The online racing simulator
VTEC Program
(43 posts, started )
Quote from Rhama :Am working on a vtec like tweak from time to time. It acts on both sound and torque. Its now stable enough to have a public proto released
You can find it on my forum, I won't post link here, look for me online or follow clues here and there to get it.
Attached is dyno graph made with 20% restricted XFG, as vtec proto adds 20% torque atm

Interesting approach, am I correct assuming that you add 20 % to the intake restriction and then remove it using memory hacking? Might I ask how do you get the power curves? I doubt that my idea of calculating force from acceleration obtained for OutSim and then converting it to power would produce such nice smooth curves...
Edit: Removed the link due to Rhama's post.
It's ridiculous to admire such simple variable valve timing in a performance vehicle. It doesn't improve the performance of the engine at higher RPM's, it just ruins it at lower RPM's as clearly shown in the dyno curve above.
Quote from Rhama :...

I see. It's been suggested that limiting the throttle value to say 85 % under the RPM trigger point would do the job too. I didn't test it myself, but I guess it would be a viable alternative approach allowed for online use. I believe the code I have from my previous work could be easily modified to work in that way...

Your reverse engineering is most impressive, I usually get lost pretty fast when I attempt to locate values in memory of application as complex as LFS

BTW, I might be misinterpreting the ASM snippet, but couldn't the first 4 lines be replaced by a simple

mov eax, [00xxxxx]
mov eax, [eax + 148]

?
-> Forbin

Simplicity can be a quality.

Due to it's simplicity, VTEC is very reliable. And well, it wouldn't be economical to run the sharper cams all trough the rev range. The lower revs are for cruising.

And frankly: The increase in torque and power and the sound is what makes for the VTEC experience. If you want a light engine, VTEC is your choice.
Quote from Mr. Apex :-> Forbin

Simplicity can be a quality.

Due to it's simplicity, VTEC is very reliable. And well, it wouldn't be economical to run the sharper cams all trough the rev range. The lower revs are for cruising.

And frankly: The increase in torque and power and the sound is what makes for the VTEC experience. If you want a light engine, VTEC is your choice.

You just reiterated what I said. It's not a performance feature but a fuel economy feature.
If it makes you happy.

What kind of variable valve timing do you like better than VTEC, then?
Porsches system is nice, tensioners both in front and behind the cam belt to swing timing. Anyway, they all suck, 2 strokes rule
2 strokes stinks! ;-)
A minor drawback, experts are working on it and promise a solution will be found any day now. Maybe worth trying to make a 2 stroke sound before the rush starts, a tom cat undergoing castration would be a good starting point
If you're going to stray that far offtopic, I'll accept your challenge and post the Hüttlin Kugelmotor:

Now that's the future.
Ye gods, what the hell is that thing?? Doesn't exactly conform to the KISS principle and if its only intended for single speed use as a generator I can't see it doing much a turbine doesnt do.

There actually was a 2 stroke perfect for the same job (efficient generator) called the Petter Harmonic, used exhaust and intake resonance instead of crankcase compression or forced induction. Didn't use oil (wet crank) and only ran at a very narrow rev range but there was an engine in the USA using the same principle and between them they made it impossible for the system to ever be used commercially due to patent issues.

I was trying to get back on topic, really I was but the camshaft got replaced by cats balls somehow and then again by ball shaped engines.... oh well.
I can now tell you have a certain fascination for two-stroke engines. Sorry to tell you this, but the spherical engine is a four-stroke-engine. It is not single-speed, but I dunno about the rev-range. Not sure if it revs all that high. But concerning the KISS-principle:
  • 70% less parts than a nowadays 4-stroke engine (can be built in 90 minutes)
  • 30% lighter than a nowadays 4-stroke engine
  • 25% more effective
  • has no crankshafts, connecting rods, cam shafts nor valve timing
Well, I just realize it can't have VTEC. Must sound like rubbish, then!

Backontopic: Ever since those mighty mad scientist overlords here moved their discussion to PM I wonder where to find this VTEC mod that increases torque …
Think it restricted to 80% power up to the vtec start revs, then gave full power after.
Nope. Rhama said the thing he wrote increases power at a certain RPM.

P.S.: By the way … not turbine-like at all

And hum, I googled Petter Harmonic and came across this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmgckkPnKlg

But I must admit that it is NOT my favoured kind of exhaust note …
Lol, doesn't exactly set the blood racing The principle is nice and would cost a fraction of the equivalent output 4 stroke.

The spherical engine is interesting but if its being used as a generator a turbine may be more efficient, a few cars are running with them like Jaguar's C-X75.

The valving could be an issue, various types of rotary valve 4 strokes have been tried over the years and valve sealing has always been a problem, last I saws ceramic seals where working ok but hadn't had to suffer 150000k without an oil change It could easily have a VTEC type system by varying the port timing, no use at all for fixed speed running though.

For the LFS VTEC hack, my mistake, he has it working by modifying values for running code in system memory so could give a car as many horsepower as the memory allocated to the value can accept. It would likely be spotted immediately on a live server but must have taken a lot of work, nice one.

EDIT: Another car using a turbine, the Capstone CMT-380
Yeah, the turbine & electric Jag is awesome!
Too bad they don't build it like it was planned.

Got NTO running like a breeze now, only the vtec thing with torque increase keeps crashing on me, but will keep trying …
yeah not so much hp but the feeling the the second gear wheel hop its diferent from a v8 i love that

Quote from Forbin :You just reiterated what I said. It's not a performance feature but a fuel economy feature.

VTEC Program
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG