The online racing simulator
Which CPU? and a Question
(3 posts, started )
Hi all, another thread

Currently I have a Intel E8400 @ 3.8ghz, can't really get it any higher than that, had it at 4.25ghz but after a hour or so it crashes (can't give the CPU any more voltage - 1.3v)

As most games now are utilizing four cores I'm looking to swap it for a Q6600, which conveniently I have available for free.

Not sure if it is a Q6600 G0 or B3, will check though. (if it isn't a G0 I won't be swapping)

At the moment in most games my two GTX 260's usages are around 40-80% depending on what is happening, would this be poor SLI scaling or bottlenecking?

If I drop all the settings in a game the usage also drops.

If it's my CPU bottlenecking? would changing it for a Q6600 overclocked to say 3.2ghz be better? (I know I can test it myself but it means swapping over the CPU's more than once lol)

One last thing, I am going to update my motherboards bios as according to some reviews for some reason it helps with over clocking.

Thanks for any replies.
I went from an E8400 to a QX9650, I found a really good deal on ebay and swiped it for cheap. Same clock speed, but twice as many cores, and an unlocked multiplier And my performance has increased. Both the CPU and the RAM scores are a lot higher in the windows experience index than they were before, and it's just better in every way. Looking back now, the E8400 is crap. I definitely think you should be using the Q6600 (if you already have it), but also keep an eye on ebay for good deals. I got my QX9650 for $150 like 2 years ago...no idea why it was so cheap but it works like a charm.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :I went from an E8400 to a QX9650, I found a really good deal on ebay and swiped it for cheap. Same clock speed, but twice as many cores, and an unlocked multiplier And my performance has increased. Both the CPU and the RAM scores are a lot higher in the windows experience index than they were before, and it's just better in every way. Looking back now, the E8400 is crap. I definitely think you should be using the Q6600 (if you already have it), but also keep an eye on ebay for good deals. I got my QX9650 for $150 like 2 years ago...no idea why it was so cheap but it works like a charm.

Ah right, well atm my E8400 is running at 4.3Ghz

The Q6600 is the B3 revision which I thought isn't good at overclocking, I can still try it but not sure if it's really gonna make the game run better.

I'll keep an eye out on eBay for a Q9550 or higher though.

(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG