The online racing simulator
City mod/map with cars
(52 posts, started )
Quote from MAGGOT :If you know, then why did you suggest it?

Scawen himself said it on RSC.

Because if enough people want it, they might consider making a free roam city map and change the rendering engine.
the game is called street legal redline racing
Quote :In a city you can't set a path, so the engine wouldn't know what part to load up next.

A VERY simple heuristic could solve that, also if the path is stored in a linked list (which it probably is) then it isn't too hard to change the process to use a virtual link and including branching, which is just a case of adding a polymorphic data type. What is needed is the desire to do it, and spending a bit of time on it. However this video certainly wouldn't encourage me to go to the efford of adding that if I was Scawen, I actually stopped watching it pretty quickly.

I would like the feature though, so we could make our own [sprint] configs with the autocross editor .
Trying to ride off the back of the thread in general about the McLaren F1 road car, but I think too obviously faked because the car looks stuck on, and on the third picture actually a mistake on the left rear fairing.
Firstly thanks for the techy explanation that I didn't get one bit of

What's a fairing? (like to learn new words )

And yes, that game is redline racing, I like it (but don't have it, because I had the demo and that was just one big slow mess on my comp).
And I stick to it, I always dreamed about having a GTA like game with simulator physics. It would be fun, I'd love to drive around in a city, with realistic physics, with about 20 other people. But preferably more
Quote :Firstly thanks for the techy explanation that I didn't get one bit of

In simple terms, whilst the LFS engine is not currently designed to work with branching tracks, the process of adapting it should be possible, and yet still trick the rendering engine to render a linear track. The theory behind it isn't too complex, but doing it would involve a bit of work - I suspect, if it did happen, that the current tracks probably couldn't be adapted without a major rework because some thought would have to go in to where the branches occur along the linear path of the track.
Quote from ajp71 :Yes you can

http://www.google.co.uk/search ... p;as_rights=&safe=off

Well, since ajp71, tristancliffe and other smart gentlemen only can talk about their mad searching capabilities, I have done my own try. Here is my hit:

Quote from Scawen :
We have a special software render in the dev version which draws all the objects from every point, in a colour coded way and uses that to make a special efficient list that decides which objects can be drawn depending on where you are in the track path, so raising the frame rate a lot. You may have seen that go wrong in some cases where a car appears to be driving round in the air, probably after seeing a message "follower could not find position". And another flaw is that in some rare places, an object like a lamp post or something can appear and disappear incorrectly, due to being falsely obscured in the original software render.

Anyway, the optimiser render is a bit lower resolution than your screen, and that object which is missng there, was probably obscured during the optimiser render, although really it should be visible. My plan is to draw the optimiser at higher resolution to further reduce this kind of glitch.

Hmm, with that type of rendering, would it be kind of impossible to create an open, free roaming style map? For example, as some have stated an open South City would be cool. However, the way it sounds, it may be very difficult to get a decent framerate for something like that. Either that, or it would take a long time for the optimizer to work through the map.

Quote from Scawen :Yes that is a problem, and the main reason why we don't have a free roaming mode in the tracks yet. It's not just what's visible but also the lighting including lightmap and shadows that go over the car.

It seems possible to sort this out, by somehow having more than one path available at a time, for example both Blackwood configs together would cover the whole area, or at South City, the Long and Classic configs together would cover it all. Then LFS would need to do some path switching when you went too far off one path, it could work out which one to use.

But as usual quite a lot of code reorganising is needed because it's only designed to have one path and lightmap at the moment, other than that i guess it's a bit like being in Autocross mode, that means ignoring wrong way driving and disabling disabling path lap counting and AI drivers. So it's something i'd like to do but it's not high enough priority yet.

YAY!
I use more long words to say the same thing, so basically the conclusion here is i'm much more intellig inteligenig intellig inteligent than Scawen
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :i will put these up to tease you though

How the **** are you there?
Quote from Hankstar :Regardless of whether LFS could actually generate a free-roam city with traffic, I fail to see how it would actually be an improvement. If I want a city with traffic, there's always NFS or GTA (plus you can kill people in GTA - beats pressing [1] if you've got road rage ).

Because, for the first time in history, we might get a free-roam game with physics that don't completely suck ass?

The first Need for Speed was, far and away, my favorite racing game until LFS came along. It was very good for it's time and racing a friend head to head over a mountain pass with traffic travelling in both directions was exhilirating! I would pay $100 without hesitation to have a game with that type of gameplay and the quality physics of LFS.
looks very lfsish to me... would like that city track
Quote from deggis :Still waiting for some kind of "Microsoft Car Simulator" with a completely free world.

A very long time ago I was grounded for some time ,and inthat time, I honestly thought up what i write down in a mo

1) have £1000 to buy and tax a car
2) you need ot MOT it
3) real life fuel/oil consumptuion and performance
4) police
5) Breakdowns which you must pay to be fixed/towed
6) you get a job to earn money
7) crash damage is real
8) listen to say Radio1 through ur internet or put cds in gane
9) works with DFP ONLY (+G25 coming out soon)
10) realistic handling of each car
11) yearly updates of cars and roads
12) cars from modern to classic - ferrari to ford, mg to mclaren.
13) £50 to buy.
14) REAL RAODS

very brief overview
will be made to run on a p4 2.5ghz 512 ram and a 128mb 6600+ MIN specs
Quote from RAYfighter :Well, since ajp71, tristancliffe and other smart gentlemen only can talk about their mad searching capabilities, I have done my own try. Here is my hit:

Hmm, with that type of rendering, would it be kind of impossible to create an open, free roaming style map? For example, as some have stated an open South City would be cool. However, the way it sounds, it may be very difficult to get a decent framerate for something like that. Either that, or it would take a long time for the optimizer to work through the map.

YAY!

thanks for that
Quote from S14 DRIFT :6) you get a job to earn money

I already have to do that in real life. Why the hell would I want to do that in a game? illepall
^^ Never heard how popular the sims is...?
Quote from Krane :Because if enough people want it, they might consider making a free roam city map and change the rendering engine.

They have also said they would appreciate people to not make new threads on old requests. This request has been around since before the S1 days, and, like you said, you knew that it had been asked for before, so you shouldn't have asked it.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Because, for the first time in history, we might get a free-roam game with physics that don't completely suck ass?

The first Need for Speed was, far and away, my favorite racing game until LFS came along. It was very good for it's time and racing a friend head to head over a mountain pass with traffic travelling in both directions was exhilirating! I would pay $100 without hesitation to have a game with that type of gameplay and the quality physics of LFS.

As LFS is a racing sim based on circuit racing, I think the target market here is race fans who want a realistic driving experience and not a console thumb-hurting experience where you outrun cop cars. That market is already saturated.

Adding traffic to LFS would make it cease to be a racing sim and turn it into a chase game, but with better physics. Adding a chase element to LFS would remove the race element...it would not improve LFS so much as change it's nature completely. It would also attract NFSU/F&F/GT4-heads even more so than it does now and then we'd be inundated with requests for teh NOZ and sick bodykits and "stage 3 turbos". And S15 Silvias for dorifto banzai battles. We get plenty of that as it is. Damn that XRT for looking so ricer-friendly

If you want chases through traffic with realistic driving you'd be better off asking Rockstar games or the makers of NFSU to improve their physics

Don't misunderstand me though: I love my console racers and GTA and have literally wasted years playing them, but to me a sim is a sim. LFS should stick to racing and leave the arcadey stuff to EA and the like. Noone asks for X-Wings in MS Flight Sim...
Quote from Hankstar :Noone asks for X-Wings in MS Flight Sim...

actually i had one in FS2002 but that isnt the point. i agree
LOL
Of course you did Tak
Quote from deggis :Still waiting for some kind of "Microsoft Car Simulator" with a completely free world.

i second that
Quote from Hankstar :As LFS is a racing sim based on circuit racing, I think the target market here is race fans who want a realistic driving experience and not a console thumb-hurting experience where you outrun cop cars. That market is already saturated.

Adding traffic to LFS would make it cease to be a racing sim and turn it into a chase game, but with better physics. Adding a chase element to LFS would remove the race element...it would not improve LFS so much as change it's nature completely. It would also attract NFSU/F&F/GT4-heads even more so than it does now and then we'd be inundated with requests for teh NOZ and sick bodykits and "stage 3 turbos". And S15 Silvias for dorifto banzai battles. We get plenty of that as it is. Damn that XRT for looking so ricer-friendly

If you want chases through traffic with realistic driving you'd be better off asking Rockstar games or the makers of NFSU to improve their physics

Don't misunderstand me though: I love my console racers and GTA and have literally wasted years playing them, but to me a sim is a sim. LFS should stick to racing and leave the arcadey stuff to EA and the like. Noone asks for X-Wings in MS Flight Sim...

Heh, sorry but typical VIP talk. In my oppinion it is only correct if such a phenomenal combination of realistic physics, decent graphics and amazing network system found in LFS offers more driving situations to more players and their various preferences. It's not only about the circuit racing you probably have on mind. Although the AS National with GTRs seems to be the core experience in LFS, there is also remarkable variety of completely different events to enjoy. F1 races, NASCAR-like ovals, Autocross rally, MRT on its own, drags, drifting servers - all of them are so different that although I tried them all of course, I don't like them all. But still, I honestly don't see how drifters with their tuner XRTs are destroying my Aston DTM races. Why can't you just join your prefered server and let others have their drifts or ovals or autocross stunts for example?
And why couldn't we extend the posibilities of fun with this popular gameplay of Citylife as well? Especially when Scawen itself says he always wanted to do it, it's just not high enough at his dense priority features list?

You wrote you want a realistic driving experience and not a console thumb-hurting experience where you outrun cop cars. How about a realistic driving experience where you outrun cop cars? Which is obviously the only feel we can expect from Scavier? It's so obvious that the free roaming city being suggested here was ment to be based completely on the "You must do the driving!" philosophy, that your desperate try to twist it upside-down cannot be innocent. And that's sad.
Maybe the devs could take this up as a next project..? After S3 is finished, a new project, based on the LFS engine, but GTA like... It would be great to have this kind of game faster, but oh well.

The market is already saturated? I don't think so, I think a GTA style game with real life physics and net play is a hole in the market...
@RAYfighter, I think perhaps you missunderstood Scawen slightly, I read his post (and others) to understand that he would like to have the track being able to branch, but I dont believe he's ever said anything about traffic. In fact he says in the quote above the AI would be disabled in such a track, and other posts he has always insisted that LFS is a racing sim.

However I do agree with the key point you made, why should we dictate what communities we dont want LFS to cover.

I have no interest in drift and dont think I ever will have, but I dont mind them using LFS to do their thing. Whatever floats your boat.
yer the game shown in that vid is kinda fun but that car is a addon car/mod and if u want a more realistic kind of game/game's like that i susjest
mafia, street legal 1 with all the updates/ my personal favorite is Operation flash point flying with joystick and driving with wheel and pedals

City mod/map with cars
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG