The online racing simulator
Rolls Royce Apprenticeships
(41 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
Has anyone been apart of, or applied for the Rolls Royce apprenticeship?

I have just applied for it and was wondering if anyone had any advice through the selection process? There is 20 people being taken on, so I highly need to make myself stand out. Suit will be out etc and trying to sell myself in the interview (no puns on that people :P lol).

So does anyone have any advice for the selection process.
Sorry to be harsh, and everyone needs hopes and dreams.

But you won't get it.
Are you talking about cars or planes? I got a friend who recently started working as engineer for turbine engines at Rolls Royce in UK, but don't know if he followed that process...

Klutch, that what losers say. Everyone was saying the same to me when I told I wanted to be a car designer and I made it...
Quote :But you won't get it.

Bit unfair, for all either of us know they guy could be truly gifted and will cruise through the interview. Sorry I cant help you with advice, anything I know from RR employees is 20 years out of date but I guess they still pride themselves on quality and precision. Good luck with it
#5 - J@tko
Quote from NitroNitrous :Are you talking about cars or planes? I got a friend who recently started working as engineer for turbine engines at Rolls

I'm 99% sure it'll be planes.

I'm probably not that much help, but think about what you need to be good at the job (meticulous attention to detail, being organised, thorough e.t.c.) and say that's what you are
#6 - sam93
Yeah its the planes. I am using it as another door to get into the industry.

I have experience in engineering industry, more motorsport based and also have a BTEC in Vehicle Technology (Motorsport Engineering).

What I like about the apprenticeship is not a company that is really going to use you as cheap labour (had that already done to me, like being taken advantage of, not fun) and also will take you onto University.

I had a lovely conversation earlier with the HR department of RR and you could tell they was impressed with me. Was talking to someone high up and had them in fits of laughter etc... And just making general conversation whilst they looked into my inquiry. Just to try get my name remembered etc... Wont happen but never know.

I was just asking of ways to face the interview as I know what I mean just putting it into words as I am very much a hands on person.

In 10 years I want to be in the Motorsport sector, just using other doors to get there and to get qualified but may find myself to actually like working on the planes.

It seems to be very much of the engines which I have applied for. Which I am extremely interested in and already have experience building race engines for group 4 rally.

Just to see what happens, and to sell myself to be better than the other applicants.

@Klutch, isn't really needed is it. I've spent nearly the last 2 years of college and also researching engineering. I wont get my hopes up no, but no harm in trying. Dream is to work in F1, but that is a very big dream which only a very few lucky people get to carry onto.
#7 - J@tko
Quote from sam93 :....

I remember watching a documentary about RR a while ago (I'm an engineer so general interest :P) and there was an apprentice on there talking about RR. I imagine it's very very competitive but if you get in there then you're definitely going up in the world. As general advice:

You never know what you might get, and who might notice your name for the future - that's what I'm doing at the minute
#8 - sam93
Quote from J@tko :I remember watching a documentary about RR a while ago (I'm an engineer so general interest :P) and there was an apprentice on there talking about RR. I imagine it's very very competitive but if you get in there then you're definitely going up in the world. As general advice:

You never know what you might get, and who might notice your name for the future - that's what I'm doing at the minute

Yeah deffo. Just have to hope and try my best in the interview and on the tests

I did apply for the technical by mistake, meant to apply for practical, made the changes earlier though. More than the qualifications for the practical Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship there. Also applied for RBR Apprenticeship scheme (thats a long shot) and Land Rover/Jag. Got unconditional offer onto National College of Motorsport also. Applied for engineering apprenticeships in Plymouth; Princess Yachts and Kawasaki. Just got to see what happens.
Quote :Yeah its the planes. I am using it as another door to get into the industry.

Just a suggestion, it might not be a good idea to give them that impression, don't know how it is now but RR used to like apprentices to make a career of it and stay with them for life.
Quote from stan.distortion :Just a suggestion, it might not be a good idea to give them that impression, don't know how it is now but RR used to like apprentices to make a career of it and stay with them for life.

I very much like planes, used to look into them a lot. But its engines, which is what I like. I'm sure I put earlier that I would probably find myself to enjoy it which it what I have found so far. I very much like every aspect of engineering. To me, learning and developing new ways of why things are there and why should be used and their uses is what I enjoy.

Currently, I can't stop looking into the company. And are excited to maybe get in to the job.

I have heard 90% of people high up in Rolls Royce were once apprentices.

What I am sort of saying. I am using doors I have never thought of using to get into the engineering industy at the level I would love to work at. One day I may fancy a career change, which one day everyone thinks about. Whether I do it or not, is another matter.

Where I get into RR or not, thats just something I will have to find out.
Will watch that later. Get a good insight into the company
jeez is the word engineer really that meaningless in the uk?
Quote :jeez is the word engineer really that meaningless in the uk?

Doesn't have the 'Doctor' or 'Justice' kind of status it used to have here and the UK, and still has in many other countries. My background is engineering too, used to be I wouldn't dare call myself an engineer due to no formal training but after working with many highly qualified 'engineers' that learned little more than jargon and technical terms I'm not so reserved any more.

Hopefully RR still respects the title, a Rolls Royce trained engineer commanded a lot of respect.
People seem to look at Engineers in disgust in the UK. But I love it. Just hope they give me the chance as usually get pipped at the post by bloody 16year olds as they have amazing GCSEs, when I have alright GCSEs, engineering qualifications and experience. Gets annoying and depressing at times.
Quote from stan.distortion :Bit unfair, for all either of us know they guy could be truly gifted and will cruise through the interview. Sorry I cant help you with advice, anything I know from RR employees is 20 years out of date but I guess they still pride themselves on quality and precision. Good luck with it

You say 20 years out of date, but after looking at their documentary. They are still a little ahead with technology which is all the matters really. Aslong as get good training, good working life and have people invest and look after you, all what matters for a good working life.

Wouldn't want to be in an apprenticeship where they use you as cheap labour, you know if you are used as that, a lot of time and effort isn't going to be put into you.
Quote from Shotglass :jeez is the word engineer really that meaningless in the uk?

Yeah there's a petition up atm to try and made "Engineer" a protected title, like a lawyer or whatever. FWIW, I'm a "proper" Engineer
Quote from Silverracer :Definition please?

Studying for an Engineering degree?

A "proper" engineer is someone like Brunel, not Bruce from British Gas who comes to fix your boiler.
Oh, good. Then I am a "proper" one too.

I envy Bruce though. He's got a job.

Mandatory B-grade meme dump.
Quote from J@tko :Studying for an Engineering degree?

A "proper" engineer is someone like Brunel, not Bruce from British Gas who comes to fix your boiler.

I was looking on the internet, apparently Bristol Uni is also very good for Engineering degrees. Would love to go to Brunel at one stage. Have to get qualified enough for Uni first ahaha.

Brunel was a bloody good engineer tbh. Got a lovely bit of his work 1 mile from my house.

Was looking at cranfields about a month ago, dogs bollocks and have to be dog bollocks to cope with it and get in by looks of things. Yeah I know being a masters etc... But they deffo seem to take the best of the best on.

Quote from spankmeyer :

Mandatory B-grade meme dump.

Haha so true. When I was at college people thought they would be basically be a mechanic and hated it when we was sat in college learning all the calculations but I loved it. Once got head around it all was good fun.
Quote from sam93 :I was looking on the internet, apparently Bristol Uni is also very good for Engineering degrees. Would love to go to Brunel at one stage. Have to get qualified enough for Uni first ahaha.

I know - I go there. (or was that your point? :tilt

Quote from sam93 :Brunel was a bloody good engineer tbh. Got a lovely bit of his work 1 mile from my house.

Ditto!
Quote from J@tko :I know - I go there. (or was that your point? :tilt

Ditto!

No, I meant with Brunel good engineer and now have named a uni after him. A lot of people go there I'm sure for the name. I was just stating that Bristol Uni is suppose to be brilliant for engineering which I have only just found out today whilst doing research on Rolls Royce.

What was it that Brunel did for Bristol again, I cant remember lol. We have the Tamar Bridge, tiny bridge but brilliant suspension bridge none the less.

What does get me thinking though, how people once just learnt these things through research, so what would a normal person be able to do on their own by teaching themselves. If you know what I mean

(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG