The online racing simulator
I finally went to my first track day!
(15 posts, started )
I always wanted to go to a track day and finally made my dream come true. I'd like to go either Infineon Raceway or Laguna Sega, but most of the ones I can find are more than I'd like to spend or I have to at least drive on a track once with any club. Thunderhill Raceway is the next closest track to me and happen to find a club having their first track day over there. Pricing is relatively inexpensive, so I signed up.

Since I had never driven on a track, I have to go through a "driving school" rungroup. Despite the many on-board videos I watched, the track felt smaller and narrower in reality. The first two sessions were there to show us the track at a slow pace and also practice how to "Point-By" faster people to pass (not like you can "Blue Flag Spam" the person ahead lol). The last three are on our own pace.

Due to the fact that the gearing is quite long and not very successful at heel-and-toe (my first manual car), I drove around in 3rd gear and it's enough to get around the track. My goal for this particular track day is to have fun and drive at the limit the best I can with very crappy OE tire and stock brake fluid. However, the car is too quiet to hear with my helmet on. The first session was ok, then I took a turn too early and ran off track at the outlap of the 2nd session. The last one I start pushing harder. The tires just don't have the grip under hard enough braking. As soon as I went back to the paddock, I can't use the emergency brake because it's too hot to the point that smoke is coming out. Brake pedal felt a bit funny afterwards, but still ok drivable. Not to worry, I made an appointment for brake fluid swap to some better ones.

Session #3 (wheel cam)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P46dyuYzGc8

Session #4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShFqQnyedv0

Session #5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HapHl-9sGmE

I'd love to go again, but I'm going to add a bit more power and decide on which sway bar to get and see how much difference will that make. Right now it's about 3 minutes to go around a lap.
Tire flex!
Quote from madbikes :Brake pedal felt a bit funny afterwards, but still ok drivable. Not to worry, I made an appointment for brake fluid swap to some better ones.

Its called brakefade...

and better pads will do more for you providing the fluid is somewhat fresh and not 20 years old.
Congratulations
Quote :Brake pedal felt a bit funny afterwards, but still ok drivable.

Pads would be worn differently with heavy braking, they should feel ok again once they ware a bit under normal braking.
Quote :the fluid is somewhat fresh and not 20 years old.

Fluid should be changed every 1-2 years because it absorbs humidity, it's another of those things that never gets done though, like gear oil changes
Quote from stan.distortion :Fluid should be changed every 1-2 years because it absorbs humidity, it's another of those things that never gets done though, like gear oil changes

Isn't brake fluid (the boiling point that is) checked as part of the MOT? Around here it is
Good to know some countries test it, brake lines rusted on the inside are scary. They dont test for it here, maybe do in the UK though.
Quote from stan.distortion :
Fluid should be changed every 1-2 years because it absorbs humidity

lolwut?

brake fluid lasts for years if you don't cook it.
Quote from stan.distortion :Good to know some countries test it, brake lines rusted on the inside are scary. They dont test for it here, maybe do in the UK though.

If only. All they check for here is signs of corrosion on the outside of the brake pipes.

Quote from Klutch :lolwut?

brake fluid lasts for years if you don't cook it.

Not really. At most you might get 5 years out of some brake fluid. The more humid the atmosphere, the sooner you have to change it.
#9 - Mysho
Quote from stan.distortion :
Fluid should be changed every 1-2 years because it absorbs humidity, it's another of those things that never gets done though, like gear oil changes

any proof of your statement? this sounds like a total bullshit imo.
Quote from Mysho :any proof of your statement? this sounds like a total bullshit imo.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, that means is absorbs water. Through general use the water boils away, you get gas in the lines, gas compresses, this means that your get a spongy pedal. There is nothing you can do to prevent brake fluid from absorbing water. Some of the newer fluids are more resistant to absorption of water, but it is an inevitability. So regularly fluid changes are the only preventative measure you can take.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Brake fluid is hygroscopic, that means is absorbs water. Through general use the water boils away, you get gas in the lines, gas compresses, this means that your get a spongy pedal. There is nothing you can do to prevent brake fluid from absorbing water. Some of the newer fluids are more resistant to absorption of water, but it is an inevitability. So regularly fluid changes are the only preventative measure you can take.

You got the point!
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :
Not really. At most you might get 5 years out of some brake fluid. The more humid the atmosphere, the sooner you have to change it.

A lot of people don't know brake fluid needs to be maintained. Over 80% of the cars I serviced has pitch-black or funny-coloured brake fluid.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Brake fluid is hygroscopic, that means is absorbs water. Through general use the water boils away, you get gas in the lines, gas compresses, this means that your get a spongy pedal. There is nothing you can do to prevent brake fluid from absorbing water. Some of the newer fluids are more resistant to absorption of water, but it is an inevitability. So regularly fluid changes are the only preventative measure you can take.

Thanks, that sounds fair enough. I will study it more now.
What car were you driving? Couldn't tell from the camera angles.
Golf Mk6. It's a 5-speed manual with the N/A 2.5L 5-cylinder. Wish the bolt pattern is the same as my other car so I could just swap wheels for the day.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG