The online racing simulator
Technology's Role in Racing
(15 posts, started )
Of course being a NASCAR fan I come at it from a NASCAR perspective, but what role do you think that technology should play in racing?

http://www.nascar.com/news/120 ... logical-forces/index.html

I have to say that I agree with Gordon (for once). I'm courious on the opinions that everybody else has coming from the different areas of racing and the world.
#2 - JJ72
less tech = spectacle, heroism, hairy chestness, relevance to common joe's motoring.

More tech = automotive development relevance, precision, sophistication, excellence.

Each has their own role and marketing value, both has to be co-existent.

co-existence in a grand scheme is what I meant, each series will has their own balance and focus.
There are some videos about th ... ves the quality of racing. I'm not so sure whether that is so simple.

Of course with a car that is easier to drive you will have more drivers fighting for the win because easier car means the more skilled drivers do not have such big adventage over the less skilled drivers. Where there once were maybe half a second to gain in one corner there is now just 0.2s to gain because with easier car it is easier to get closer to the best performance.

What imho improves the quality of racing is mostly longer braking distances which in turn means less grippy tires and less downforce. And of course the equality of equipment. At least theoretical equality! But that is just one part of the quality. Racing wheel to wheel and the overtaking and defending are not all what the quality of racing should mean.

So depending how the quality of racing is defined then surely the route v8 supercars are taking (making the cars easier to drive) should work for creating closer racing. And in the end those goals are achieved by making the cars more technically advanced. But there are other factors as well.

With nascar one of the big aspect about the quality of racing is the development and changing nature of the cars during the race. If the cars were easy to drive and setup (=more technically advanced with more downforce, telemetry, more grip and better suspension and drivetrain among other things) then the show would suffer because the circuits are so simple. The room for skill to be the differentiator would be a lot smaller which would take away 90% of the race. With the way the car handling changed during the race gives me for example something to watch during the races. Without that aspect all that there was left is the purposeful wrecking and the last 5 laps to get excited or annoyed about . Indynascart anyone?

With the v8supercars the development of the car during the race was never really such a big factor. Sure the tirewear and brakes wear but it was not something you could do much about because lack of trillion pitstops. In nascar they have the opportunity and time to change things and this is also visible in the broadcasts. So in that sense adding technology or improving tech in v8 does not or could not hurt the show but in nascar it would hurt the show.

I think it is also worth remembering that F1 is not just about high tech but also about car development. The tech spectable about F1 for example is not just about how high the engines rev, how many springs and dampers there are in the suspension and how delicate the aero is. It is also about the development race from start to finish. The delicate differences between the cars we can see with our own eyes. The gadgets the teams invent and put on the cars, the different approaches to making the car faster and the development race to figure out how to make the car faster. And to see that happen just within one weekend. Of course F1 is very different in that every team makes their own cars while in most other series you buy the cars from someone else.

Surely adding tech to F1 would not make the racing closer but I doubt it would improve the spectacle either. Simply because the cars and the development processes are already very high tech and as such the line where adding tech makes the cars easier to drive and creates closer racing has been crossed long time ago. Of course in F1 the technical freedom does improve the show in the sense it allows teams to build those gadgets that make F1 interesting but at the same time it reduces the close racing. Which in turn means we get stupid artificial balancing factors like drs to artificially improve the show while the absolute true fans of real harddd racing like myself are left to gouge their eyes out with the remote.

Of course the single thing common in F1, nascar and v8supercars is the tires. Either being undertired or just the tires being sensitive improves the quality of racing the most. Obviously a better performing tire means higher tech but worse tires tend to make better show. So I'd say the tires are the most important factor that defines the quality of racing. So in that sense higher tech cars alone does not mean much. Of course lower tech adds a nice touch of flamboyancy, crudeness and image of bravery to the sport while higher tech usually means sophistication, precision and neatness. So the lower tech the tires are the better the racing.

I'm not even going to mention costs in this post. Just about everywhere when you read some tech article about F1 there is always the mention of costs. It's expensive, I get it!
Depends what the series is about and what that technology is.

If the series is a character/competitor based entertainment series like Nascar then unless the technology actively reduces cost and complication than it's totally and utter pointless.

If the series is one that rewards technical excellence then it should be encouraged.

however where sports like F1 get in the shit is it's presented as

1. Driver based entertainment motorsport

when in reality it is

2. Engineer based technological sport.

So it's all a bit complex to find workable solution because motorsport is so diverse and complicated. You have spectator based motorsports F1/BTCC/NASCAR and then have competitor based motorsports like karting etc... How anyone can figure out how to meet the demands of those involved I do not know.
I think it's a shame when a premier series (F1, MotoGP, etc.) limits technological advancement.

Overall, I think FIM has a pretty good system now. In Moto2, they have spec engines and spec ECU's and prototype frames to let talent rise to the top without too much influence from engineering dominance. This results in some pretty good racing. Then in MotoGP, they let the teams go nuts, with the best rider they can find, on the best bike they can build. This results in astonishing displays of engineering and riding skill, and does not necessarily preclude good racing. Spec tires kinda limit what they can do, though, unfortunately.
Quote from Forbin :I think it's a shame when a premier series (F1, MotoGP, etc.) limits technological advancement.

Overall, I think FIM has a pretty good system now. In Moto2, they have spec engines and spec ECU's and prototype frames to let talent rise to the top without too much influence from engineering dominance. Then in MotoGP, they let the teams go nuts, with the best rider they can find, on the best bike they can build. Spec tires kinda limit what they can do, though, unfortunately.

Just on that point.

hernandaz has pulled out of his CRT project because of lack of funds and other riders are in the same boat. MotoGP is on the same slippery slope as f1
#7 - JJ72
Quote from Intrepid :however where sports like F1 get in the shit is it's presented as

1. Driver based entertainment motorsport

when in reality it is

2. Engineer based technological sport.

I think It's both actually, just the driver performance is at a level where speed isn't the only arsenal, but also strategy, technical understanding, commercial prowess and politics.

Afterall a racing driver performs most of the time off the race track.
#8 - Bean0
Technology also has played a large role in the performance of the drivers over the past couple of decades.

No longer do we have 'playboys' who spend the nights drinking and entertaining young women of ill repute. Diet, lifestyle, fitness etc are a lot more closely examined to extract a bit extra.

Technology improvements in safety equipment speak for themselves.
Technology in motorsports is important, huge advances have been made in automotive tech due to it and it can only improve further. However, it kills any motorsport it becomes a major part of and we end up with 'push to pass' systems just to get some action back.

I don't see this as an error in technology or in motorsports but in promotion, there are plenty of balls out mad ba$tard sports where the guy (or gal) with the biggest tackle wins and the crowds are on the edge of their seats from start to finish. The internet is taking power away from the promoters, after seeing a youtube clip of Russian tractor racing I'm more likely to get on a plane to see that live than buy an extortionately priced ticket to watch F1 cars go around and around.

Tech has its place and does good things but I don't believe it will ever give better action than pure unassisted balls and adrenaline.
Quote from stan.distortion :Technology in motorsports is important, huge advances have been made in automotive tech due to it and it can only improve further. However, it kills any motorsport it becomes a major part of and we end up with 'push to pass' systems just to get some action back.

Technology to solve the problem of technology! Huzzah!
Less wings, more ground effect, problem solved, move on.
Well look at WRC, lot of engineer an tech but still heroism and still driver skills plays a lot when you see that a wrong tyre choice cost 50s in one stage and that Loeb manage to win MC with a big gap an Ogier was in 5th ahead of many WRC with its S2000.

In race track ofc datas analysis kills the difference between a driver that was feeling the car like senna or prost, but that didn't kills entertaining. Should be the contrary btw because drivers have engineer to solve their lack of feeling. Then ofc it kills pure racing because it is easier but then high df can be a problem but there is a solution, stop building track that are only about df. People always say that it is hard to overtake in f1, well look at old good track as Spa. Driver are always overtaking there! And without drs! So maybe the problem isn't the car tech but track design...(btw same in Le Mans, a lmp have much more df than a f1 due to its ground surface, but Peugeot and Audi have made such a fight, with some move in mulsanne straight but in tight Porsche turn complex aswell).
The problem with overtaking isnt technology but the ratio of aerodynamic to mechanical grip. Limit downforce and all you do is shift the aero development to drag.

Technology is the result of investment, and investment is the result of poor results + financial capacity.

The only two ways to limit technology are to limit human genius by specifying the technology available, or to limit capital investment so that the technology is not developed.

F1 realised this when they tried to impose the budget cap, and I think they proved that it doesnt work. That all you do is raise the cost by forcing teams to hire genius accountants.

If you are not specifying the technology that may be used the solution is not to limit aerodynamics, instead, you must increase the available mechanical grip. This in turn raises cornering speeds which results in the need for smaller engines which in turn improves the mechanical grip to aerodynamic grip ratio.

In short, fatter tyres and smaller engines and problem solved.
Quote from Becky Rose :If you are not specifying the technology that may be used the solution is not to limit aerodynamics, instead, you must increase the available mechanical grip. This in turn raises cornering speeds which results in the need for smaller engines which in turn improves the mechanical grip to aerodynamic grip ratio.

In short, fatter tyres and smaller engines and problem solved.

But only lateral grip, not longitudinal. Longer braking zones and lots of wheelspin = better
Quote from J@tko :But only lateral grip, not longitudinal. Longer braking zones and lots of wheelspin = better

I have to agree. It's common sense really if you think about it.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG