The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Oh Jack...

It's nice to take care of ones car isn't
Love how my EGR was mapped out.
Pretty clean in there tbh now. Use BP Ultimate helps as well.
Quote from Dmt :Are those hids or not? coz they look so ugly, fake xenons.

Since it's dan's car, they are probably fake.
Quote from Jakg :On a related note, cleaned out my inlet manifold the other day...

Although it doesn't look that bad, the inside was disgusting with all the soot / crap / shit the EGR has been pumping in there.

It'd also covered the MAP sensor in a layer of well... crap.

Took it for a drive, and she was very *very* smokey (even turned some of the gravel on my drive black!) for a little bit (guessing all the stuff I'd loosened being burnt off), but now seems ok - car seems to hold the boost a lot better towards the top of the rev range now though.

2 days later my hands still aren't clean!

EGR valves are a hateful invention - I'm sure they help with emissions, but I can't possible believe coating the engine with crud can possibly be good long term.

I hope you didn't touch the MAF with anything. It is a very delicate bit of gold, which breaks easily.

Also, I hope you replaced the gasket on your inlet.

Also, I though you got a blanking plate for your EGR dark ages ago?

Also, you drive a derv, it will get dirty without an EGR. But the reason it is there is quite important, forget emissions, that is a by-product. It was invented to inject hot air into the engine, this warms it up faster. Far superior to running it rich. But it should only be used to warm up the engine and nothing else.
Your last point would explain why it takes ages for my engine to warm up. This morning I drove 12miles at 50-60mph and my car still wasn't at 90 degrees!! my thermostat is fine by the way. diesels are just so amazingly efficient and better than petrols at everything.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :
Also, I though you got a blanking plate for your EGR dark ages ago?

Also, you drive a derv, it will get dirty without an EGR. But the reason it is there is quite important, forget emissions, that is a by-product. It was invented to inject hot air into the engine, this warms it up faster. Far superior to running it rich. But it should only be used to warm up the engine and nothing else.

although i blanked off the EGR i still had all the residual crap in the inlet from before

in the last 30k my EGR bypass has nothing but a thin coating of oil - no crud etc

And i still have my preheater for when its cold..
Quote from Dmt :Are those hids or not? coz they look so ugly, fake xenons.

LED sidelights iirc
Quote from Jakg :
LED sidelights iirc

Yep, and crappy iphone 3gs camera, even 1 single candle would look like a 500w halogen bulb in the dark with that thing.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :
Also, I hope you replaced the gasket on your inlet.

And no, I did not... Haynes recommended I did, so I looked on eBay - couldn't find any.

It doesn't have a gasket per se, it has an O-Ring around each port (there are 8) and then one for the inlet itself.

(E46 ones, but they are virtually the same)

Looked on Rimmers, I'd need 4x £10.67 + 4x £11.17 + 1x £1.16 - I'm not going to spend £88 on 9 O-rings!

I cleaned them all up, they all look fine, none appear to be leaking, no marks etc, so I re-used them.

Nobody ever bothers changing them when they clean the EGR or do a swirl flap removal (on the E46) either...

If it was a proper gasket (and not stupidly expensive) I might of done...
All you really need to do with rubber O-rings that aren't too rooted is just to clean them and give them a quick grease or whatever.

at least you didn't have to buy heater core O-rings...
Quote from Jakg :And no, I did not... Haynes recommended I did, so I looked on eBay - couldn't find any.

Looked on Rimmers, I'd need 4x £10.67 + 4x £11.17 + 1x £1.16 - I'm not going to spend £88 on 9 O-rings!

------

How did you come up with £88? I get what you're saying though, for little shreds of rubber they aren't cheap and the cost always makes me tempted to turn a blind eye.

[edit: just realised you need 4 at 10 each. Are you sure that price is right? That is more than a headgasket kit.]
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :10.67
------

How did you come up with £88? I get what you're saying though, for little shreds of rubber they aren't cheap and the cost always makes me tempted to turn a blind eye.

[edit: just realised you need 4 at 10 each. Are you sure that price is right? That is more than a headgasket kit.]

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001728

4x #2
4x #3
1x #4

Depressingly expensive.
rimmerbros...

lol...
Managed to double my cars value by strapping my mtb to the rear!

wow that must be an expensive bike than !
Like the "Mr Plough" front splitter.. what's that off a nascar?
Quote from e2mustang :wow that must be an expensive bike than !

You can get a Mk1 for less than a grand, so not really
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Like the "Mr Plough" front splitter.. what's that off a nascar?

yes Dayytooonaaaa!
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You can get a Mk1 for less than a grand, so not really

im willing to take £400 for mine, only 3 months t&t left on it tho, plus it has a locked diff, hence the lower price.

The beema modding continues, i hated the big old mirrors it had, so after a quick click around i purchased a set of m3 mirrors for it, only £35 with the base plates, i werent happy with the black plastic finish on them tho so they have had 3 spray coats of glossy black, they look lovely, well, apart from the odd run, spraying isnt my strong point, nothing a bit of cutting compound cant sort out, got one fitted so far but then i ran out of light so i will fit the other side tomorrow.

I have also got a new set of rear springs to fit as the back of my car sits a fair bit lower than the front, plus one side is 22mm lower than the other, so i have either weak or broken ones, another job for tomorrow.
Springs don't really get "weak"...they can sag but you probably have a snapped one. Should have got coilovers.. go low or go home. :banana:
good price on teh mirroz
so yeah, today i went to a funeral ( may the guy rest in peace ) and on my way back home i was dropping off my frineds at their place.... when suddently i got stuck, with the a4 Quattro, in a 2feet deep parking spot and i was towed out of it by some jewish towing.
Quote from el pibe :so yeah, today i went to a funeral ( may the guy rest in peace ) and on my way back home i was dropping off my frineds at their place.... when suddently i got stuck, with the a4 Quattro, in a 2feet deep parking spot and i was towed out of it by some jewish towing.

I always said Quattro sucks. And it does!

/inb4haters lolol
Nice Miata dude ^^ I wanna get one when I finally have driving licence and money for it
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I always said Quattro sucks. And it does!

/inb4haters lolol

1st gen quattro with locking center and rear diffs isn't that bad. Only later quattros are useless.
4WD is just as useless as 2WD if your tires suck on snow and ice.

Hint hint:
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG