The online racing simulator
Mosport Renamed?
(16 posts, started )
Mosport Renamed?
So another iconic name is now gone from the world of motorsport. Announced today, Mosport International Raceway has been renamed Canadian Tire Motorsports Park. As much as it's nice to see a cash influx into the facility, I'm very sad to see the name go.

I really hope this will result in upgrades to the facility that bring many more major races to the circuit. I guess as long as the track itself isn't messed with this will be a good thing.

[EDIT] Forgot the link.
#2 - JJ72
lesson learned, if you plan to be a successful company, have a good name for other people's sake?
The name is not totally gone is it? Most locals and motorsports fans will still use the "Mosport" name for the venue probably. A bit like Infineon Raceway is still seldomly called "Sears Point" today.
I'll always call it Mosport, same as how Mazda Raceway will always be Laguna Seca, Infineon (didn't they go bankrupt?) will always be Sears Point, and the Rogers Centre will always be the Skydome... but it's still sad to see it go. What happens when CT drops the contract? It will, inevitably, at some point come to an end, and then what?
Quote from MAGGOT :same as how Mazda Raceway will always be Laguna Seca

Well, this is a different case no? Mazda is just a title sponsor. Just like "IZOD" is the title sponsor of IndyCar for example.

Unlike Mosport, the track has not been renamed completely. Instead of "Laguna Seca Raceway" it has just become the "Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca" - and not the "Mazda Raceway".

Quote from MAGGOT :What happens when CT drops the contract? It will, inevitably, at some point come to an end, and then what?

I don't know... Either rename it Mosport, or to the name of your brand new sponsor?
#6 - 5haz
People will still use Mosport informally I'm sure.

Whats more important is that such a nice track continues to operate into the future.
Quote from 5haz :Whats more important is that such a nice track continues to operate into the future.

Yeah, this thread could be "Mosport RIP"...
Quote from TFalke55 :Funny... No mention of WTCC in this aricle what so ever

Not many people know what WTCC is over here actually.

Quote from J@tko :Until recently I didn't even know Infineon was a company - I thought it was where the track was

Quote :After the departure of Infineon, only one Sprint Cup track still has a naming-rights contract: Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.

Wow, the racing series with possibly the most blatant advertising schemes in the world only races at one track that has naming rights... that's pretty surprising to me.
More like, what products would be worth owning?
My point is that since what Infineon makes, it's not that well known as a company... actually I recently had to check if it was really the same "Infineon" in the track name
Yeah I get what you mean. When it first happened I was like "WTF kind of name is this?" Then my dad works in the automotive business and I noticed an Infineon box one day (out of lets say 5 years, I only saw that one box from them, so still rare). I looked them up and was surprised to notice it was a company.

Mosport Renamed?
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG