The online racing simulator
More Tuning options.
(73 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :F is close to R on the keyboard I suppose.

I just wish that anything to do with cars was a simple as lala actually thinks...

its simple on certain levels if your someone who actually designs engines from ground up and work for a company like BMW or honda then it isnt simple. but if you do it sorta as a hobby buying an engine block and head and slapping them together it isnt that complicated.

Quote :
Interesting... Could you teach me more about this A/r ratio?

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/ ... nter/turbo_tech102.html#b

Scroll Down to Turbine A/R

Quote : An even better reason not to generalise. The continent is even bigger.

i didn't mean to gerneralize but it is true to some extent.
oops.
Quote :its simple on certain levels if your someone who actually designs engines from ground up and work for a company like BMW or honda then it isnt simple. but if you do it sorta as a hobby buying an engine block and head and slapping them together it isnt that complicated.

Marvellous! So by the same philosophy, designing a high performance jet fighter may be tricky but making a paper aeroplane is quite staightforward really. Thanks for this fascinating insight, its all so much clearer now
Quote from al heeley :Marvellous! So by the same philosophy, designing a high performance jet fighter may be tricky but making a paper aeroplane is quite staightforward really. Thanks for this fascinating insight, its all so much clearer now

i suppose u could look at it that way. i am sure by todays standards the wright brothers plane isnt to complicated.
Slightly off-topic
It never ceases to fascinate me how demo racers want to add stuff to a game they haven't played
That's not a jab, but this topic has me thinking - often on this forum, it seems the guys asking for more content are demo racers. I would like to understand why a person without a full LFS license who hasn't experienced all of LFS's content would argue that LFS needs more content
Would be funny to add all those nifty things to LFS, but lock it for all those demo players... Evil?
Not evil - perfectly logical! If they want stuff like that it's only fair they should cough up the bucks for it :up:
(muaahahaha!)
Wow, I did not expect this many people to talk trash about it. I am sorry that I did not search, I am not a regular on the forum obviously by my 9 post count, but I was helping a friend install an engine an retune when I thought it would be neat to be able to do stuff like that in the game.

If most people want to just be pricks about it, I am sorry that i tried to add my input in what i thought would be a neat improvement suggestion.

I am not some F&F NOS bodykit fanboy from cali, just someone who enjoys playing games and working on cars. My spelling sucks, so what? Its the internet? Spell check is for important things.

Anyways, if this is how the local forum community acts and responds to suggestions, I will just assume stay in game.

If nothing else, atleast fix the spool time/match the turbo to the engine size, it doesnt not take 8k or 2nd gear to fully spool a turbo, 2500-3500 max for a decent matched turbo
#34 - wark
Quote from m374llic4 :I am not some F&F NOS bodykit fanboy from cali

:doh:
Sorry for the raw reception, M374. Clearly people were less welcoming than they might have been, but from their perspective this is an issue that's been covered many times. And some of what you got in reply was actually constructive criticism, I think. I hope the disagreement won't detract from your enjoyment of the game.

And Wark, don't worry, we know you Swiss Californians are different.
Quote from wark ::doh:

hah, sorry. just most people who come on nico with posts saying "I want to build the ultimate drift car with nos, neons and a 3 story wing." were from cali : P They indeed get a good bashing.
#37 - wark
Get a chatroom!
when demo racer post in the improvement forum it should be taken as "if this was in the game i would buy it." i would buy the game in a jiffy regardless of if it was locked from demo.
For now i rather wait for the Full version or maybe even a beta. i mean its one thing to go around blackwood a million times. but its another to buy the game and and have a majority of the people at aston
Oh I see lala. You suddenly started talking about area/radius ratios. I just assumed that you were an idiot and meant Air /Fuel ratio (in which you'd have been wrong).

In this modern world that loves acronyms it ALWAYS helps to spell out the whole thing first. I could pull any acronym out of the blue and you wouldn't have a clue what it's all about. Lets say the P/D ratio. It can apply to turbos.

Answer: Pitch/Diameter ratio of the mounting studs, duh. A useless measurement maybe, but nonetheless you had no idea what I was talking about until I spelt it out.

Therefore, after all of this I conclude that you need to work on your communication skills (as do most people you want NOS, Bodykits, Engine Tuning, Drift Tyres and that sort of thing with tend to attact the working class type of person, with little or no self respect about how they are perceived).
Quote from tristancliffe :Oh I see lala. You suddenly started talking about area/radius ratios. I just assumed that you were an idiot and meant Air /Fuel ratio (in which you'd have been wrong).

In this modern world that loves acronyms it ALWAYS helps to spell out the whole thing first. I could pull any acronym out of the blue and you wouldn't have a clue what it's all about. Lets say the P/D ratio. It can apply to turbos.

Answer: Pitch/Diameter ratio of the mounting studs, duh. A useless measurement maybe, but nonetheless you had no idea what I was talking about until I spelt it out.

Therefore, after all of this I conclude that you need to work on your communication skills (as do most people you want NOS, Bodykits, Engine Tuning, Drift Tyres and that sort of thing with tend to attact the working class type of person, with little or no self respect about how they are perceived).

I did type A/R ratio and not A/F ratio.
#42 - wark
Allow me to reiterate: It's generally a good idea to only start using an acronym the second time you refer to something; after you've already spelled it out. If you had, these posts would be unneeded.
Am not an Idiot in that regard. But if you mentioned P/R ratio and we were on the topic of turbos i would sooner assume preasure ratio.

But returning to the subject you, Tristan, have said before you don't think such a system could be realisticly implemented and not be complex. I on ther other hand think it can. For Example

Editable Turbo Parameters

Turbine AR
Turbine Wheel size
Compressor AR
Compressor Wheel Size
Boost
These 5 parameters is all the end user needs to know about. By no means Complex. Of course below all that, inside the game Engine, you have alot going. How deep the actual turbo simmulation has to be to get Results consistent with reality is still debatable.
And what would you look at on the engine to match those components? Lots of things! In short you'd have to look and consider about 50 different numbers and how they work together at the entire working rpm of the engine to make an informed decision.

In real life people mostly don't care, and just fit the biggest turbo they can fit in the space, but that's a FnF route that LFS shouldn't take.

Finally, if you want EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT on the engine to have this level of accuracy you end up with Scawen spending the next 15 years just programming about engine simulation.

P.S. P/R ratio would, if the p was pressure and the r was ratio, pressure ratio ratio - clearly stupid. I know you typed A/R ratio, but without explaining what you were talking about I (and many of us on the forum I'd guess) assumed you just couldn't type. Thus when introducing a new acronym into a discussion ALWAYS spell it out first (or make a little glossary of terms at the end if it is a long report).
GRRRRR But why would we need that!! FFS don't you get it? "Online racing simulation". Not online engine building&tuning competition. Best racing is achieved when the cars are somewhat equal, saying setup options make it unequal is stypid, offcourse they do but adjusting the car is what real drivers allso do. If we had complex system of tuning this would be "race engineer simulation"...thats something I wouldn't want. And thank god we will never get this kind of shit.

BAM!...the horse has now been shot, as someone asked it on the page 1.
#46 - wark
Quote from lalathegreat :Am not an Idiot in that regard.

And just how are we supposed to surmise this on our own with absolutely no help from you?

heheh...

No, really, first thing that jumps into mind when I see PR is "public relations." Not everyone shares your train of thought.
a
Quote :nd this is where i would like to see the ultimate difference in LFS and Gran turismo. IN GT u have preset parts, i rather have the ability to say u know i want a turbo that spool a bit quicker, so i edit the turbo by changing the A/r ratio now i have turbo that spool quicker but less of a top end.

was it really that unclear what i was talking about. Regardless that isnt the point.

Quote :And what would you look at on the engine to match those components? Lots of things! In short you'd have to look and consider about 50 different numbers and how they work together at the entire working rpm of the engine to make an informed decision.

this is the best part about virtual Reality Trial and error is alot less complicated than it would be in real life. In real life u can't just Shift S to you garage and change the A/r hit ESC and pull out the pits.

If i was going to put a turbo onto a car in real life i would look at the displacement, camshafts, Stroke, valve timming, Exhuast manifolds, Boost maps for the compressor, before i select which turbo i would get.

Compared to LFS i would just go, ok lemme start out with this and see how that works; ok that sucks *changes it abit*

Quote :
Finally, if you want EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT on the engine to have this level of accuracy you end up with Scawen spending the next 15 years just programming about engine simulation.

do u think "EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT" on the engine needs to have this accuracy? i don't think so. There would be a need for an accurate engine Damage model (which i don't think anyone would mine) personally don't think it would take 15 years probably alot less. it would be alot less easier to test aswell.
So ultimately what you are after is a half-arsed tuning mode, where everything is simplified down to stats like "Top End +1, Fuel Economy -12" etc... That is what you get if you want a trial and error game with little simulation of the individual parts.
Quote from lalathegreat :Compared to LFS i would just go, ok lemme start out with this and see how that works; ok that sucks *changes it abit*

Ever seen how a real pitcrew at work? I had the privilage spending a day in a race teams pit area, and fits very nicely, they were adjusting the turbo. It went like this: we have adjusted the turbo pressure, you'll get more turbo now, try how it feels, if it's still solid after 3 laps, we can boost it up some more. We'll see. Off you go!

So actually, it is kinda how you do it in LFS, you adjust something a bit, it sucks, change it a bit, it's good, leave it.
Quote from Blackout :GRRRRR But why would we need that!! FFS don't you get it? "Online racing simulation". Not online engine building&tuning competition. Best racing is achieved when the cars are somewhat equal, saying setup options make it unequal is stypid, offcourse they do but adjusting the car is what real drivers allso do. If we had complex system of tuning this would be "race engineer simulation"...thats something I wouldn't want. And thank god we will never get this kind of shit.

BAM!...the horse has now been shot, as someone asked it on the page 1.

am not asking for a free for all no limits. just because you can change power levels of cars dosent mean you cannot have Equal Racing. i would love to have the ability to race with 600HP GTR cars and not just one power level over and over. it dosent mean Everyone cannot be on the same level.
Changing the power Levels Changes the whole Dynamics of a race, racing lines, braking points, pit strategy, it keeps the racing fresh.

More Tuning options.
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG