards.
Get a room kids.
Some thermal tape and heatsinks for my Raspberry Pi. ModMyPi case is still nowhere to be seen though.
Attached images
raspisinks.jpg
IMG_1164.JPG
It's a Logitech G400
Attached images
logitech-g400-title.jpg

$9.98 with free shipping
A pair of these

in 205/55/17, just a little bit of sidewall stretch, plus the 225's that these rims had fitted to them before i bought them looked like balloons, they do the job for £40, yeah they are part worns, but 4.2mm tread on each, plus the way this thing eats front tyres theres no point in paying £100+ per tyre when they barely last 3 months, well, about 90% of the tyre is fine, just the very inner edge goes bald, but thats a price i pay for going low i guess, the side effect being huge camber, adjustable top mounts may well soon be on my list of things to buy.
Quote from danthebangerboy :A pair of these

in 205/55/17, just a little bit of sidewall stretch, plus the 225's that these rims had fitted to them before i bought them looked like balloons, they do the job for £40, yeah they are part worns, but 4.2mm tread on each, plus the way this thing eats front tyres theres no point in paying £100+ per tyre when they barely last 3 months, well, about 90% of the tyre is fine, just the very inner edge goes bald, but thats a price i pay for going low i guess, the side effect being huge camber, adjustable top mounts may well soon be on my list of things to buy.

Out of interest, where do you get your part-worns from?
Quote from dadge :19 hours too late bud. lol

There's life'n shit outside of pc also ukno' bro. lol
Quote from Jakg :Out of interest, where do you get your part-worns from?

I use a guy on ebay called tyresonlineuk, very reasonably priced i would say, i used to get them from a local place, but a 205/50 17 from there is approaching the £40 mark, so when i can get a pair for under 60 incl postage it just makes sense to buy from ebay, postage is 16 quid for a pair of tyres, altho i am lucky in the sense that a mate of mine works for ATS, and has a tyre machine in his van, he either does them for me or if he is busy chucks me the keys and i fit them myself.

Post your Last Purchase!
(7003 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG