The online racing simulator
FlightRadar
(36 posts, started )
FlightRadar
http://www.flightradar24.com/

An awesome thing I found today. It's a google-earth style interface showing the real-time flights of pretty much every aircraft on the planet. You can click each plane to show information on it, and even show a stock picture of the actual aircraft.

It's a little sad, but I've just happily spent an entire hour on it, just watching stuff fly about.
#2 - J@tko
OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!!

Definitely now failing my exam tomorrow - SO COOL! Thanks for sharing
Quote from J@tko :
Definitely now failing my exam tomorrow - SO COOL! Thanks for sharing

True that, I am so screwed...

Seriously, this is incredible...
The territoricist in me is very gleeful
#5 - PoVo
What happens to the yellow plane picture when it explodes in the air or something like that? Does it just vanish? Need to wait and see.
#6 - Bean0
There's a one for ships too - www.marinetraffic.com

It's quite surprising just how busy some ports are.
lol, takes me back to my Flightsim days, when I just flew around europe chasing random AI planes (4GB of ProjectAI traffic ...)
It shows about 50% of bigger aircrafts and no small aircrafts at all flying over my house. Still fun tho, great to see an airplane flying over me, then look to the sky to check if it's true.
Awesome! Saw one heading for Leeds and Bradford so clicked it to see what colour/kind of plane it was. Went out into my back garden and there it was!

Quote from ACCAkut :lol, takes me back to my Flightsim days, when I just flew around europe chasing random AI planes (4GB of ProjectAI traffic ...)

it takes me to times when volcano Eyyohellofcukyall erupted and I was watching when airtraffic was up again in Europe.
Quote from R34GTR :Awesome! Saw one heading for Leeds and Bradford so clicked it to see what colour/kind of plane it was. Went out into my back garden and there it was!

Were you live?
I am pretty sure he was
I also watched flightradar24 back in 2010 when the iceland cloud of ash moved over europe.

There also was a timelapse youtube video of flight action collapsing completely during that phase, can't seem to find it... anyone?

(And there's a flightradar24 android app availlable as well fyi)
Quote from R3DMAN :Were you live?

I'm in Meanwood/Headingley, get a pretty good view of them heading in to land though
Welcome to 2010, get with the programme!

I use FR24 to see what the planes are that I can see/hear coming out of Edinburgh, though there's a lot of Flybe and other traffic that doesn't get picked up. Also, it's always interesting to have a look at the planes waiting to land at Heathrow, and some of the holding patterns they are in when you click on one.

Quote from Bean0 :There's a one for ships too - www.marinetraffic.com

It's quite surprising just how busy some ports are.

My dad used that and managed to find a ship he built at Leith years ago, down on the south coast!
Quote from rediske :I
(And there's a flightradar24 android app availlable as well fyi)

Just bought the pro version of the app (£1.86 - bargain!) and...

OH WOW! It has augmented reality mode - just point your phone at the planes in the sky and it annotates the view - a random plane just went over high above the clouds and my phone told me it was a PIA 777.
And what would/does it show when two pass close by (both?) or at the airport (full list?)?
Quote from R34GTR :I'm in Meanwood/Headingley, get a pretty good view of them heading in to land though

im in yeadon just opposite the runway

i work in meanwood sometimes, a place called greenwood mount near the new waitrose.
Oh yeah I know whereabouts you mean. I never see your car around though!
Wow this is one of the coolest web sites I've ever seen
It shocks me how few planes there are in the sky over America. Are there really that few or is there some reason why that is?
Quote from MadCat360 :It shocks me how few planes there are in the sky over America. Are there really that few or is there some reason why that is?

If you look over the Atlantic, that zone i blacked out.
but the reason why they don't show ALL the airplanes in America is still to be known.

I believe it has something to do with your security.
Quote from Dennis93 :If you look over the Atlantic, that zone i blacked out.
but the reason why they don't show ALL the airplanes in America is still to be known.

I believe it has something to do with your security.

If someone would see a plane heading towards NY center, the whole america would panic. Again.

FlightRadar
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG