The online racing simulator
iPhone updating without iTunes?
(17 posts, started )
So I'm getting an iPhone soon, and I was wondering if it was possible to update the phone without iTunes installed? I really dislike it, and I know of several ways to sync the phone without it, but I want to be able to update the phone when new updates come out. Is this possible without some big long hacking process? I've come across one method, but it requires iTunes to be installed anyways, which completely defeats the purpose.
Hang on until iOS5 comes out. From then on you never need a PC; you can activate, update and even backup (via "The Cloud") without ever plugging it into a computer.

Until then, I don't believe you can do it without iTunes, certainly not without a crazy amount of hassle compared to a 2 minute download and a 5 minute install/setup process.
must admit i wasn't keen on the itunes idea but it is stupidly easy to keep everything upto date on your iphone with it and despite the scaremongers it doesn't try to take over your pc, far from it, in fact i wish it was a little bit more grabbing to save me linking folders to it.
Yeah, iTunes is almost reluctant to do what you want. It keeps itself to itself, and keeps track of updates and purchases.
Is it possible to update an iPhone on someone else's computer without losing all your data? I'm getting the phone within the next few days (so long as the provider stops jerking me around) because I can't wait for iOS5, my current phone is on its last legs (a plethora of problems... most annoying of which is that the 4 button doesn't work, which means I can't dial ANY number in toronto since all of our area codes have 4s in them, or send any texts containing the letters G, H or I). If I can just update the firmware on someone else's computer that has iTunes when iOS5 comes out then that'll work fine, I just won't update it until then. I'd imagine that will cause me to lose all my data, though?

What if that other computer is the only computer it ever gets synced to through iTunes, will it make a backup of it for me even if it's used for another phone as well, so I can keep all the settings/data/etc when it updates?
if it is a flip phone, just take the thing apart...I took mine apart to dry it out after water damage; easy as hell, and you might be able to fix the button...worth a shot i think.
Quote from MAGGOT :Is it possible to update an iPhone on someone else's computer without losing all your data? I'm getting the phone within the next few days (so long as the provider stops jerking me around) because I can't wait for iOS5, my current phone is on its last legs (a plethora of problems... most annoying of which is that the 4 button doesn't work, which means I can't dial ANY number in toronto since all of our area codes have 4s in them, or send any texts containing the letters G, H or I). If I can just update the firmware on someone else's computer that has iTunes when iOS5 comes out then that'll work fine, I just won't update it until then. I'd imagine that will cause me to lose all my data, though?

What if that other computer is the only computer it ever gets synced to through iTunes, will it make a backup of it for me even if it's used for another phone as well, so I can keep all the settings/data/etc when it updates?

I think you can back it up on any computer without losing most data, but I think songs would disappear. I think.

I have backed my phone up at work (even though it isn't my main iTunes computer) and upgraded software, but I had to go home to get everything back on it again.
I'm fine with losing the music, that's easy, it's just the aps and such that I don't want to lose from it if I update it on another's system. I guess it's worth a shot.
my brother updated his iphone on my pc which he had never used before but using itunes. He lost all his apps.
Damn.
Hooray for rehashing a thread!

So, I want to update to iOS5, but I'm going to backup what I can, first. What stuff will I lose in the update? (Keeping in mind I don't have iTunes on my computer, so the phone will lose any data after updating)

Do I need to back up my contacts? Aps? Notes? Mail?

Thanks!
If you dont back up through itunes you will loose everything, apps,contacts etc...
Yup, consider an OS update as a format/reinstall - you lose everything you don't back up.

From iOS5 onwards though you can backup to iCloud if you want to, so you don't need a computer ever (in theory). Personally, I'll stick with local backups for a bit longer!!
Quote from tristancliffe :From iOS5 onwards though you can backup to iCloud if you want to, so you don't need a computer ever (in theory). Personally, I'll stick with local backups for a bit longer!!

Precisely the reason I want iOS5. No mo' iTunes. Can I back up my phone on someone else's computer?
#16 - Migz
You can backup your phone to someone elses computer, but if you've purchased apps and such you'll have to "authorize" there computer with your apple ID, otherwise it wont transfer your apps/purchased items.
But if you authorize their computer, then right click your iphone and click backup it will backup everything minus music and videos.
Then after update just use your backup and everything will be back on, you'll have to put any music or videos back on yourself but from then on you wont need itunes for anything anymore.
Although if its videos you've taken i think they get backed up too, just not videos you've put on yourself.
Hope i helped.
That's precisely what I was looking for! Thanks!

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG