The online racing simulator
some suggestions...
(17 posts, started )
some suggestions...
brake fade under heavy repeated braking, brake squeal under light brake pedal amount/levels to signify race pad compounds, brakes don't work well when really cold should also be added

also do the tire pressures increase when they heat up? with the new addition that is planned regarding tire sidewall deformation, will higher pressures allow less deformation like in real life or even tires with lower profiles? and what about clutch heat soak or engine heat soak meaning engine temps affect performance...
yes, Scawen has stated tyre pressures increase as the air heats up.
Quote from michaelnyden :brake fade under heavy repeated braking, brake squeal under light brake pedal amount/levels to signify race pad compounds, brakes don't work well when really cold should also be added

This would be cool =)

Quote from michaelnyden : also do the tire pressures increase when they heat up? with the new addition that is planned regarding tire sidewall deformation, will higher pressures allow less deformation like in real life or even tires with lower profiles? and what about clutch heat soak or engine heat soak meaning engine temps affect performance...

Well in NASCAR they use an inert gas( forgot the name, been awhile since I watched NASCAR Formula 1 also uses the gas) that will not expand much( like a tenth of a pound) under heat so this isn't an issue. higher pressures I thought already made less deformation, unless my eyes decieve me. I donno about heatsoak, never raced anything like that =P
Quote from Viper93 :Well in NASCAR they use an inert gas( forgot the name, been awhile since I watched NASCAR Formula 1 also uses the gas) that will not expand much( like a tenth of a pound) under heat so this isn't an issue. higher pressures I thought already made less deformation, unless my eyes decieve me. I donno about heatsoak, never raced anything like that =P

Nitrogen - a very prolific gas.
well above anything else, I think the brakes need to be worked on...fade, and inability to work when really cold from onset...just how the tires don't grip well the first lap from being cold...also, the squeal at low speed, low braking would add a lot of realism...or atleast implement it on the race cars...

and maybe the ability without using the slick mod to choose slicks for the street cars...since of course in real life you can buy race tires for street cars as we all know
You might not know (wth, join date Sep 2003?), but we had road supers for GTi & Co before. They got removed because they didn't fit the "road image" and nobody ever used the road normals.

If you added slicks as "an option" then it wouldn't really be an option because NOONE would use the other tyre compounds on normal racing. Besides that, the GTi is a flip-monster when using slicks. I think it's fine as is.
It's not about how fast the cars are, but how fast you are compared to other people in the same car.

+1 for the brakey things though
Quote from Viper93 :This would be cool =)

Well in NASCAR they use an inert gas( forgot the name, been awhile since I watched NASCAR Formula 1 also uses the gas) that will not expand much( like a tenth of a pound) under heat so this isn't an issue. higher pressures I thought already made less deformation, unless my eyes decieve me. I donno about heatsoak, never raced anything like that =P

It's not that in Nascar, the tire pressures don't rise when warmed. When they come off a pitstop, the pressures are low and you can see it in the sidewall, from the car bottoming out in the turns, and the tires rubbing on the fenders. The pressures come up in a few laps as they heat. Using Nitrogen makes predicting the tire pressures more accurate and precise and more stable.
I'd like to see brake fade and all the things mentioned. Anything that exists IRL should also exist in LFS where possible I reckon. Its a SIM after all.
Yeah LFS is a sim and real racecars don't have bad brakes LOL
illepall
Brake squeeling happens on pretty much all cars though.
Quote from pekkaw :Yeah LFS is a sim and real racecars don't have bad brakes LOL
illepall

I've heard even F1's brakes fades after longer straight when trey are cold and thus lag occures.

Squeal is good idea. Is it really hearable over the racing muffler, though... dunno
My understanding is that the nitrogen is there instead of air in order to eliminate water vapor. If they run air, the humidity that day will skew the hot tire pressures more than nitrogen, which gives more predictable results.
do what does everyone think? are these gonna happen?

I especially want the brake squeal under low amounts of braking at slow speeds and when cold....and the idea of the brakes not working well when cold and fading when too hot...

of course the street cars brakes will work better when cold then the gtr cars...but they will fade vs. the gtr cars which will not would be great to have...and the squeal on brakes like in rFactor is a nice added touch of realism...

and lastly, what about weather temps...don't really care about actual different weather, but different temps or a random setting as well, which would effect air charge density and hense lower performance, or even different elevations at the different tracks which effect performance as well...

then of course you would ask, then why wouldn't everyone set the ambient temps to low for more power, then brakes and tires would take a lap or so longer to stop working but when hot, the brakes would cool off faster...
I'm sure that brake fade will be modelled eventually. Ditto for ambient and track temperatures (I made a thread about this not long ago). I'm fairly certain that both of these things will be implemented before S2 goes final as Scawen knows they are important. And, frankly, until we have variable track temperatures many of the tire compounds will never get used. Once we get to the point that the track is very hot or very cold, then the different compound tires will be necessary instead of everyone just running R2s all the time. Even if the ambient temperature doesn't affect horsepower or fuel usage, it would add a LOT to the racing purely from the standpoint of tires. This would be especially cool for leagues or race series where you would qualify, then have to take the weather into account when planning which tires to use (and how far to stretch your fuel) during the race itself.
Semi off topic and semi not even serious, but; what about if you dive into the kitty litter (sandpit) and when you come back out, you have crap in your brakes and it starts squeeling and you have to jab the brakes to get the crap out. And it could even spark!
Although I'm sure brake squeal and a work round brake fade could be done pretty quickly I'd rather wait to see it done with properly simulated brakes including cold biting brakes to keep you on your toes

some suggestions...
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG