The online racing simulator
Laptop
(16 posts, started )
Laptop
As you may know, I made a post about buying a new laptop a few months ago. Well, I never got that as a present, and am looking for one again. This one will probably is bought around April or possibly over to early summer.

I have somewhat made my choices of a notebook, but this is pretty much what I'm looking for. It needs atleast a 8600M GT, or equivalent card. DDR2, DDR3; either choice will work but DDR3 is what I'm leaning towards as it may give the laptop a few more months of use. I would like it to last atleast 2 years, preferably 3 years. I will either get the T8100 or the T9300 Penryn processors, I haven't decided yet. I would like a 7200 RPM drive, as I don't need it that big, so a high storage 5400 RPM drive will be out of the question. They are usually more expensive anyway, even if there is better performance. I will have a budget of $1500, which will be flexible up to $1600.

The choices are either a Compal JFL92/Sager 2092; Lenovo ThinkPad T61P; or a Dell Vostro 1500.

Now I know that the Dell only has the T7xxx processors available, but since I am not buying urgently, I can wait until Dell makes it available, if they do. These are all 15.4in. notebooks, and I do not plan to go any bigger than a 15.4in. notebook.

My question for you guys is which of these would you prefere? Do you guys have another option for me to look at? Keep in mind, I would like to keep the buying within the USA, so the European Zepto notebooks are out of the question.

Also, I would like to note that the new Intel Montevina platform will be coming out in the next 6 or so months. It would replace the current Santa Rosa platform all these notebooks are running on. Should I buy a Santa Rosa laptop before the release of the new Montevina's in '09, or should I wait until I get more information about them?

Sorry for the long post, if anything needs clarification, please post.
man just wait for the new platform. it will be worth it. its suppose to be pretty good from what i hear. so imo just wait it out for now then buy when its available.
Yes, but will I need the new platform? The most I plan to do is surf the web, chat, do schoolwork and play LFS on that. At most I will have LFS, Trillian, Opera and OpenOffice Writer up. Unless LFS gets so high tech, I don't think I need that much power and don't want to wait that long. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do I have the right idea on the LFS part? How about your opinions about the choice?
If all you want to play is LFS, then I don't think waiting for the new platform will do much. Besides, you could just wait for the new platform after that, or the one after. That's just how it goes with technology. However, you may want to consider waiting if it means your computer will me much more future-proof.
Yes, but if I want more future proof, it will usually cost me more presently. What I'm worried about right now is that since I will be buying in the next 6 or so months, I don't want to buy a Santa Rosa laptop just before the release of the Montevina.
Quote from MINIz guy :The most I plan to do is surf the web, chat, do schoolwork and play LFS on that.

So remind me, what's the point in a $1500 laptop?
The fact I need it to last for 3 years. Also, I may not know what games might go on it in those 3 years with the laptop.
Well, I have bought myself a Gateway P-6831 FX for $1200 + tax. It also came with a free game, I chose Call of Duty 4. I'm pretty happy with the decision, these are the specs.
Intel Core 2 Duo T5450
3GB RAM
250GB HD
8800M GTS
Windows Vista Home Premium
#9 - dadge
sorry for the uberbump but i didn't want to make a new thread and my question is relevant. I'm in the market for a laptop. it will be used as part of my DJ setup. so it will only have music on it and Traktor (virtual DJ software). so for me, i need plenty of ram and good hdd space.
i don't want to break the bank on this little sucker so my budget is £350. it won't be playing the latest games (my desktop does that ) and it won't be doing anything much more cpu intensive as maybe playing 4 tunes at the same time. it doesn't even need a good soundcard as the controller i'll be using has a built in soundcard.

I'm currently looking at this little steal: Acer Aspire 5336
i can get it for ~£230 here: PC-Titan
any/all help input is welcomed.
thanks
Acer, piece of junk.. Falls apart after a year. Warranty handling is a disaster.

I'm surprised there are people still buying MyFirstLaptops, Acers reputation isn't that you call... Unknown .. Nowadays.

Go Asus, HP or Lenovo (ex-IBM).
could you recommend a model? remember £350 max. needs 3+GB of ram and hard drive space is a must.
Quote from cargame.nl :
These laptops have at least an i3 processor as well.. Instead of a crappy Celeron doing absolutely rubbish in performance tests.

i don't mind going about 10% over budget but as long as it's justifiable. as i said, cpu isn't on the top of the list for the purpose of this laptop so even old chips would be fine (imo). but i do like the look of those samsungs.
I remember this thread...

Still going on the same P-6831FX. I think I'm going Apple once college starts, though.
Quote from cargame.nl :But although Samsung is an unknown player on the laptop market I would buy that earlier then an Acer;

wat.

Do you realize that LCD panels in 90% of laptops, for example, are made by Samsung?

Their laptops are good cause everything is 'in-house' - LCD, HDD, RAM, motherboard etc.

Laptop
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG