The online racing simulator
It's such a shame to see posts like these, surely there must be something we could do to help get things moving. I can understand that the devs must have bills to pay and other commitments, and LFS may not be top priority for them anymore. so there must be something we can do to help. aside from BUYING A LICENSE!
I ate a muffin today. Got it for free downtown. Did not taste very good, so I threw it away and was thinking to post a nasty comment about it on the Internet. I really think people would care about my experience.
Just found out about this game, and as far as ive seen, why the hell will all hope be lost?! i've been searching for a game that consists of all the characteristics lfs has to offer. I don't know how many 'devs' there are but it seems they've come a long way with only 3? men on deck.
I really like what you said in this thread, you're absolutely right.
Nothin is lost!

If You are new to this game it will keep you buisy for years.

There is some development on the way as well...

Anyone who can afford it, should get a liscence. There´s no time to loose.

The only complain that comes to my mind is:

ALL THE OTHER DRIVERS ARE TOO FAST...

Dandy
Quote from Hoshimodo :+1
...you still don't own any of the sims you're complaining about in your endless repetitious postings, eg netkar or LFS.

*shameless self-quote*
After seeing that you are stalking the poor Eugene over at Racedepartment too I should add X-Motor Racing to the list of sims you constantly whinging about but refuse to buy to support the developers
Quote from Dandy Dust :The only complain that comes to my mind is:

ALL THE OTHER DRIVERS ARE TOO FAST...

Dandy

That has kept me away from multiplayer.
Now with rFactor.
Quote from JazzOn :justafan again xD

FTR Eric is modelling and some say he has done some, but he does not want to release them, just to piss you off :P

But seriously, there is always hope... just do something else in the meantime. It wont happen any faster if you keep 'askin' about it.

RF2 is just out. Why arn't you playing that now?

Hi JazzOn.I don't care when they release the new version as long as there is a new worthwhile version for release....

I regularly check about project cars and it seems its getting better every passing day...Still i am a bit worried about how realistic the physics would be in the end and the lighting feels a bit too intense...Rf 2 is still on early beta and i still play from time to time rf1..Actually by the way a little while ago the infamous Targa Florio got released for rfactor...
#34 - col
feck off
Quote from justasimfan :[...]as long as there is a new worthwhile version for release....

Define "worthwhile version", please.
Impressive how much you can troll without spending an one time 24 f. pounds huh. Amazing.

The attention you get is high. You don't even have to pretend to be female for that.

But, I tell you... You are.

Next!
Quote from justasimfan :Were before saying anything, to clear things straight up -I love LFS.But at the same time since 2005 were s2 was released there was basically nothing of large scale been released.

Well... if you upgrade to S1 and S2 you will find heaps of new tracks and cars. And the best is, this update is within your own control! So, your point is?
LFS is not really dying... watch the list in LFSW.

But IMO demo server really should be removed from the in game list. Normal (non leuge) races as me join populated server. Let's face it: in S2 ATM there are 3 racang servers online with more then 5 players. Then again only one of them contains only one class and none of them only the most populated S2 car. Just get rid of demo servers and I bet there will be a lot more going on in S2.

(There are at least 30 servers with more then 5 cars on demo servers ATM)
Quote from CheerioDM :That has kept me away from multiplayer.
Now with rFactor.

hahaha - are you serious? But honestley: For single-player-mode LFS is maybe not the best game in the world. Its value comes with the online-racing against others...

Cheers, Dandy
Quote from justasimfan :Hi JazzOn.I don't care when they release the new version as long as there is a new worthwhile version for release....

Well, im not sure either what you call a worthwhile version, but to keep up, as a complete package, lfs will be for a long time (if not for ever) be behind its competitors, id guess. So dont get your hopes up too much.
It's all about what is the important thing for you. The bigger community is most likely to be found at Rf2 (mind you mods will be free) naturally. But if scawen gets the physics right and eric releases something there surely will be many competitions in lfs.
Quote from Dandy Dust :hahaha - are you serious? But honestley: For single-player-mode LFS is maybe not the best game in the world. Its value comes with the online-racing against others...

Cheers, Dandy

I have done multiplayer many times. I just mean that is one thing that has caused me to lose interest. I am hoping the new updates will bring back more people and there will be more varied populated servers.
And now that I am trying out rFactor, it still feels like I am surrounded by LFS users because I can't understand how some people can get such quick times.
-
(Inouva) DELETED by Inouva : Is not worth it
@CheerioDM:
actually you are right with what you discribe:
Even in our team it was obvious many times, that newcomers and such drivers (like me) have never made it to the top three (lets say) got frustrated and left LFS for ever. People are used to winning, after all, from single player mode... There were and are beginner leagues and many possibilities of gaining experience online, but there is not guarantee one will ever get as fast as some freaks out there.
But: Often drivers are one trick ponys: The might be kings on As3 Gtr servers, for example, but hey, the would not spend a second or so on another combination...
Dandy
#43 - col
Quote from Dandy Dust :@CheerioDM:
actually you are right with what you discribe:
Even in our team it was obvious many times, that newcomers and such drivers (like me) have never made it to the top three (lets say) got frustrated and left LFS for ever.

This is a very good point. In a true simulation of motor racing with pickup racing and no structured hierarchy, only the more talented or very hard working drivers will have much chance of winning.

Newbies and folks with full time jobs or other similar commitments are going to be at a disadvantage compared with layabout students and schoolchildren .

I haven't played for a long time because I currently don't have a PC. I used to be pretty fast - no alien - but I usually had a chance. Last time I made a 'comeback', I was vote banned from a few servers "too fast, don't recognise the name, must be a cheat" seemed to be the reasoning, or it might have just been vindictive - "he's winning, so lets ban him". That's the flip-side of the frustration you describe.

The only time this problem of ability levels was sorted was when the CTRA was in action. IMO the Devs really will have to work on this side of things a bit harder. Maybe it's something Victor could work on as an expansion of the website side of things ?. CTRA really did turn a great sim into a great gaming experience for people at all levels.

LFS needs a CTRA style tiered competition system to give everyone a better experience, and it has to be official for it to work long term. We all know that a lot of people have stopped playing LFS. I think that for many it's not because of any weakness in the sim, or lack of content, but because CTRA closed, and it's never been the same since that day !

Col
Quote from jrs_4500 :If you're really interested in sims, you won't give C.A.R.S. another thought. I was interested for a while, but after seeing some gameplay footage I realized it's just a joke.

Well... You should have a look at the Pre-Alpha of C.A.R.S (play it, don´t just watch some Youtube-Vids) and then think about your words again

Even in this very early stage it looks absolutely amazing and the feeling behind the wheel is not bad. But let´s judge when the first Beta is ready for testing...
I don't think LFS is dying. There are just not a lot updates, but as i see it, they are working hard to get the new tyre-physics working and this takes a lot of time. Scawen want's to have it like the real deal.
Also the new Rockingham track and the Scirocco will be implemented.

In my league (absolute-beginners.nl) we don't have less drivers and most of them are newcomers, who just bought the game. Every week we have 15-25 racers at the starting grid.

We get about 5 new members every week, so LFS is surely not dying.
I love you how you say people will play the new track for a week or two and then stop. Errm, dude, people have been playing the same set of tracks for YEARS now. No new piece of content will get played for just a week or two. For crying out loud....
Quote from col :This is a very good point. In a true simulation of motor racing with pickup racing and no structured hierarchy, only the more talented or very hard working drivers will have much chance of winning.

Newbies and folks with full time jobs or other similar commitments are going to be at a disadvantage compared with layabout students and schoolchildren .

I haven't played for a long time because I currently don't have a PC. I used to be pretty fast - no alien - but I usually had a chance. Last time I made a 'comeback', I was vote banned from a few servers "too fast, don't recognise the name, must be a cheat" seemed to be the reasoning, or it might have just been vindictive - "he's winning, so lets ban him". That's the flip-side of the frustration you describe.

The only time this problem of ability levels was sorted was when the CTRA was in action. IMO the Devs really will have to work on this side of things a bit harder. Maybe it's something Victor could work on as an expansion of the website side of things ?. CTRA really did turn a great sim into a great gaming experience for people at all levels.

LFS needs a CTRA style tiered competition system to give everyone a better experience, and it has to be official for it to work long term. We all know that a lot of people have stopped playing LFS. I think that for many it's not because of any weakness in the sim, or lack of content, but because CTRA closed, and it's never been the same since that day !

Col

Couldn't agree more with the CTRA bit. I still miss the CTRA days and it's got to be a few years ago. Personally, I wouldn't have minded paying a small fee per race to help with the admin. Would have thought it could have been set up with a similar system to the high res skins one. I've been racing on Netkar quite a bit but there's not much online activity. Had a couple of races on LFS last week and the cars felt a bit "numb" compared to Netkar and a screen plastered in brightly coloured text didn't add to the sim feel. Still keeping my fingers crossed that the Devs come up trumps.
Quote from col :

Col

http://www.spdoracing.com/eventdb/ (hm looks to be down atm)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG