The online racing simulator
City mod/map with cars
(52 posts, started )
City mod/map with cars
#2 - ajp71
Looks like NFS meets Midtown Maddness. As the devs have explained before this is not possible because LFS has to have a circuit due to its rendering engine.
ya i know, but still it would be pretty cool
#4 - joen
#5 - ajp71
Quote from lmao2times :ya i know, but still it would be pretty cool

Firstly this should be in improvment suggestions, secondly I've just explained to you why there is no point in suggesting this.
Quote from ajp71 :Looks like NFS meets Midtown Maddness.

Heh. Yup.
Still waiting for some kind of "Microsoft Car Simulator" with a completely free world.
And what a heck does that FO8 at WE part do there? Crappy driving I must say. My uncle did better than that, with the old physics and he had never played a computer game. But it wasn't a pretty sight
Quote from ajp71 :Looks like NFS meets Midtown Maddness. As the devs have explained before this is not possible because LFS has to have a circuit due to its rendering engine.

where have the devs stated that?
Lots of places in the past. The LFS engine cannot do multiple paths as the render engine looks ahead and behind. On that basis I think the autocross arena is just a very wide bit of track, rather than a free roam area per se.
I think autocross is just small enough to split it up in LOD parts, but not big enough to really make it forget parts you are far away from. Wich a city, would be...

About the path, the parts the sim forgets, are being generated again using a certain path, so it only renders the road near you. So it knows when to load what parts, because you are following the path it knows. In a city you can't set a path, so the engine wouldn't know what part to load up next.
Quote from sil3ntwar :where have the devs stated that?

No I made that statement about the game in the video
Regardless of whether LFS could actually generate a free-roam city with traffic, I fail to see how it would actually be an improvement. If I want a city with traffic, there's always NFS or GTA (plus you can kill people in GTA - beats pressing [1] if you've got road rage ).
Quote from tristancliffe :Lots of places in the past. The LFS engine cannot do multiple paths as the render engine looks ahead and behind. On that basis I think the autocross arena is just a very wide bit of track, rather than a free roam area per se.

so they've stated that in lots of places? Yet i've never seen anyone but people on the forums say that.

Look at the autocross arena. You can get to the skidpad and a go kart track from there by driving through the big building. LFS will render whatever Eric builds and whatever we can see. If the autocross arena was to have a few buildings thrown into the middle of it would LFS stop working? I highly doubt it.

Look at my screenshot below of southcity. If the black part were track and created a shortcut for that corner would LFS stop rendering? Again i highly doubt it.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4029/whynot9sj.jpg

If anything LFS wouldnt be able to do AI across multiple paths. Which is what im guessing one of the devs has said.

I've seen several times people posting the "LFS cant render a city" statement but until someone quotes it from a dev or a dev posts im going to disagree.
Quote from lmao2times :ya i know, but still it would be pretty cool

If you know, then why did you suggest it?

Quote from sil3ntwar :so they've stated that in lots of places? Yet i've never seen anyone but people on the forums say that.

Scawen himself said it on RSC.
yes scawen did say that. i reckon its something to do with multiple track paths etc that it can't handle. autox is just a big open slab with not much detail so im not sure if that can be compared
i will put these up to tease you though

Quote from sil3ntwar :
I've seen several times people posting the "LFS cant render a city" statement but until someone quotes it from a dev or a dev posts im going to disagree.

Well use the search button and look back, I've seen the devs post a lengthy explination several times before but I can't be bothered to find it for you.
Quote from MAGGOT :Scawen himself said it on RSC.

ah thanks the one place on the internet where you cant actually search
Quote from deggis :Still waiting for some kind of "Microsoft Car Simulator" with a completely free world.

that seriously would be the greatest game ever (no sarcasm intended)
IMO, want a game where you can test drive around the city, and use some very quick machinary, Play Midnight Club 3. Now, please don't flame me but I just like the game for some tuning purposes, although, I am now more into Forza and the feel of speed. Its a really fun game, its complete arcade but at least you can go at 180+ MPH on highways and city roads .
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :i will put these up to tease you though

I've been to all those places.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I've been to all those places.

I haven't but here's hoping for S3

City mod/map with cars
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG