The online racing simulator
#1 - scipy
Cars consume fuel when ignition is off.
Was just testing FZR for something and noticed that killing the ignition while the car is moving (while keeping the throttle fully on) has no effect on fuel consumption. In fact, the car consumes fuel at the same rate as if it was doing actual work.

Agreed, this can be true with some carburetor engines which work on Venturi (as long as the throttle butterfly is open air is coming through and sucking in the fuel - even if the ignition is off), but surely modern racing cars have ECU's that turn off the injectors when there's no ignition.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've done some testing of my own and it's quite clear that the fuel consumption calculation is based only on the engine speed and throttle position. That's obviously a bug, but it's been already established that the fuel consumption in LFS needs some work.
unless the engines are carborated, then if the engine turns, fuel goes in but isnt burned, and goes out the exhaust
I don't think so, all modern cars have electric fuel pump which is not running when the engine is switched off. Even if the vacuum in the engine sucked some fuel it, it wouldn't definitely be as much. Plus as Scipy pointed out, all cars with electric fuel injection shouldn't use any fuel at all when the engine is off...
#5 - scipy
Quote from anbiddulph :unless the engines are carborated, then if the engine turns, fuel goes in but isnt burned, and goes out the exhaust

Yeah, that's what I meant under "venturi", that's the principle on which carburetors work.
Quote from MadCatX :I don't think so, all modern cars have electric fuel pump which is not running when the engine is switched off. Even if the vacuum in the engine sucked some fuel it, it wouldn't definitely be as much. Plus as Scipy pointed out, all cars with electric fuel injection shouldn't use any fuel at all when the engine is off...

lol, so Ambrose really looks stupid now seeing that stock cars will not be fuel injected until '13 or '12. (last year in Cali.)
Quote from MadCatX :I don't think so, all modern cars have electric fuel pump which is not running when the engine is switched off. Even if the vacuum in the engine sucked some fuel it, it wouldn't definitely be as much. Plus as Scipy pointed out, all cars with electric fuel injection shouldn't use any fuel at all when the engine is off...

If the engine has carbs, there will still be fuel in the float bowls that gets sucked into the engine.
No big deal then.. Will be fixed in the next patch. :doh:
Quote from scipy :Was just testing FZR for something and noticed that killing the ignition while the car is moving (while keeping the throttle fully on) has no effect on fuel consumption. In fact, the car consumes fuel at the same rate as if it was doing actual work.

Agreed, this can be true with some carburetor engines which work on Venturi (as long as the throttle butterfly is open air is coming through and sucking in the fuel - even if the ignition is off), but surely modern racing cars have ECU's that turn off the injectors when there's no ignition.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Youre not wrong, but I cant see the merit in correcting this bug. Its a racing sim, and killing the ignition whilst racing, and keeping your foot down, with the car in gear, for long enough for fuel consumption to be an issue, is simply never going to happen!
Quote from dynofiend :Youre not wrong, but I cant see the merit in correcting this bug. Its a racing sim, and killing the ignition whilst racing, and keeping your foot down, with the car in gear, for long enough for fuel consumption to be an issue, is simply never going to happen!

I would not have posted unless exactly the situation you've described came up. That's why I noticed the bug.
Quote from cargame.nl :No big deal then.. Will be fixed in the next patch. :doh:

mm next path, i am already waiting two years for physics update and that vw car Now another reason to wait more.. more
-
(Dennis93) DELETED by Dennis93

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG