The online racing simulator
Option for sound outside of game
I've been broadcasting for a while now and the thing that would make it so much easier on LFS is if we could click off the LFS window and still have sound.

It would be incredibly helpful, and would help people develop overlays to use as well.

That is all.
A quick solution, 2 monitors, in one monitor you leave lfs running and the other you do whatever you want.
Quote from Inouva :A quick solution, 2 monitors, in one monitor you leave lfs running and the other you do whatever you want.

That wouldn't quite work because LFS sounds can't be heard if its window looses focus.
Quote from Inouva :A quick solution, 2 monitors, in one monitor you leave lfs running and the other you do whatever you want.

Quote from MadCatX :That wouldn't quite work because LFS sounds can't be heard if its window looses focus.

Exactly what MadCatX said. I have 2 screens and that isn't a problem. As soon as the LFS window loses focus you lose sound. So during the broadcast you can't use an external program for overlays without your sound cutting in and out everytime you click.
i just tested it and is true,
Quote from PMD9409 :I've been broadcasting for a while now and the thing that would make it so much easier on LFS is if we could click off the LFS window and still have sound.

+1 on this.

Slightly off topic, can I ask what you use to broadcast PMD9409? Twitch.tv and xsplit/fraps/virtualdub, or something completely different?

<3
I suppose it would be possible to make DirectSound think that LFS wants its sound buffers to be treated as global, which is exactly what would do the trick. If there's enough demand for it, it might look into ways how to accomplish this.
Quote from the_angry_angel :+1 on this.

Slightly off topic, can I ask what you use to broadcast PMD9409? Twitch.tv and xsplit/fraps/virtualdub, or something completely different?

<3

I use to use procaster with livestream and got the best display with it. However they have done some renovations lately that I don't find too appealing. I had an account there since 2006 and was "grandfathered in" to having no stream cap limit, so it was quite nice.

Now however I have been using XSplit. I help broadcast for an iRacing company and they utilize Twitch and own3d currently. I also do other iRacing broadcasts that most of the time is on one of my Livestream accounts.

Finally on LFS I use my Livestream account. It's much more viewer friendly and I can make the page look pretty.

For iR broadcast:
iRacing World Tour 2012 - Sebring 120 Minutes

For LFS broadcast:
2012 MoE 24hr
2012 SuperGT Series

I try to do everything in 720p.

Quote from MadCatX :I suppose it would be possible to make DirectSound think that LFS wants its sound buffers to be treated as global, which is exactly what would do the trick. If there's enough demand for it, it might look into ways how to accomplish this.

I found a silly way around it. Unfortunately I need my laptop for TV Director, but for overlays I have to use my phone, yes, my phone.

I'm using an app called gPad for Android. I link my PC and phone through WiFi and then can use my phone to control my PC. Not like remote access. I can use the app as a mouse, or I can use it to my "buttons" which are basically just button combos or scripts.

So then I create a new sheet and place buttons that are for each scene and overlay. It's a lot of work and jumping from PC to laptop to phone is definitely not ideal for a broadcast. iRacing for example has the sound option so I run everything on my PC, while is so much easier it is unreal.
What do you use for the overlays?

I use gPad sometimes too, as a button box!

There is another app (for Android phones) similar to gPad that I think may be more powerful, flexible and easier for programming the buttons it is called Unified Remote. I have not played enough with it but it uses XML (PC-side) to define the button layouts on the phone.
Well unfortunately there isn't an automatic overlay system like with the iRTVO tool made for iRacing. Instead you have to do the overlays manually using XSplit and its scenes. Currently the main stuff to overlay would be race information, previous results and points, qualifying for the race, and a display showing who the commentators are.

Obviously it is unavailable to show drivers and teams through overlays currently. TV director already has a small system for that anyways. The thing is, its overlay is by insim buttons I believe, where as it would be much easier to have the data extracted and easily configurable to display on images we create.

It would look a lot more professional and much much easier as a whole package.
Old LFS version P/Q have sound and outside of game, when LFS window looses focus. Windows 7 x64 here... Testing NOW.

Scawen, pls make this work, like it was before.
I remember your saying "problem is in Windows Vista/7", but apparently not.
Older versions of LFS used waveOut whereas current versions use DirectSound, because waveOut didn't work correctly on Vista. DirectSound has to be specifically told to use global sound buffers so you could hear the sound even when application is backgrounded.
Quote from MadCatX :Older versions of LFS used waveOut whereas current versions use DirectSound, because waveOut didn't work correctly on Vista. DirectSound has to be specifically told to use global sound buffers so you could hear the sound even when application is backgrounded.

W7 x64 here, I don't have Vista for testing now...
Anyone?
Quote from pmd9409 :i've been broadcasting for a while now and the thing that would make it so much easier on lfs is if we could click off the lfs window and still have sound.

It would be incredibly helpful, and would help people develop overlays to use as well.

That is all.

+1
Quote from nesrulz :W7 x64 here, I don't have Vista for testing now...
Anyone?

Anyone with Vista for test?
Quote from nesrulz :Anyone with Vista for test?

I just tested it on Vista in windowed mode, and after I actually got the sound to work by putting sound lag up to 0.24, I drove about then watched the replay - clicked off LFS and I still had the sound!
Quote from boothy :I just tested it on Vista in windowed mode, and after I actually got the sound to work by putting sound lag up to 0.24, I drove about then watched the replay - clicked off LFS and I still had the sound!

Thx.
Yeah the one is the DirectSound stuff that MadCat was talking about. The other just seemed to be Vista unlock issue (just skimmed over it all).

Wish this could be fixed.
I don't want to be offensive, but Vista is the most bullshit Operating system ever.
Almost anyone with 5.1 surround and Vista has problem. Heck, even Bill Gates himself said Vista sucked. (google it)
As an apology for Vista, they released Windows 7, a bit better....
You don't want issues? Use windows XP or Mac....
(everyone has an XP cd-key or they aren't hard to get for free, LEGALLY)
-
(TFalke55) DELETED by TFalke55
Quote from lolzol :I don't want to be offensive, but Vista is the most bullshit Operating system ever.
Almost anyone with 5.1 surround and Vista has problem. Heck, even Bill Gates himself said Vista sucked. (google it)
As an apology for Vista, they released Windows 7, a bit better....
You don't want issues? Use windows XP or Mac....
(everyone has an XP cd-key or they aren't hard to get for free, LEGALLY)

shhhh... you surpassed the borders of being off topic this is not a thread to flame about MS Vista.
I just meant to say that it's futile to try this in Vista, as no one should use it.
But point taken and let me apologize.
:iagree:

Sound outside of game it was a great feature, pity to lose it because of Vista.
I never bump things, but I wish Scawen would look at this and see if it's an easy addition.

Option for sound outside of game
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG