The online racing simulator
LFS For Mac?
(142 posts, started )

Poll : Windows For Mac?

No!Why?
Yes
Maybe
Quote from tommer :
Sure, if you're the shallow kind of person who likes shiny objects that give you a false sense of social status, it is perfect. But I've yet to hear one genuine good feature about a Mac other than 'it's shiny'.

Ehm...
- The MacOS X is the only 100 % user-friendly UNIX-based OS? That's something an IT professional might find really useful.
- The OS is specifically tweaked to work with the HW found in Macs meaning better battery life, instant sleeping/resuming, no hassle with the drivers
- Quality of the displays found in MacBooks
- Lots of other little things you'd learn just by reading this thread

I'm not advocating Macs, I just consider this anti-Apple movement petty and stupid. If you don't like Macs, then don't buy any and stop coming off as such a douche...
just to share a little thing about mac and me coz it was funny than i got mad.very.: i have never used mac in my life than 1 day i was at a house watching a dog.of course rich people they have to have mac and apple stuff. anyway.i wanted to copy my pictures i just took with the camera onto the mac,well that took me about 15 minutes to figure out where did it put the files,than an other 30 minutes to figure out how to delete them. This was very much enough for me of macs. But they had COD on it so i guess it plays games too
Quote from e2mustang :just to share a little thing about mac and me coz it was funny than i got mad.very.: i have never used mac in my life than 1 day i was at a house watching a dog.of course rich people they have to have mac and apple stuff. anyway.i wanted to copy my pictures i just took with the camera onto the mac,well that took me about 15 minutes to figure out where did it put the files,than an other 30 minutes to figure out how to delete them. This was very much enough for me of macs. But they had COD on it so i guess it plays games too

Took me a whole day to get photo's from an iPad to my PC. A crappy filesharing app had to be bought to do it. Pathetic.
no, because mac's are a waste of time imo, 99% of the world use PC's
Quote from tommer :
Quote from Matrixi :

They are about the entire user experience as a whole; hardware and software designed to work together. It took me years to figure them out, as I used to hate everything Apple made when I was young. <- pay attention to this bit

Part of User Experience is Usability. You've just contradicted yourself by telling us it took you years to figure out how to use a Mac, which indicates a failure in usability, possibly counter intuitive features such as a lack of a right click?

Just to clarify, so you don't try to take what I write out of context that you so much like to do: I didn't mean it took me years to figure out the usability. It took me years to figure out what their purpose and meaning was. Perhaps you'll figure it out too when you grow up mentally.

Ps. I had a 10v hackintosh too, and it was utterly useless shit with it's crappy screen, pathetic netbook CPU/GPU and a tiny keyboard/trackpad.
Quote from Matrixi :It took me years to figure out what their purpose and meaning was.

It only takes a few minutes for normal people.

trololol
#82 - Jakg
Quote from tommer :But I've yet to hear one genuine good feature about a Mac other than 'it's shiny'.

Then maybe you should re-read the posts in this thread...
Quote from MadCatX :E- The MacOS X is the only 100 % user-friendly UNIX-based OS?

It's as UNIX based as Windows w/ SUA.
Quote from MadCatX :- Quality of the displays found in MacBooks

Lol no. They don't compare to recent ThinkPad X'es.
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
Quote from E.Reiljans :It's as UNIX based as Windows w/ SUA.

It most certainly is not.
Quote from E.Reiljans :
Lol no. They don't compare to recent ThinkPad X'es.

Considering the Thinkpad Xes cost about as much as comparable Macbooks, how is that surprising?
Quote from MadCatX :It most certainly is not.

Have you tried SUA in first place? It even supports emerge (and then basically you can install anything Gentoo repositories have to offer in it).
Quote from MadCatX :Considering the Thinkpad Xes cost about as much as comparable Macbooks, how is that surprising?

You mean half as much as comparable Macbooks, right?
Quote from MadCatX :It most certainly is not.

Considering the Thinkpad Xes cost about as much as comparable Macbooks, how is that surprising?

Not here. And it's faster, not made by Apple and it runs a proper OS. Enough reason to get that.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Have you tried SUA in first place? It even supports emerge (and then basically you can install anything Gentoo repositories have to offer in it).

I have no use for SUA so I'm relying on referenced and documentation. SUA appears to be yet another UNIX implementation with its own specifics. I can't imagine it being useful for a corporate grade applications and the interprocess communication could be a nightmare. Where Windows uses named pipes, UNIX uses domain sockets, where Windows call SharedMemory(), UNIX uses mmap(), I certainly wouldn't want to debug anything mixing these together.

Quote from E.Reiljans :
You mean half as much as comparable Macbooks, right?

Quote from Bose321 :Not here. And it's faster, not made by Apple and it runs a proper OS. Enough reason to get that.

Perhaps the Xes are a bit overpriced here, but even the prices on newegg.com don't seem to favor the Thinkpads much. Just BTW, what exactly is a definition of a "proper OS"?
I vote yes but I don't think that it's not top of the "things to do" list.

Ask me this question the same time last year (or a few months ago) and I would have said no.

Just after new year I bought my iMac (first mac) and I loved it. Heck you can play lfs on it with wine but it would be nice to not need that. Just on Friday I just bought a mbp to replace my crappy HP laptop that's made life hell over te last year. Apple and OSX just makes everything easy. Like as everythings syncs nice and easy. I.e I buy a song on my iPhone and then it will appear on my iPad and mac. It's just such a smooth OS and it's exclusive as you can't install it on your normal pc
Quote from MadCatX :Just BTW, what exactly is a definition of a "proper OS"?

Going by the fact that user is always right, something that has highest market share. Definitely not GNU/Loonix.
Highest market share where? Are we talking desktops(~5 % *NIX), servers(50+ % *NIX), scientific mainframes(100 % *NIX)? I agree that the user is always right which kind of relativizes the definition of "proper OS". If anything, it should be "what I consider a proper OS".
Quote from MadCatX :Just BTW, what exactly is a definition of a "proper OS"?

Windows.
Quote from tbofram :It's just such a smooth OS and it's exclusive as you can't install it on your normal pc

Wait, wat?

You can install OSX on your PC just fine, why wouldn't you? Your macthingy is having normal PC hardware. How is it exclusive as none wants it?

I don't see what's so easy about 'syncing' easily with an iPhone, you always need to use the bloated iTunes whereas a proper/normal phone or tablet doesn't need any 3rd-party crappy program to put/read files on/from it.
Quote from MadCatX :Highest market share where? Are we talking desktops(~5 % *NIX), servers(50+ % *NIX), scientific mainframes(100 % *NIX)? I agree that the user is always right which kind of relativizes the definition of "proper OS". If anything, it should be "what I consider a proper OS".

99,99% of the everyday user doesn't give a damn about what OS anything other then a desktop/laptop/tablet runs, so please use such irrelevant examples.
Quote from Bose321 :Windows.

Windows is not a definition but an OS family. I know it sounds like nitpicking, but just because Windows runs on 90 % of desktops doesn't make it "proper" in any way.
Quote from Bose321 :
You can install OSX on your PC just fine, why wouldn't you? Your macthingy is having normal PC hardware. How is it exclusive as none wants it?

It's not as easy as you might think. I tried it once in VirtualBox (which should actually be a better shot that an actual PC) and I wasn't particularly excited by the stability or performance because the drivers for non-Mac x86 hardware are of very variable quality to say the least.
Quote from Bose321 :
99,99% of the everyday user doesn't give a damn about what OS anything other then a desktop/laptop/tablet runs, so please use such irrelevant examples.

E. Reiljans mentioned market share so I wanted to establish what kind of market he was talking about... What does the market share has to do with what OS is the right one for a particular user?
Quote from MadCatX :- The MacOS X is the only 100 % user-friendly UNIX-based OS? That's something an IT professional might find really useful.

Ehm...BS?

If RedHat/Debian/Slackware/Mandriva/(any other distro you prefer) were selling the hardware with their distro pre-installed, those too would be 100% user friendly. And since they're not, they're doing a pretty damn good job at being user friendly just as they are.

I don't consider my self exactly a pro, although I am an sysadmin by profession, but I never really had any major problems with *BSD or Slackware or it's KISS principles.

Quote from MadCatX :- The OS is specifically tweaked to work with the HW found in Macs meaning better battery life, instant sleeping/resuming, no hassle with the drivers

Read above.

Quote from MadCatX :- Quality of the displays found in MacBooks

Because we're all using our laptops outside in the brightest sun and tend to be upside-down in a weird angle while using our computers and this is very important to us.

In my eyes, 3 weak arguments on why I should buy a piece of hardware at 1.5x the price.

Quote from MadCatX :- Lots of other little things you'd learn just by reading this thread

tl;dr
It's just a typical Mac vs PC thread as it seems, but since you started bashing my beloved unix-based linux, I had to stop by.
Quote from xfirestorm :but I never really had any major problems with *BSD or Slackware or it's KISS principles.

Does Slackware even has a package manager w/ central repository support?
Don't take this the wrong way, I've been using Linux on desktops, laptops and servers for about 5 years and it's been doing an outstanding job for me. However, just because it works for me doesn't mean it has to work for everyone, right?
Quote from xfirestorm :Ehm...BS?

If RedHat/Debian/Slackware/Mandriva/(any other distro you prefer) were selling the hardware with their distro pre-installed, those too would be 100% user friendly. And since they're not, they're doing a pretty damn good job at being user friendly just as they are.

I don't consider my self exactly a pro, although I am an sysadmin by profession, but I never really had any major problems with *BSD or Slackware or it's KISS principles.

That's probably right, but hardware compatibility doesn't imply user friendliness. We surely could take this discussion to the next level and argue what the "user friendliness" actually is. Where I consider Windows getting in the way, others may think it helps them figure out what's wrong and how to get things fixed.
Quote from xfirestorm :
Read above.

Because we're all using our laptops outside in the brightest sun and tend to be upside-down in a weird angle while using our computers and this is very important to us.

In my eyes, 3 weak arguments on why I should buy a piece of hardware at 1.5x the price.

Weak for you, somebody else might find them good enough to get a Mac.

Quote from xfirestorm :
tl;dr
It's just a typical Mac vs PC thread as it seems, but since you started bashing my beloved unix-based linux, I had to stop by.

Well, yeah, every Mac X PC thread always ends up like this because people fail to understand that there is no one right way to do things and therefore no one right software - this is the point I've been trying to raise all along but nobody seemed to get it...
Quote :Does Slackware even has a package manager w/ central repository support?

Lol, does microsoft? Slackware has its own way of doing things and its own group of users who like it the way it is, it would be as irrelevant to point out linux from scratch has no central repository.
Quote :99,99% of the everyday user doesn't give a damn about what OS anything other then a desktop/laptop/tablet runs, so please use such irrelevant examples.

Android has pretty much taken over the single user operating system market. Desktop OS's (including default linux distros) are huge great bloated things capable of serving up everything but the kitchen sink to hundreds of users simultaneously. Most are quite efficient and manage resources well but its hard or impossible to strip them down to the bare minimum for console like performance.
Quote from stan.distortion :Lol, does microsoft?

Yes, it's called Windows Update.
Does windows update get the latest version of firefox these days? Does it even take care of 3rd party drivers for you?
Quote from stan.distortion :Does windows update get the latest version of firefox these days?

Does any Loonix's package manager get the latest version of software you have ./configure && make && make install'ed?
Quote from stan.distortion :Does it even take care of 3rd party drivers for you?

Yes.
Quote from stan.distortion :Android has pretty much taken over the single user operating system market.

I don't think so.
Quote :Does any Loonix's package manager get the latest version of software you have ./configure && make && make install'ed?

Yes, gentoo for example. It does the ./configure && make && make install part for you too.

Maybe something more recent, android uptake being a recent thing and all:
http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/ ... hed-2011-with-resurgence/
iPhone still ahead for now but no denying where that line is going now the christmas rush is over and not even a trace of microsoft there. If there is ever a mobile version of LFS we might get a thread like this asking for a windows moblie port, a 'mac for windows' poll and lots of 'everyone uses iOS/android, why would they waste time porting to something only fools use?' posts.

LFS For Mac?
(142 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG