The online racing simulator
Codemasters Formula1 2011
(106 posts, started )
I'll be trying the Hard diffeculty today on a GP.

I've tried Professional before and finished 16th on Monaco.
Legend is the only way to go, all aids off.
Quote from Gabkicks :

launching the car @ the start is way too easy now.

I agree, however considering who the company that created the game, you can't expect it to reflect what would happen in a real F1 car!

Quote from Töki (HUN) :Is it just as crap as 2010 was, or worse?

A million and one times better, but that's not really too difficult when a game is as poor as F1 2010. This game is much much better though from my experience. Its not realistic (captain obvious right here) but it's driveable and good fun. Rain actually offers a proper challenge now! Also the game doesn't look like you're always wearing yellow tinted glasses. Those silly over the top PP effects have been taken out, so it looks much more natural and is much easier on the eye. The AI actually exist now too
Anyone else having horrible deadzone with the G27?
If not, could anyone post their settings?
I don't understand how Codemasters still have not figured out how to make the most popular wheel (G25/27) out there work properly with their games..

Also, I have to select my G27 instead of keyboard in the controls menu every single time i restart the game, and reconfigure the button mapping, what the ****?
you have to go in and turn the deadzone all the way down, and also, you might want to turn saturation up.

I want rfactor 2 >_< but this will make the wait for rfactor 2 less painful.
Quote from Gabkicks :you have to go in and turn the deadzone all the way down, and also, you might want to turn saturation up.

I want rfactor 2 >_< but this will make the wait for rfactor 2 less painful.

Deadzone at 0, saturation at 100, but it doesn't make a difference unfortunately. Tried playing with the steering settings in the game, but it only seems to make it worse. Settings of G27 below.

Might not have explained the deadzone clearly enough. It's the feeling where you can feel the center of the wheel whenever you go there. If you were to steer right, and perhaps suddenly have to countersteer to the left, you can clearly feel some more resistance once you reach the center of the wheel, instead of fluently transitioning to the left side of the wheel.
Attached images
Naamloos.png
Quote from Stiggie :
Also, I have to select my G27 instead of keyboard in the controls menu every single time i restart the game, and reconfigure the button mapping, what the ****?

I think 2010 had the same bug. IIRC you have to configure everything, then exit the game and then the settings will be saved whenever you update them.
When you start the game you have to use the buttons on the wheel, if you press enter it will wipe custom controls and revert to keyboard :| Same bug was in dirt3.........
Quote from DejaVu :When you start the game you have to use the buttons on the wheel, if you press enter it will wipe custom controls and revert to keyboard :| Same bug was in dirt3.........

Oh, I'll try that. just installed the game and tried my method, with no luck

EDIT: seems to work, but I lost my force feedback when I minimised and modified the deegrees in the profiler.
Was a bit upset because my HRT did not have working mirrors, so I went to look at it, and discovered the graphics menu has a scroll bar with all those options

First, I ran the benchmark (max 80 fps, min 65), but that McLaren looked really bad. Then I turn up the post-processing and the car reflections (60, 40. So I can improve a little bit yet) and the McLaren looked great, with its crome paint and the colors were much better (HDR I guess).

-------------------------------------------------------------

After 30 minutes playing (plus other 30 in the menues xD) I find the physics similar to the 2010, and still find the FFB a bit jerky on my G25. I'm driving with no assists at all, and god, the DRS makes you spin at Melbourne if you are too optimistic. Like in 2010, I can't keep the pace at 1st and 3rd sector, but I can in 2nd, guess I've to do some more practise sessions. I am with professional AI, so I guess I'm suposed to be able to accomplish the aim of being 18th in the race.
Quote from adamlfs :Take it you haven't checked any screenshots or videos yet?

Spins can't be recovered by stamping on the brakes, i've already tried it.

Wheels for each car are now the correct ones for each team, they look great.

Not really, I'm working at Estoril and I don't get much time to get on the crappy hotel Internet.

If they've sorted some of the issues I'll probably pick it up after payday. I enjoyed F12010 for a laugh, and KERS/DRS should make it more involved.
Quote from Whiskey :Was a bit upset because my HRT did not have working mirrors, so I went to look at it, and discovered the graphics menu has a scroll bar with all those options

First, I ran the benchmark (max 80 fps, min 65), but that McLaren looked really bad. Then I turn up the post-processing and the car reflections (60, 40. So I can improve a little bit yet) and the McLaren looked great, with its crome paint and the colors were much better (HDR I guess).

-------------------------------------------------------------

After 30 minutes playing (plus other 30 in the menues xD) I find the physics similar to the 2010, and still find the FFB a bit jerky on my G25. I'm driving with no assists at all, and god, the DRS makes you spin at Melbourne if you are too optimistic. Like in 2010, I can't keep the pace at 1st and 3rd sector, but I can in 2nd, guess I've to do some more practise sessions. I am with professional AI, so I guess I'm suposed to be able to accomplish the aim of being 18th in the race.

Another bug is that if you follow the path /My documents/My games/FormulaOne2011/hardwaresettings/hardware_settings_config.xml and if you open it with wordpad or something like that there is a line <graphics_detail level="low" /> no matter what you change in game. I recommend changing it to "high" if you have DX9 card and to "ultra" if you have DX11 card.

This game is so bugged.
There also seems to be the same major bug from 2010 - stuttering caused by huge amounts of data being written to the replay file in real-time. There is a relatively quick fix, using a symbolic link to an external hard-drive, but should really have been addressed for this years release. I think the problem is with the underlying game engine, because the same has been reported to happen in the Dirt series too.

Apart from that though, it is a massive step up from 2010. Hopefully I won't get bored after 5 races like I did last year - it's looking very promising so far!
Okay have been playing this for a while now and here is my thoughts

The handling is good, better than in 2010 and without any aids I really have to work keeping the car on the track.

Force feedback is weird. It actually doesnt even work fully. Only the enviromental effects are adjustable, cant change the overall ffb at all .

The difficulty is also weird. I started with force india and professional, I still manage to get into top 3.

Also its really annoying if qualiflying is rainy and race is dry, you cant change your car setup before the race. Srsly whats the ****ing point in that?
Quote from Myffe :Also its really annoying if qualiflying is rainy and race is dry, you cant change your car setup before the race. Srsly whats the ****ing point in that?

That's the rules, and keeping it in the game adds realism. Try looking at the weather forecast before you fix a setup.
Anyone else having problems with unability to go to fulscreen and a huge input lag even with vsync off? :/
Quote from Stiggie :Deadzone at 0, saturation at 100, but it doesn't make a difference unfortunately. Tried playing with the steering settings in the game, but it only seems to make it worse. Settings of G27 below.

Might not have explained the deadzone clearly enough. It's the feeling where you can feel the center of the wheel whenever you go there. If you were to steer right, and perhaps suddenly have to countersteer to the left, you can clearly feel some more resistance once you reach the center of the wheel, instead of fluently transitioning to the left side of the wheel.

Clearly it's possible to finish 5th in a force india after today's race, so F1 2011 must be super realistic!

Anywho, does anyone have the same issue as my original post above, or a solution?
I have noticed that my G27 does seem to recalibrate whenever i start up F1 2011, I assume that's not supposed to happen either?
Wait wait wait. You mean they have actually produced a worthwhile game this time?, the AI actually have a bit of pace? What about the weather?, can you still drive with slicks on a track thats had heavy rain for a minute or so? Do the AI actually put in the laps it says they do or are the actual cars just an illusion still?
You need to be on the right tyres, I went out with inters on a fully wet track and I spun on every turn, even with medium TC on, and it seems the AI do real times, at least in the races. The AI only gets a bit dodgy when you go online, it's not too bad in a co-op season though.

My only real issue so far is that the safety car drives way too fast, you need to go full race pace to catch up and even then you only really catch up when the leader starts controlling the pace.
Do i buy it on PS3 or PC?
Quote from Flame CZE :Anyone else having problems with unability to go to fulscreen and a huge input lag even with vsync off? :/

No input lag for me, are you using vsync?

For fullscreen press alt+enter
#98 - JJ72
Quote from J@mes :Do i buy it on PS3 or PC?

PC, PS3 version has real performance issues and look like ass
Quote from DejaVu :No input lag for me, are you using vsync?

For fullscreen press alt+enter

Thanks for the fullscreen tip. But it seems that the sound goes a bit later than the picture, plus the pedal reactions are not instant (compared to LFS). The steering seems to me quite OK but not the best. I have vsync off, of course. It just looks like these new games don't handle wheels well.
mine doesn't have any problems, probably it's like shift2 where it is performance related??

Codemasters Formula1 2011
(106 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG