The online racing simulator
BattleField 3
(1935 posts, started )
Quote from sinbad :I don't think it's great. Maybe I expected too much.

I think you probably need to experience the bigger maps to see what it's all about. On the other hand, I'm starting to enjoy the beta map the more I play it.

But those Caspian border videos are insane...
Quote from CoolColJ :15 mins to download - Origin has fast servers!
4.2MB/s never get that on Steam...

Steam has a lot of users while origin doesn't. Pretty much explains it if you use your head. Origin sucks imo, also the stupid server browser should be available in game too.
Well, it's the beta...
Quote from TamelCoe :Steam has a lot of users while origin doesn't. Pretty much explains it if you use your head. Origin sucks imo, also the stupid server browser should be available in game too.
Well, it's the beta...

yeah... origin itself has an ingame browser.. why not use that one

(firefox loves to take 10 - 20 fps in a game)
Anyone know if there will be another change of map during the beta?

I found it quite buggy on pc, but the visuals looks amazing.
on the other hand on x-box it seems more consistent, minus the ocasional
white flash of the screen.

But way too many spawn campers, but I guess that's the downside of their marketing campaign, stealing COD players doesn't mean they will change their play style.

(BTW not hating on call of duty... I play it also, spent a good part of 500$ on it in the last couple of months...games+map-packs X 3 platforms)
Quote from simulation :Anyone know if there will be another change of map during the beta?

I found it quite buggy on pc, but the visuals looks amazing.
on the other hand on x-box it seems more consistent, minus the ocasional
white flash of the screen.

But way too many spawn campers, but I guess that's the downside of their marketing campaign, stealing COD players doesn't mean they will change their play style.

(BTW not hating on call of duty... I play it also, spent a good part of 500$ on it in the last couple of months...games+map-packs X 3 platforms)

i highly doubt it

well i guess the real game will be way better since it has all vehicles etc. + operation metro is no battlefield map

my fav vid atm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nMVam5mAjs
Quote from Bose321 :Elaborate?

Can't really, just don't like the feel of it. Sounds are great as are graphics in some respects. I think perhaps that it's not very polished in its beta status doesn't help but the basic game play of shooting killing and getting killed just isn't as immersive as I'd expected. I think I'd built up the realism in my head and had something much more visceral in mind.

......how incredibly vague.
I think I know what you mean. As graphics and special effects get more advanced the gameplay feels more and more detached from the visuals.

It's weird to have the feeling of being surrounded by these realistic environments but have your own avatar be entirely numb to it, so much so you spend quite a lot of time sprinting against walls or throwing yourself on the floor.

It's like how in dreams things often look right but don't feel right. You can be running away from some evil entity that feels like a very real threat, but for some reason the experience of running isn't presented properly and it feels like you're running through the sea.
As a big budget PC focused titled unhooked from console limitations, the game is currently underwhelming. I've had to reshuffle my expectations a bit to appreciate that BF3 is more iterative improvement than revolution. BF2 on graphical steroids fits about right. No judgements until final though.

Turning the volume way up, helps...
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :Disappointing...

25 days for them to fix:

Random crashes to desktop (5+ times last night)
Lag
Lag
Lag
Lag
Lag
Glitching vehicles
Lag
Random flashes on the screen
Lag
Lag
Obnoxious random flashes on the screen
Weird visual anomalies (floating weapons, glitching dead bodies, etc)
Lag
Unable to join some servers even, even empty one...says connection timed out while trying to connect...other empty servers have come back reported as full when trying to connect.
Lag
Lag
Lag
Lag
Lag

Game is pretty piss poor right now, they picked the worlds worst map for the default beta map...

Graphics are pretty tho...

In reply to myself...

...after playing for a few days.

Lag has subsided...

Flashing still occurs, I'm not the only one with this issue...hope that gets resolved.

It's grown on me...I'm not going to order it yet...but once I know the bugs are ironed I'll be adding it to my cart...

Only thing I am really missing is hardcore mode...that's the only way I would play on BFBC2...I really dislike non-hardcore...always found the hardcore servers to be less spammy...and it's just more fun IMO...
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :In reply to myself...

...after playing for a few days.

Lag has subsided...

Flashing still occurs, I'm not the only one with this issue...hope that gets resolved.

It's grown on me...I'm not going to order it yet...but once I know the bugs are ironed I'll be adding it to my cart...

Only thing I am really missing is hardcore mode...that's the only way I would play on BFBC2...I really dislike non-hardcore...always found the hardcore servers to be less spammy...and it's just more fun IMO...

they have a hardcore realism check box. I would assume it will be added.
How long does it take to join a server? Mines just stuck at "joining server"
Quote from jrd.racer :How long does it take to join a server? Mines just stuck at "joining server"

depends how fast your pc is because it's loading the game in the background...
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :depends how fast your pc is because it's loading the game in the background...

Not necessarily.

I believe the beta is closed for now, but i maximized the game from taskbar almost right away. The loading screen appeared and all that. Just saying that u dont have to wait in the browser. U can close it after clicking "join server".
Quote from jrd.racer :How long does it take to join a server? Mines just stuck at "joining server"

Less than 30 seconds for me, and I don't have any "super computer".
Quote from Mustangman759 :call of duty converts map imho

i think you've put your finger on it there, the maps not a true battlefiled map or even a good bad company map but it does a fine job of introducing COD players to battlefield game play and weapons.

there's every chance they'll gain COD players after they've played it whilst the normal BF fans, even if put off by the "demo" map, will probably buy the game once the full gameplay / maps etc becomes apparent

might be a graphics card error, check to see if the game has opened a window and click it. thats what i have to do atleast
Trying to get to the beta party boat. The Origin is truly a world class clusterpuppypuppypuppy and a masterpiece of shoddy engineering that makes most malware look pleasant. The whole UI looks like an Android developer got drunk and used a Wacom with the pen between his buttcheeks. Can't change settings (terrible language localisation, wrong default program install folders) while downloading beta that's being bandwith restricted by EA's side.

The squirrel avatar is funny though.
Quote from spankmeyer : while downloading beta that's being bandwith restricted by EA's side.

What's your speed usually?

EA has always used all of my allocated download speed @ 6MB/s
Quote from spankmeyer :while downloading beta that's being bandwith restricted by EA's side.

Is that true? I downloaded at over 3mb/s on the "release day". If there is a cap, what is it? 5mb/s?

Origin is a steaming pile of turd, while Steam is just a nicely formed turd. Both are turds, just Steam slides out a bit easier.

I have them both off as much as possible.

EDIT: Beat... ****!
MOTHERF*******

It wanted to install BF3 on my OS drive which is rather small SSD where I do not want anything other than OS to be installed. Just like Steam I had installed Origin on my other HD with plenty of space but like I said Origin just defaults to your C: drive and when I cancelled the install it wants to download THE WHOLE CRAP AGAIN!

I can find the 4 gigs of installer tucked in my C: drive but is there a way to force Origin to suck it up and install it?

BattleField 3
(1935 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG