The online racing simulator
will removing stock skins cause multiplay issues?
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if removal of skins that came with LFS would cause issue.. as in will I still see them during online play, if somebody were to use one I've removed? I'm guessing yes, but wanted to be sure before removal from my skins folder...
Quote from Tinytacohead :I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if removal of skins that came with LFS would cause issue.. as in will I still see them during online play, if somebody were to use one I've removed? I'm guessing yes, but wanted to be sure before removal from my skins folder...

In principle, no. To see other players' skins you must download them to your machine - like you do when you download LFS the first time for the default skinpack or through LSFW for custom skins if you're S2.

However, considering the intricacies of the human mind, I would guess someone, somewhere, has had the default skins uploaded to LFSW with their original names, so, it's possible that they'd be downloaded again if someone was using them to race online, which obviously negates the effort of erasing them in the first place!
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :...I would guess someone, somewhere, has had the default skins uploaded to LFSW with their original names, so, even if you delete them from your folder, it's possible that they'd be downloaded again if someone was using them anyway.

Which I guess answers/leads to question #2.. when the game auto-downloads other players skins, do they go in the main skins dir? I've always just assumed they went to a different folder where they were automatically put into some type of compressed format. (as this is how a flightsim I play handles custom maps, when one plays an online room with a scenery they've never flown)
Quote from Tinytacohead :Which I guess answers/leads to question #2.. when the game auto-downloads other players skins, do they go in the main skins dir? I've always just assumed they went to a different folder where they were automatically put into some type of compressed format. (as this is how a flightsim I play handles custom maps, when one plays an online room with a scenery they've never flown)

They go into a different folder, but are not compressed as such, they are merely downloaded at lower resolutions (512px), while still keeping the original names and .jpg extension, so, in practice, you could transfer all the skins you've downloaded to your main skin folder and race with them yourself, as long as you didn't change their names. Although you'd probably want to give berth to several moral and graphical questions that would arise from that, as you'd basically be pirating and your skins would look shite.
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :They go to a different folder, but are not compressed as such, they are merely downloaded at lower resolutions (512px)...

Sweet - thanks for the answers, but now I guess that leads to one more.. :o does that mean when somebody else see's a new/my skin, they see it in 512? (tho it was uploaded in say 1024)
It depends on their skin-download settings.

Low res car skins (default settings) will download other players skins at 512x512 (even if you've uploaded at 1024x1024).

Hi-res car skin downloads are a premium option which is charged at £1 for each 2000 skins that you download. For hi-res skin downloads to work you need to have a positive balance on your LFS account.

Click on LFS' Options > Misc > Car skins download > 1024 for more info.
Quote from Tinytacohead :Sweet - thanks for the answers, but now I guess that leads to one more.. :o does that mean when somebody else see's a new/my skin, they see it in 512? (tho it was uploaded in say 1024)

In 99.99% of the cases, yes. Car/Helmet skins can be uploaded to LFSW in upto 1024/512 pixels, respectively, and are then compressed to 512/256. There is an option under the Misc menu in the Options that allows you to select whether you'd like to download the skins in their original or reduced sizes, or if at all, but to download the skins in their original sizes, you need to add credits to your LFSW account. £1 would entitle you to 2,000 downloads of 1024px car skins, for instance, but I don't think anyone uses it these days. In fact, you can find many skins in much higher quality (usually 2048px) on the forums and team sites, for free.

Don't interfer with my helpful answers, Silver. :P
Quote from Silverracer :It depends on their skin-download settings.

Low res car skins (default settings) will download other players skins at 512x512 (even if you've uploaded at 1024x1024)...

Ahh dang, yea I knew about that option but guess remembered wrong. I thought default was 1024 & hi/pay was 2048. Makes me kinda sad, putting soo much time into simply editing/tweaking a skin, to know they'll be seen so crappily by the majority. (more specifically, my friends) Oh well, what can you do right. Thanks again! (both of ya )
Have you confused me with Flame or Deko?
Quote from Tinytacohead :A...(more specifically, my friends) Oh well, what can you do right.

You can send them your skins manually. They put it in skins/data and it will be converted by LFS into DDS.

They might need to delete the DDS ksins from LFSW. (depends on creation date i think and newer files will be updated automatically)

Low-res will be found in skin_x and hi-res in skin_y (skin_dds is for the local/personal original .jpg skins)
Quote from JazzOn :You can send them your skins manually...

Oh sweet, thanks. I was actually planning to do so anyways, (as they're new and literally have none), but for some reason hadn't thought it through. :o Good to know about the X & Y/DDS's too. Probably woulda been my next question.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG