The online racing simulator
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Infineon Raceway looks wrong with green grass instead of the dirt/dead grass look.

It dies over the warm and dry summer months

And driver boycott of Texas would be a great thing to see (make them run the apron around the track if you must race there )
:huepfenic:clapclap::elefant::bananalla
Is his wife letting him drive ovals?
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Is his wife letting him drive ovals?

I think over the pre-season Rubens managed to convince her that they don't race in the kitchen, so it's none of her business,
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :I think over the pre-season Rubens managed to convince her that they don't race in the kitchen, so it's none of her business,

Now if they did it might be safer though due to the lower speeds
All the pessimism in this thread about ovals is annoying
Quote from DieKolkrabe :There's talk of a driver boycott at Texas (according to Wind Tunnel at least)

They don't like the current situation but it seems that they won't boycott the race: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com ... ash-texas-boycott-rumors/

Quote from Storm_Cloud :Is his wife letting him drive ovals?

Kind of: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97776

Quote from Yuri Laszlo :I think over the pre-season Rubens managed to convince her that they don't race in the kitchen, so it's none of her business,

Quote from JackDaMaster :All the pessimism in this thread about ovals is annoying

Very true...
Dega and Daytona have been repaved. Let them race there!
Quote from PMD9409 :Dega and Daytona have been repaved. Let them race there!

^ This, with a 43 car field, mid-race payday, double file restarts and DWC. All Lotus powered cars get a 1 lap headstart. Bonus points for wrecking more than 10 cars at once(rule proposed by KV). Each driver is allowed to re-join the race in their back-up car if they wreck
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :^ This, with a 43 car field, mid-race payday, double file restarts and DWC. All Lotus powered cars get a 1 lap headstart. Bonus points for wrecking more than 10 cars at once(rule proposed by KV). Each driver is allowed to re-join the race in their back-up car if they wreck

Great idea! (and just for the heck of it, don't restrict the power on the engines just to see what happens )

Second thought. Return to Kentucky, Texas, Las Vegas and all those tracks without a front or rear wing, rock hard tires and restricted engines holding the cars down under 200 mph

It might work, but it was kind of boring to watch the ovals as it was in person (now TV was a different story). Not much driving involved, so I'm glad they are gone for now (even though that means I won't be seeing them in Kentucky this year again )

Also, great news for the series in Rubens

IndyCar would be amazing to watch on ovals if only they lacked downforce and actually had to drive the cars rather than just battle for positions on the track. With the weight of the cars though that would take alot of work to acheive. NASCAR did a little bit of this this year on the plate tracks when it shrunk the rear spoiler, but they still need to remove more downforce in my opinion.

IndyCar could use a similar technique to make their quality of racing better (I know NASCAR didn't make this move for this reason, but it caused the result I desire none-the-less)

Also, great news in Rubens Should be fun to see how he fairs on the ovals that he claimed facinate him
Quote from Cornys :Second thought. Return to Kentucky, Texas, Las Vegas and all those tracks without a front or rear wing, rock hard tires and restricted engines holding the cars down under 200 mph

Sure,that would work!
Quote from Cornys :Second thought. Return to Kentucky, Texas, Las Vegas and all those tracks without a front or rear wing, rock hard tires

Yep - less downforce and grip, something that many people would want to see aswell.

Plus, the cars would look more badass with razor wings

Quote :restricted engines holding the cars down under 200 mph

Reduce Indy pole speed the 190mph and see the reaction from the die-hards:rolleyes:

Nah, I strongly disagree... Less downforce OK, but it has to be compensated with more power. Top speed is not the issue, aslong as you don't race in packs, you can afford going up to 230-240 in top speeds IMO.

Seriously, with this kind of speed IndyCars would be challenged by NASCAR in terms of speed averages. This sounds a bit wrong considering that the cars are like 3 times lighter.

Plus, IndyCar is facing a never-ending identity crisis, removing that one-century long status of "fastest closed circuit races in the world" clearly wouldn't help that.

Quote :It might work, but it was kind of boring to watch the ovals as it was in person (now TV was a different story). Not much driving involved, so I'm glad they are gone for now (even though that means I won't be seeing them in Kentucky this year again )

Strange, as I've heard several people saying the exact opposite. "TV doesn't give you the sensation of speed", "TV doesn't give justice to the intensity of side-by-side racing", "TV doesn't give you the on-the-edge feeling of mid-pack racing", etc, etc.

Quote :Also, great news in Rubens Should be fun to see how he fairs on the ovals that he claimed facinate him

Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Strange, as I've heard several people saying the exact opposite. "TV doesn't give you the sensation of speed", "TV doesn't give justice to the intensity of side-by-side racing", "TV doesn't give you the on-the-edge feeling of mid-pack racing", etc, etc.

I can drive just fine in 4 - 5 deep traffic on the road for hours on end, it's the difficulty that it should take to stay that close while at high speeds with a difficult to handle car that impresses me. TV offers a closer view of that close action and would offer a better view of the difficulty, but the difficulty isn't there in IndyCar. I've always hated wide open racing in all series (results in packs usually in all series). Actually make them drive the cars with more than just the throttle.

On another note, the speeds do scare me alot for the spectator safty. Debris through fences is my biggest fear. NASCAR holds the speeds to where they don't beleive that that is very likely to happen. If IndyCar hit high speeds such as in the picture of 241 mph (I know this will never again happen, but even 230 - 225 is very scary) then spectators would be seriously in danger should the least bit of air get beneath the vehicle (speeds do need lowered for saftey as well, but as you said, (and I agree with your argument) IndyCar needs to hold the speeds at least where they are.
Quote from Cornys :I can drive just fine in 4 - 5 deep traffic on the road for hours on end, it's the difficulty that it should take to stay that close while at high speeds with a difficult to handle car that impresses me. TV offers a closer view of that close action and would offer a better view of the difficulty, but the difficulty isn't there in IndyCar. I've always hated wide open racing in all series (results in packs usually in all series). Actually make them drive the cars with more than just the throttle.

On another note, the speeds do scare me alot for the spectator safty. Debris through fences is my biggest fear. NASCAR holds the speeds to where they don't beleive that that is very likely to happen. If IndyCar hit high speeds such as in the picture of 241 mph (I know this will never again happen, but even 230 - 225 is very scary) then spectators would be seriously in danger should the least bit of air get beneath the vehicle (speeds do need lowered for saftey as well, but as you said, (and I agree with your argument) IndyCar needs to hold the speeds at least where they are.

Well, IMO you just can't compare cruising in an average road car at 70mph in a plain every-day traffic, with going wide open in a single seater at 215mph among 25+ other cars of similar strenght, sometimes as close to you as millimeters to each other, all trying anything to take the checkers before you. The speed, the heat, the competition, the pressure for results, the greatly reduced FOV, the dependance to your spotter, all of those factors make the experience so different and much more challenging. But of course I've never driven a racing car myself, let alone a 600hp+ single seater on a mile and a half oval, so I can't say for sure. I guess we need to drag an IndyCar driver to this forum to know

As for spectator safety, wel, you do have a good point, but at the end of the day racing is a dangerous business, and IMO when you're attending to a track you must be aware that things could get ugly. Just like when you're taking your car to your daily commute, riding your bicycle or whatever other action you can do in your daily life - you have to understand and accept the fact that you could get hurt, or worse. If it's too risky for you, fine, you may stay at home aswell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but top-level AOWR has had no fatality and no one seriousy hurt among spectators in 12 years... We've had a couple of "could" and "if" moments but no bad injuries for the spectators. Considering that since then we've had hundreds of AOWR events on ovals, with ten of thousands of spectators each... That's not such a bad stat when you think of it. I'd say that you're probably safer attending an average IndyCar race that cruising on your average road car on your average everyday road.

I'm not sure that going back at 200mph would make things so much safer... 200mph is still an insane high speed, and plenty of things can still go badly at those speeds... Hell, Wheldon's initial contact at Vegas was at what, 140mph?

If you look at rallying, things are probably scarier from a spectator POV... Cars running at 200kph 2 meters from you, with no barrier between you and them, now that is quite something. There are quite a bunch of fatalities every year in Europe, but the mentality is different, everyone knows that kind of stuff happens, and when it happens it hurts, but it doesn't change the face of the world either. Hell, you still have your usual suspects sitting on ridiculously dangerous places. The medias don't act like drama queen either - though things would be different if the sport was broadcasted on TV, and if the bad crashes happened at higher profile events rather than regional ones.
Looking back, the accident in Charlotte, where spectators were hurt and killed was tragic. Even more as the area the hurt and killed people were was not officially opened. It was supposed to stay closed.

I agree with Yann, Europeans have a different attitude towards killed spectators. It starts with closed circuit tickets. When I was at Oschersleben last year for the opener of the German GT3, Super 2000 and Super 1600 Touringcars, Formula Masters and F3 opener, the ticket stated that there is the chance I could get killed if I watch the racing track side. At the Nordschleife there are even signs about that at trackside public roads.

And if you think driving around at 70mph in a pack on local roads is compareable to doing it at 220mph, then just come to Germany and drive in packs at 120-140mph, you'll get goosebumps I can tell.
Quote from TFalke55 :Looking back, the accident in Charlotte, where spectators were hurt and killed was tragic. Even more as the area the hurt and killed people were was not officially opened. It was supposed to stay closed.

I agree with Yann, Europeans have a different attitude towards killed spectators. It starts with closed circuit tickets. When I was at Oschersleben last year for the opener of the German GT3, Super 2000 and Super 1600 Touringcars, Formula Masters and F3 opener, the ticket stated that there is the chance I could get killed if I watch the racing track side. At the Nordschleife there are even signs about that at trackside public roads.

And if you think driving around at 70mph in a pack on local roads is compareable to doing it at 220mph, then just come to Germany and drive in packs at 120-140mph, you'll get goosebumps I can tell.

Of course the 220 mph pack is more intence, that goes without saying due to the quicker speeds and everything, but the point that I'm getting at is that with all of the downforce the difficulty involved isn't much different. Of course the fact of attempting to win the race as well facters in, but that doesn't truly set in until around 50 or less to go.. The rest of the race is just riding really.

Greater speed equals greater excitment, but if you can also get a greater difficulty to manuver the cars and factor some driver skill into the car's speed and driver/team strategy it makes the race much more exciting from my perspective.
Quote from Cornys :Of course the fact of attempting to win the race as well facters in, but that doesn't truly set in until around 50 or less to go.. The rest of the race is just riding really.

Hmm... sounds a lot like another kind of racing we're familiar with.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Hmm... sounds a lot like another kind of racing we're familiar with.

I hate the racing at Daytona and Talledega as well..
Quote from Cornys :Of course the fact of attempting to win the race as well facters in, but that doesn't truly set in until around 50 or less to go.. The rest of the race is just riding really.

Uhm, sorry, but track position is much more important than in that one other series DWB is refeering too, since although the pack remains close, it's still hard to pass, as unlike the racing at the other series, you can't rub others without going into the fence, and obviously you can't bumpdraft.

Maybe one can argue it's "just riding" in the sence that they have to save fuel, but they still have to maintain themselves as high as possible if they want to stay in contention. Maybe a few years ago in the IRL you could still see charges from the back to the front, but this was because the field was much smaller, and also more spread out since the difference between the have and the have nots was a lot bigger. You barely see that kind of stuff anymore. Well, Helio went from 28th to 1st at Chicagoland in 2008 so in a way it's possible in some special circumstances, but it didn't come easy to him, it took the guy a hell lot of efforts; and afterall we're talking about Helio, Penske, Chicagoland, and the very special physionomy of a championship finale.

But anyway you won't see people cruising in 30th all race long waiting for the big one(s) to happen, then suddently getting into contention for the last 20 laps - like what we've seen en masse last week at Daytona.
-
(Yuri Laszlo) DELETED by Yuri Laszlo
Complete trolling on the third video, the sort of stuff I like to do at the start of LFS races.

2012 IndyCar Series
(957 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG