The online racing simulator
Is it possible to set up a Host for you and ONE other person?
I would like to know if it is possible to set up a Host and with the use of a password have just one other person taking part. I've understood this was possible some years back but with successive patches this option was removed.
Hi,

The admin command (or found the dedicated server's config file)

/maxguests=2 :max number of guests that can join host

Shouldn't that do the trick?

Also use

/pass=Pass :if required - password

For the password protection.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

PS: This info is taken from the LFS Manual (http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Hosting).
Thank you Silverracer
But having noted your two boxes of codes in your reply, what exactly do I do to implement them? I've never come across this reference to code before. I'm not, as you may gather, one of the most capable of LFS racers within the community. The changing of skins and fiddling with the fine tuning of the cars is quite beyond me.
A bit more help with what to do with these codes you mention, step by step, would be appreciated.
Regards. Tks.
You don't really have to do any of this, you can create a server from within LFS and set some password for it. Limiting number of players and other trickery is not really needed if you tell the password to one person only.
MadCatX
You are communicating with the thickest stupidest LFS pilot in captivity. How does one start a server and make a password?
I have started a host and given that a password and also an admin password and for a couple of years this worked perfectly but now we're confronted with "timed out" when we try to meet on a Host.
You seem to imply that it is easy. How is a server easier to create than a Host?
Please continue with your help. I think we're getting warm!!
A bit of theory here: One computer called a "host" or "server" receives data from all players (position of their cars and stuff) and communicates this to the other players.
There are several reasons why would you get a "timed out" error. It might be a firewall on your computer blocking LFS communication. A computer that's acting as a server also has to have things called "ports" open. If you have a router, you have to instruct it to forward all communication coming in on specific ports directly to your computer. The way how to do this varies a bit from router to router so if this is the case you'd better contact whoever set the router up for you. As for the port numbers, LFS server needs 63392 TCP and UDP to be forwarded.
Hi MadcatX
Thanks for your reply. We both have our Firewalls able to allow us to go onto any of the Hosts/servers mentioned in Multiplayer and can join up with the tracks as the list shows. My own router was sent to me by post by BT, the UK main phone/broadband provider so i don't see how contacting them would be an easy path. We normally get shuttled off to India for any help we require.
Have you any idea why they (LFS developers) stopped anyone setting up a Host to create a private track? This was so easy and so convenient.
Now the "timed out" message and port forwarding complicated stuff is proving a real pain in the a***.
hi MadcatX
What I really think would be the easy solution to my problem is for someone within LFS or who is really in the know of such things to set out, STEP by STEP how I might configure my LFS to set up the ability to make a track and the option to invite whoever with the help of a password.
The other way might be to download the previous version of S2 which enabled us to do it without a hitch.
There is a download archive which may contain this patch. I'm not sure of what the name and reference number was.
This has nothing to do with LFS, I suppose that BT upgraded their network at some point in the past and as a part of that upgrade you received a new router.
Before you had a router, your computer was basically wired directly to the Internet, now it is sort of hidden behind the router. To host a LFS (or any other) game you have to tell your router to pipe the packets directly to your computer - that's what's called port forwarding.
(For those who actually know how this works - I know I simplified it a helluva lot).
The forwarding has to be set on your router, usually though a web interface. BT techsupp should be able to help you, just tell them the port numbers I posted above.
Hi MadcatX
The only number you have mentioned is 63392 in previous replies.
You referred to more than one.
What, precisely, is the question or request that I should put to the BT Tech Support when I get through to them.
If he asks me to explain what I'm talking about I shall be flummoxed!

The puzzling thing is that I can make a new Host "site" where I can nominate a track,car,race length, etc, etc and stay on it and race away on my own for days if I wish but I cannot invite anyone to join in. Its utterly daft when it was easy/peasy years ago. Perhaps you could, on your own, set up a host and invite someone to join in with you provided that you advise them of its password and, let me know if your set up enables you to host a track for one against one racing.
I would like to know if you are able to carry out this seemingly simple set up.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from peejayh :
The puzzling thing is that I can make a new Host "site" where I can nominate a track,car,race length, etc, etc and stay on it and race away on my own for days if I wish but I cannot invite anyone to join in. Its utterly daft when it was easy/peasy years ago. Perhaps you could, on your own, set up a host and invite someone to join in with you provided that you advise them of its password and, let me know if your set up enables you to host a track for one against one racing.
I would like to know if you are able to carry out this seemingly simple set up.

A quick explanation.

From the outside world, all other users can see is your router (as your on BT - your BT HomeHub). Obviously your router does not host an LFS server - your PC does.

Opening ports is basically a way of telling the router that if it recieves an LFS-related request, to pass that to a specified PC (i.e. yours).

You don't need to open a port to connect to another server (thus why other servers work fine), but you do to host one. You can of course host a server without opening ports - but no-one will be able to connect.

If you call BT, tbh I doubt they'll be much help.

If you have a BT HomeHub 2 (the black one) theres a guide on what you need to do here.

It's nothing to do with LFS - pretty much any hosting will require this.
To Jakg and MadcatX
The longstanding problem - to enable two LFS racers to race head to head purely with a single host name and password - has now been solved.
Many thanks to you both for your attempts to put us on the right course but it was a third computer techhie expert who came onto my machine, (via TeamViewer) and was able to control my PC by remote control, and, with me watching, moved between the various windows and did the enabling magic.
The plus of all this is that the problem is over.
The negative is that it was too complicated to be able to repeat to someone who wanted to perform the same function.
If you haven't heard of Teamviewer it is a useful bit of software to help twits like me enjoy the technical know how of someone who knows the secret...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG