The online racing simulator
what could it be? cpu? mb? ram?
(7 posts, started )
#1 - jnr89
hi, this is the thing, just build a new rig and when I turned on the whole thing, just a smell of fried cables appeared quickly.

all fans were working,along with the leds.
no beeps or video display.

turned it off, just checked the cpu and psu, even the gpu but they were ok, at least they didnt seem like fried or something

I turned it on again and i quicky could see the dvd drive power port smoking.
turned it off.. dvd drive is ****ing dead i think...

now, with the dvd drive unplugged to the psu, i turned it on again but there was no smoke or anything, still didnt display video or the beep sound.

Im wondering if my cpu is just dead, or it could be the mobo.
btw the mobo is an asus sabertooth and the lights were on all the time. (i could see a green and a red light)

my psu is a thermaltake toughpower (850w gold)
the gpu is a zotac gtx 470 amp.
mobo is asus sabertooth x58
every hardware is brand new, so, Im just affraid if something is just ****ed before using my rig.

someone knows whats going on here? specially my dvd drive getting dead before my eyes

I was thinking it could be a bad plugged cable or something, I dont want to buy more hardware, im broke lol, hope this can be saved

sorry for my bad english
It could be your power supply, have you tried with a different one? Also make sure it's set to the correct voltage for your area (I'm not sure what's in your area, 120V or 240V?). I would also try to boot without a video card, leave only the cpu and ram plugged into the motherboard and take everything else out. You can also try booting using only a single DIMM of ram.
I'm with cobra on the PSU. I'd definitely not try to power the machine up again with this power supply. It's possible that a faulty DVD drive short-circuited either 5V or 12V rail on the PSU which could damage other components too.
If you can, get a PSU that you're sure is OK and try it again with that...
#4 - jnr89
woah, a friend of mine, tested the psu some time ago, it did perfect, im thinking it could be the voltage from my country wich SUCKS...

I will try another PSU anyways.
#5 - jnr89
well guys, I thank you for your interest, i just found the problem, it seems the rams stick are...dead...Just change the ram and re-plugged some bad cables in the place they belong with a help of a friend, its ALIVE!!!

I cant wait to see LFS in this rig
Quote from jnr89 :I cant wait to see LFS in this rig

Don't hold your breath, LFS isn't exactly Crysis.
did u install the spacers on the motherboard?

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG