The online racing simulator
New Comp... Opinions?
(13 posts, started )
New Comp... Opinions?
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
  • GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  • COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
  • AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM
  • Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
I do plan to upgrade to either 8 or 16 GB ram here in close future...
No SSD. You are out.
#4 - amp88
Have you considered building a system around an Intel 2500K CPU instead? There would be a bit of a price difference, but if you can spare the extra money (newegg.com has the 2500K @ $219.99 and the FX-6100 @ $159.99 just now) the increased performance is probably worth it. Try looking into some reviews and see for yourself if you think it's worth it.

edit: On the subject of the SSD upgrade: You may be better off getting a mid-range SSD just now (e.g. Crucial M4 128GB, but there are others in the same price range) and using your existing HDD for storage. There are a couple of reasons I suggest this. The first is that you'd get a big performance improvement from an SSD and the second is the inflated price of hard drives currently (because of the flooding in Thailand and subsequent supply problems). In the near-ish future (no-one seems to know for sure when...it could be 6 months or it could be a year) HDD prices should plummit from where they are currently (back to around where they were before the flooding) and you could get a 1TB+ capacity drive for the same price you'd pay for a 500GB drive now. See here for an example of the price hike I'm referencing. Here is the chart for the drive you reference in your original post.
problem is my harddrive on my old gaming rig died... gave what was left to my dad... and I'm getting a whole new rig ... But kinda of on a budget atm so...

On the Processor ... I have been researching processor for last month... from reviews and for the price... I'm gonna stick with the amd
I'd go with a 2500K too if I were you.

As for HDD, get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. They're like 50 euro (65 USD) over here and I believe no other 7200RPM HDD can beat it speedwise.
#7 - amp88
Quote from T3charmy :On the Processor ... I have been researching processor for last month... from reviews and for the price... I'm gonna stick with the amd

Would you mind me asking what reviews you came to that decision on? From what I've read on the new Bulldozer CPUs they've generally painted a disappointing picture of the AMD chips and recommended Intel counterparts instead. The fact that the 2500K (not the 2600K or 2700K, nevermind the new 3960X) beats the flagship Bulldozer chip (FX-8150) is very telling. Here is one such review from just a few days ago. There are countless more. If you're really on a very tight budget then I can understand going for the AMD, but if you can put together the extra money (either just now or in a few months time) you'd be worthwhile going the Intel route.

A quote from the conclusion of the above review:

Quote from Xbit Labs :Two months ago when we tested the top desktop Bulldozer processor, we concluded that it turned out a big disappointment. The results of our today’s FX series testing, including lower-cost CPU modifications, didn’t change out opinion.

Quote from Bose321 :As for HDD, get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. They're like 50 euro (65 USD) over here and I believe no other 7200RPM HDD can beat it speedwise.

Not at the moment (hence my comment about the hard drive prices above).
Quote from T3charmy : I'm gonna stick with the amd

If you want to stick with AMD then go to Phenom II X4 960.
Thuban inside so there is a possibilty to unlock the other 2 cores (and became Phenom II X6).

The FX really sucks. I have the FX-8150 and the Phenom II X6 1100T (and some others 'cause i work for the official distributor of AMD in Greece :tilt. FX-8150 is slower than 1100T almost everywhere (and of course at gaming).
ew, 4GB RAM as two 2GB sticks. Get single stick.
ew, Cooler Master PSU. Get something built by SeaSonic (Corsair AX-series, Antec HCG-series, most of XFX'es) or CWT (but only PSH II / DSG II), for example Corsair non-AX, few OCZ's etc
ew, Faildozer. Grab a i5-2500K instead.
ew, Failgate. Get a Samsung.

amp88: m4 is not mid-range, it's god-tier. Sandforce crap is full of bugs, freezes, data corruption etc.
Quote from E.Reiljans :amp88: m4 is not mid-range, it's god-tier. Sandforce crap is full of bugs, freezes, data corruption etc.

It's mid-range with regard to pricing and performance. Sure, it's a good drive but I'd rather have a 512GB Samsung 830 or Plextor PX-M3S if I had the money.
Quote from amp88 :It's mid-range with regard to pricing and performance. Sure, it's a good drive but I'd rather have a 512GB Samsung 830 or Plextor PX-M3S if I had the money.

Isn't M3S same thing as m4 anyways? :S
Quote from E.Reiljans :Isn't M3S same thing as m4 anyways? :S

The Plextor has a 5 year warranty (versus 3 years for the Crucial) and it uses the Toshiba 24nm NAND (versus the 25nm IMFT in the Crucual). They work out very similar in terms of performance, though, no doubt.

edit: Plextor PX-M3S Review and Crucial M4 Review.
But 24nm/25nm flash is actually worse than 34nm! :P

Plextor's M2S seem to be best value than both due to this.

New Comp... Opinions?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG