The online racing simulator
Windows Developer Preview (Windows 8)
(44 posts, started )
As you guys know, Microsoft just released the Dev Preview of Windows 8 a couple hours ago for download. I'd love to hear from you guys about your experience of whether from installation to proper usage and problems if any.
Haven't tried myself but I've read the only thing you can see is the interface, since any other new feature is not available yet
Quote from NitroNitrous :Haven't tried myself but I've read the only thing you can see is the interface, since any other new feature is not available yet

Err.. how about Hyper-V, IE 10, etc? :/
Can't tell, as I said is what I've read in a Spanish forum from people who has tested it. Not very useful, I know
Hasn't Hyper-V been around since like Windows Server 2008? Also I don't think it's any special. I'm kind of curious about the interface, it looked extremely weird and I can't imagine using it on a desktop PC...
#6 - majod
those are exactly my thoughts, the metro interface seems to be designed especially for touch displays, not for mouse/keyboard, currently i can't imagine using it on desktop computer
Quote from majod :those are exactly my thoughts, the metro interface seems to be designed especially for touch displays, not for mouse/keyboard, currently i can't imagine using it on desktop computer

It really messes up your normal desktop 'flow' IMO, it's nice to play with, but it's not that practical.

And really no more start menu? That's the worst part...

Also, anyone can help me with this? http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1634117#post1634117
#8 - arco
Maybe they think that everyone will have a touch display by the time it's released? Fail...
And even if they did, who would want to sit and press their finger against a vertical screen? Your arm would be dead within 1 hour.
Quote from Bose321 :
And really no more start menu? That's the worst part...

How do you launch and manage your tasks then? I'd try that out myself but I really need a WORKING computer at this time plus wasting few hours with download and installing isn't really on the top of my schedule ATM.
As far as I've seen in previous videos, the new interface is optional, it's possible to turn it off to have a "normal" desktop with taskbar and everything.
^ That's what i'll be doing, new interface looks shit
Yep. Its possible to switch back to "normal" desktop.
I have tried it... I like it... The new Interface, is great for new users aswell as Power users... I haven't actually ran it on my comp... only in virtual box... but It still looks pretty sweet in my opinion
Quote from MadCatX :Hasn't Hyper-V been around since like Windows Server 2008?

It was, but only in Server editions. Now Microsoft included it in client version too, which most likely means that VM management software will become way more user friendly :P
I just managed to install and run it on my laptop finally. So far no bad experiences... I hope this doesn't change.
Is this different from 7989?
Quote from Foilpact :Is this different from 7989?

I have no idea but it seems to be so. It's the first public release of this.
I'm actually trying to 'develop' a simple Javascript/HTML/CSS app, but it's quite alot more difficult then I thought it would be... For instance I can't find where I can change that blue menu color...

Anyway, used some new method to parse a RSS feed from my site to HTML and load it in the app. The ranking tab includes a php file from my site (because it's in PHP mostly). Does anyone have an idea to do this neater, or integrate PHP in the app in some better way?

I'm try to give it the minimalistic look from Windows 8, but somehow I just made it boring.
Attached images
iD app.jpg
This might be a dumb quiestion, but does anybody know how to tile multiple Metro apps next to themselves? I swear I tried anything I could think of but I couldn't make it display more than on app at a time.
Quote from MadCatX :This might be a dumb quiestion, but does anybody know how to tile multiple Metro apps next to themselves? I swear I tried anything I could think of but I couldn't make it display more than on app at a time.

You mean the snap feature? I heard it only works on 1366x768 or bigger (fml for having 1360x768). Works on my laptop though.
Quote from Bose321 :You mean the snap feature? I heard it only works on 1366x768 or bigger (fml for having 1360x768). Works on my laptop though.

Is that how it's called? Well, cranking up my virtual screen to 1600x1200 got the snap thingy working, though it hopelessly locked up right after I snapped a window Let's see if I can get the updates installed, so far the experience I had was worse than horrible...
#22 - Dmt
so what are the good sides of that widows?
Bump and that ^
I'm building a new computer next week and i'm thinking of getting this windows 8 as I really have no money to get windows 7..

How does it work overall? games works just as perfectly as in 7, XP?
How about all other programs? They all work normally?
Quote from Hahmo :... i'm thinking of getting this windows 8 as I really have no money to get windows 7..

Do not use this preview as you "Main OS". This is a beta and it will probably fail in alot of things. This should only be used in virtual box for example. I did that mistake with Win7 when it was in beta and i had alot of problems.
Quote from Dmt :so what are the good sides of that widows?

Quote from Hahmo :Bump and that ^
I'm building a new computer next week and i'm thinking of getting this windows 8 as I really have no money to get windows 7..

How does it work overall? games works just as perfectly as in 7, XP?
How about all other programs? They all work normally?

You already know Windows 8 is cheaper then Windows 7 or something? I better not hope you intent to install this as your main OS as it's not as stable as the final build, and will not last long (hence preview).

Main 'good sides' of Windows 8 are;
  • faster (less RAM-usage, faster booting, optimized all over, you name it)
  • New Metro UI (hate it or love it)
  • Safer (Windows defender now already runs while booting)
  • Hyper-V
  • New applications. It's easy to make and sell your own apps in the Windows store.
Basicly it's just based on Windows 7, and everything is streamlined and improved so I don't see how you can go wrong.

(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG