The online racing simulator
Is racing line set dependent?
(19 posts, started )
I was racing with FXR. First I used a set with minimum wings and long gear ratios. The brake points in the displayed racing line were conservative(early) due to the increased approach speed and lesser cornering ability I think. Then I used a set with more wings and shorter gear ratios. The brake points were more aggressive(late). Is the displayed racing line taking into account all the factors in the setup? like downforce, gear ratios etc. If that is the case, then it awesome. I just thought it adjusts line according to engine power/restrictions alone.
I belive its not, whatever set I use brakeing points are absolutely same. I think it will just adjust if you use restrictions, nothing else. Racing line is not there to tell you when to start brakeing/accelerating, but just to help you a bit in holding line...
Oh then how come it changed racing line(break points) for me when using different sets in same car? both sets have no handicaps. Both sets are standard FXR. Is it a bug? or an unintended feature ? :P
I tested on BF1@BL1

1.test
wings max, gear ratio set that my max speed is like 60kmph

2.test
wings min, optimum gear ratio

for me absolutely same thing, looking from top view, and even took screenshots for comparing...
I knew I could count on Daniel for this post Anyways I reproduced the bug. The steps are a bit different from my OP.

FXR @ AS5 GP chicane

1. First took FXR fresh. Saw brake point at GP chicane. It was late brake point, after turn in
2. Changed to XRR. GP chicane brake point seems to be same as FXR (this itself may be wrong)
3. Now changed again to FXR. Saw brake point at GP chicane. Brake point is much earlier, as if it was XRR(I think).

It seems like the change in brake point targetted at XRR happened when I changed back to FXR from XRR. As if there is a one step lag between changing cars and changing brake point/racing line.

See the attached pic.
1. Top half has fresh FXR with late brake points after 50 m mark of AS5 GP chicane
2. Bottom half has again FXR, but after changing to XRR and then changing back to FXR, with early brake points (probably that of XRR) much before the 50 m mark. In fact you see the brake point in the rear view mirror.

This could mean that the racing line/brake point shown is for the previous car we selected :O
Attached images
FXR_as5.JPG
who uses the braking points anyway?
Expected reply. For the record many do, I do, as a reference, and even many expert racers use it as a reference. And anyways its a feature so it has to work as expected hehee
Yeah, we can see pretty much difference. I think this is similar to bug reported before by me, noticed this before will changing cars at multiclass servers. However this doesnt happen every time, maybe somehow connected with lag
Ah ok! ya I hope it is freak case
The racing line is the line that the AI would use with that set. It is calculated by LFS, and will be different with each set. Some sets produce lines with very little difference so you won't notice it, while other can be noticeable.
-
(TFalke55) DELETED by TFalke55 : wrong thread :-p
Is it? Now it is all the more tricky. But in this case, I am wondering two things

1. Why the racing line was identical to FXR when I changed to XRR, but
2. Why the racing line changed drastically when I changed back to FXR

The change is so extreme that it is more than set changes
Its a known bug in lfs, leave lfs server/close lfs and relaunch and your fine.

Who uses racing line? Me. GTFO.
Oh ok, thanks
I've had problems with updating the line too when I change cars. Very annoying when racing an unfamiliar car online, and it shows you the line of a completely different car ^_^
lol ya and risky to emulate it too. Imagine driving RAC and it showing racline for UFB lol
Quote from rageshgr :Expected reply. For the record many do, I do, as a reference, and even many expert racers use it as a reference. And anyways its a feature so it has to work as expected hehee

Quote from Dennis93 :

Yes see Isaac's reply above. He for example, uses racing line as a reference. He is not the only one.

Also I quote

Quote from IsaacPrice :
@ Forbin I use racing line(can drive without it aswell tho, i no nub) and I know others do too who are fast. It doesn't make you slower to use it as a reference point, even if you don't actually brake at the red line or whatever.

I was pleasantly surprised to know that It is a matter of personal preference IMO. Ok make the "many" as "some" if you want
It gives you mostly Faul so called references, but every human for them selves.
Yea of course they are not perfect, but some kinda of reference, in case you are not very familiar with the car/track combo

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG