The online racing simulator
Help with blackwood lap time please!
Hi, I need some tips on how to get better lap time with the XF GTi on Blackwood track.
I have achieved respectable lap times around the 1.36 mark while racing online but I can't get better. Is it my setup or is it my lines? Is there a video out there that can show me good lines and a good setup?
The way I'm trying to get better is that I'm trying to race a "PRO" GTi and win and I just can't its so frustrating.
I'm using a Logitech G27 wheel.

Any tips or links with info would be great.

thanks
Nick
Hello Nick!

There are loads of similar threads and all sorts of tips that one could do to improve their lap times - you could do a simple search on the forum and come across a few.

You can also have a look at this stickied thread which contains loads of useful info - Driving Tips.

However, to get the best tips from the fast(er) drivers it might be best to post a replay of your racing (hopefully one with a few clean laps). If you are not aware, you have to enble recording the replay (Options>Game>Multiplayer Replay Save>Enabled) and then after an online race you have to press the "2 key" and enter a name to save the replay. The replay will be saved in /lfs/data/mpr and you could directly upload it to the forum when you reply...

Good luck with getting your pb down to 1.33s or less!
XFG BL laptimes
As he said, post a replay would be a good first step.

You can also try visiting Redline Racing server 1, where you will often find people willing to help you out. I'm there most days at around 17:00 BST (British Summertime = GMT + 1).
I can see you are from Australia so there may be some problems with Lag, but we have had some Aussie drivers that seem to be ok.

I'm an admin there, Racing name Redline Quinn. I can usually get people into 1:34.xx times fairly quickly.

Also if you want to practice yourself, try presing the 4 Key for the racing line. It's not perfect but it will certainly get you close.

Just ignore the suggested Red section start point as a place to brake, you can brake a bit later than that.
Stay off the gas when the line is Orange, start getting back on gas as it fades from Yellow to light green.
I would also suggest not having the line in the centre of your car in corners. For right hand corners have right wheels roughly on the line, left hand corners left wheels on the line.
cool thanks for the info guys...i will join red line racing room to get some tips...i finally beat the "PRO" racer on the single player but it involved a bit of rubbing in the S bends after turn 1... dunno if that counts but if it was a human player he would have backed off (i think)...i will try to do a video of my racing...hope its ok if its in single player though.
You can also try downloading the replay of the current world record lap. That might help you understand where you're losing time and where you need to improve.

Here's a link:
http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=60476

In case you don't know, just put the file in the "Live For Speed\data\spr" directory.
Quote from HYPNTK :Hope its ok if its in single player though.

Yeah, that should be alright - in single player you have to press 1 to save replay (as opposed to pressing 2 in multi player).
Quote from wildstyle :You can also try downloading the replay of the current world record lap. That might help you understand where you're losing time and where you need to improve.

Here's a link:
http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=60476

In case you don't know, just put the file in the "Live For Speed\data\spr" directory.

thanks man i'de love to see that
Quote from Silverracer :Yeah, that should be alright - in single player you have to press 1 to save replay (as opposed to pressing 2 in multi player).

oh yeah i pressed 2 but it still worked.
Here is my attempt at Blackwood with the GTi and on the 3rd lap i got 136 :P
Attached files
HYPNTK BL 3 LAPS.spr - 160.5 KB - 131 views
#8 - col
Do some research by googling phrases like 'traction circle' and 'traction budget' & 'optimum racing line'. There's lots of useful knowledge out there for you to absorb.

Find and download a 'replay analyser' app for lfs (http://www.lfs.net/?page=analysers), then use it to compare your driving with a selection of fast laps by others. This seems like a lot of work, but it is often much quicker than trial and error on-track. You can see in detail exactly where you are losing time, and where your line is less than optimal compared to fast drivers.

Remember that many of the really fast hotlaps take advantage of unrealistic setups and driving styles that exploit weaknesses in the LFS physics model. IMO it's best not to copy this approach as you will develop bad habits that don't translate to other sims, real driving, or future versions of LFS.

good luck

col
Replay
Had a look at your replay, generally looks pretty good.

You need to adjust your lines in a few places and try to use the full width of the track. e.g. at end of long straight you could use more of the left curb before turn-in, to straigthen out the bend a little more. And in a few other bends too.
You lost a lot of time in the last bend on lap 3 of the replay, took the wrong line and scrubbed off a lot of speed.

Some of your gear changes also look a bit sluggish, I'm guessing you are using the H shifter and manual clutch? Maybe try using the paddles and manual clutch, I find the G25/27 H shifter to be too imprecise.

But see if you can get along to Redline Server 1 when I'm online. If it's busy and you want some help without getting in the way of the racers we have 8 other servers to try.
Quote from col :Do some research by googling phrases like 'traction circle' and 'traction budget' & 'optimum racing line'. There's lots of useful knowledge out there for you to absorb.

Find and download a 'replay analyser' app for lfs (http://www.lfs.net/?page=analysers), then use it to compare your driving with a selection of fast laps by others. This seems like a lot of work, but it is often much quicker than trial and error on-track. You can see in detail exactly where you are losing time, and where your line is less than optimal compared to fast drivers.

Remember that many of the really fast hotlaps take advantage of unrealistic setups and driving styles that exploit weaknesses in the LFS physics model. IMO it's best not to copy this approach as you will develop bad habits that don't translate to other sims, real driving, or future versions of LFS.

good luck

col

that is a really good point, i thought of those types of exploits being used as well but i have a great interest in real life car racing so its important to me to drive as i would in real life
Quote from JackSun :Had a look at your replay, generally looks pretty good.

You need to adjust your lines in a few places and try to use the full width of the track. e.g. at end of long straight you could use more of the left curb before turn-in, to straigthen out the bend a little more. And in a few other bends too.
You lost a lot of time in the last bend on lap 3 of the replay, took the wrong line and scrubbed off a lot of speed.

Some of your gear changes also look a bit sluggish, I'm guessing you are using the H shifter and manual clutch? Maybe try using the paddles and manual clutch, I find the G25/27 H shifter to be too imprecise.

But see if you can get along to Redline Server 1 when I'm online. If it's busy and you want some help without getting in the way of the racers we have 8 other servers to try.

i spotted my gear changes as being sluggish when i watched the video of the record for this track in this car and figured he was using paddle shift...the only reason i havn't changed to paddles for this car is for the realism and also i enjoy it more :P
i'll give it a go with the paddles now and take your advice about the lines...thanks d00d

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG