The online racing simulator
#1 - JeffR
Faster shift times for the race cars, please
For the top "R" race cars and the FO8, the shift times should be much quicker, so as to emulate the real thing. For example, below is a link to a video of a BMW 320 E36 race car, similar to the "R" cars in LFS. Turn down the speakers as the rear end is really loud and whiny. I've read told that these cars use an Xtrack box, a very fast sequential shifter. Sequential shifter shift times are 30ms to 50ms, versus LFS's shift time, > 300ms (with auto lift off, with auto lift on, it seems even slower), 6 to 10 times as slow.

Because of the slow shifting and maybe an unrealistically wide power band on the race cars (even the FO8), running a setup where only 3 or 4 gears are used instead of all 6 is faster in LFS. It shouldn't be this way, since it isn't this way in real life.

Even if you don't agree with my idea on faster shift speeds, the video below is still impressive and worth the download. 4 classes running at the same time, and this very fast car is starting from the back of the pack because of a qualifying incident, so he gos through the pack very quickly.

You can find the on the link belowm click on the Rolf Van Os in een BMW ... E36 link here:

http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/videos.asp
#2 - JeffR
#3 - mdmx
:iagree:
I totally agree with you. What is missing on LFS is different types of gearboxes. In racing cars they allmost always have a sequental gearbox. Which means, you don't have to clutch (auto or manual ) when shifting. Clutching takes too much time.

Also in sequential gearbox there is no 'N' (no gear on) between different gears. Sequential racing gearbox got way different syncronization, there is two gears "on" all the time. And when u shift, u actually just pick another one of those two. So the revs don't go high even if you don't lift the throttle when shifting. This also affects very much of handling and driving style. In LFS it's kinda hard to shift when turning.

Another think that video proofs, and which i and many of us allready knew, is the very bad sound engine of LSF.. the racing gearbox and differentials makes VERY bad noise when accelerating on high speeds. RBR modelled this moderated, but in LFS it's very bad.

If LFS dev team didn't have time or oppoturnity to go sit in a real racing car for a few laps, then at least they should be watching that kind of videos. :bullwhip:
yeah, the shifting for the formula 3000 and nippon cars is much faster IRL. i mean consistantly.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG