The online racing simulator
That's what sucks on Wildfire, it can't display the gradients properly, although it has 16m colors..
And again.. i gotta stop.

where can you auto-generate an image like that?
What you mean, to take a screenshot?
so it's just a screenshot photoshopped on a phone? or is there an app that automatically do that for you?
Yeh i do it manually in PS Maybe there are some automatic solutions..
Thanks for clearing that up.

I heart this live wallpaper
so after a year of harping about the atrix, i finally decided to walk into a tbooth and check it out. and then i bought it.

so here's a bunch of screenshots. the youtube one is blacked out, because of how ddms takes screenshots, but it plays back quite well, very crisp.
Attached images
middle - home.png
left1.png
left2.png
left3.png
right1.png
right2.png
right3.png
aboutphone.png
apps.png
youtubescreenshotattempt.png
best place to ask?

my mom has a droid 3, and on the bottom (unlike the droid 2 she had), there is a dock. 3 apps of your choice, and the 'all apps' button. Now say i did not want the dock at all? any way? say i wanted more then 3 apps down there? any way?

supposedly it is open source, but i feel like that only applies to themes, and such like that.
Install Zeam Launcher from the market (press home button after it to choose it as default), you can put many icons in the dock, make all apps pop up by double tapping the screen, dialer by swiping up etc.. It's great started using it instead of Launcher Pro.
Symbian is a real man's OS. All of its updates are women names. Unlike some gay update names stuff such as "ice cream sandwich" or "gingerbread". Please, don't take it seriously. I just needed to say this

I just love Belle. So beautiful.

Symbian Anna (before)

Symbian Belle

(By the way, this screenshot is out-of-date. I have changed my homescreens a lot since then but I don't have any recent screenshot of the latest changes.)
Attached images
Nokia N8 screenshot.jpg
Nokia N8 screenshot1.jpg
Yep it looks nice..
Looks nice, but Android is much more better... I had symbian (5800XM) and I hated it. Slow, ugly and inconvenient.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Looks nice, but Android is much more better... I had symbian (5800XM) and I hated it. Slow, ugly and inconvenient.

Yeah, you had an old S60v5 phone in 2008 so the new Symbian Belle devices from 2011/2012 must be old, look old and feel slow too. It totally makes sense.

I agree with you about S60v5 (Symbian^1), which is the operating system of 5800xm, but that is absolutely and completely different from everything beyond and including Symbian^3.

S60v5 was a "desperate" attempt to push Symbian to touch devices after the release of the iPhone. It was the first Symbian touch device released. It was a direct conversion, and everything from the non-touch phones was kept. Unlike Symbian^3 and all its updates, which were made with touchscreens in mind from the beginning. So, you only dislike "Symbian" it because you have never used Symbian^3. Or its latest update: Symbian Belle. That slow (user interface) thing which you dislike was released in 2008, and we're in 2011, mate. That's like saying Windows 7 is bad because you have used Windows XP, or PlayStation 3 has poor graphics because PlayStation 1 had poor graphics, etc.

Memory management and hardware memory is massively improved on Symbian Belle (5800xm had 128MB of RAM, the first Belle handsets have 512MB and a whole lot better memory management with an extra 512MB of flash page file to extend your usage and reduced memory footprint).

Let's compare in a very simple way your poor, ugly, slow and inconvenient experience of 5800xm with the awesome, beautiful, blazingly fast and convenient experience of the new Symbian Belle update and new handsets:

Feature - 5800xm - Symbian Belle handsets
Operating System - S60v5 - Symbian Belle (make no mistakes: they are very different)
Processor - ARM11 434mhz - ARM11 1GHz
RAM - 128MB only - 512MB + page file and memory optimizations
Screen - default LCD TFT - ClearBlack AMOLED / LCD IPS LED-backlit
Touchscreen - resistive (comes with pen for input) - capacitive, multi-point(multitouch)

I won't go into further details because the differences are really THAT huge and I would spend all day writing this post. There is absolutely nothing that both platforms share beyond application compatibility and basis system kernel/name/etc (which has always been great, but with bad user interface made everything look bad when it was not, and even the great parts and the kernel have now also been greatly improved).

You must take into account that Symbian is an awesomely optimized OS. You can have a new Symbian phone with a quarter the RAM necessary to run Android and have it run the same things Android does, maybe even better. Android is one of the least optimized OS. I'm a software developer and I know the differences, the Symbian kernel is small and highly efficient, whereas everything you run on Android is running on java virtual machine.

With Symbian you basically have "direct" access to the drivers and instant access to the hardware, and on Android everything you run must be interpreted and "compiled" by a virtual machine. No wonder Android devices must have much better processors, it's very obvious: it needs this processing power. Symbian doesn't need that: it runs exactly the same games Android and iOS can run with a lot less requirements.

I'm stopping here because I must finish my work. Ironically, I come here to criticize some aspects of java running on Android (not being native code, running on virtual machine, not optimized for each system, etc) but I work with java development. (not for Android, though)
That lock screen and status bar looks like a "ripoff" from Android.
Looks awesome! /nokia fanboy
Ah yes thanks for clearing that up Velociround, I had no idea about the other symbians. But yeah I regret buying a 5800XM, it was bloody expensive when it was new. I still have it just in case something happens with my SGS.
Quote from arco :That lock screen and status bar looks like a "ripoff" from Android.

Do you really want to come up with "who came first?" questions? I guess it's Symbian, in 1990. You can say any feature you want: it is highly unlikely to have been implemented in any other platform before Symbian. It has had quick access to bluetooth/silent/etc before Android and iOS even existed.

Android's drop-down status bar is, with your own words, a "ripoff" from Nokia's Maemo-powered devices, which not only came to market long before Android, but also have this drop-down bar from the status bar with all of these notifications/switches(bluetooth, silent, ...)/etc. So you can say Nokia has evolved their own former status bar and lock screen on Symbian Belle, but you can't say they copied it from Android. It's the other way around.

By the way, the Symbian (all versions, including non-touch) lockscreen has always (like, since the S60 interface has been created or something) been like that. The only difference is the wallpaper (custom) and the improved status bar.
Matted blues with a stock wallpaper.
Attached images
screenshot-1315954639898.png
Quote from RevengeR :Matted blues with a stock wallpaper.

Nice, that widget looks much better then on my screen..

Slight change from last time..

Quote from Velociround :Do you really want to come up with "who came first?" questions? I guess it's Symbian, in 1990. You can say any feature you want: it is highly unlikely to have been implemented in any other platform before Symbian. It has had quick access to bluetooth/silent/etc before Android and iOS even existed.

Android's drop-down status bar is, with your own words, a "ripoff" from Nokia's Maemo-powered devices, which not only came to market long before Android, but also have this drop-down bar from the status bar with all of these notifications/switches(bluetooth, silent, ...)/etc. So you can say Nokia has evolved their own former status bar and lock screen on Symbian Belle, but you can't say they copied it from Android. It's the other way around.

By the way, the Symbian (all versions, including non-touch) lockscreen has always (like, since the S60 interface has been created or something) been like that. The only difference is the wallpaper (custom) and the improved status bar.

I'm just saying what I see. Sorry for not being an expert on Nokia history. A bit odd though that if they invented that look a long time ago, it's first now that they decided to use it. But whatever.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Nice, that widget looks much better then on my screen..

Slight change from last time..

http://i346.photobucket.com/al ... orisLozac811/device25.png

Nice! And you use Opera Mobile too

Quote from arco :I'm just saying what I see. Sorry for not being an expert on Nokia history. A bit odd though that if they invented that look a long time ago, it's first now that they decided to use it. But whatever.

You don't need to know any of that either, I'm just saying it's impossible that Symbian Belle is a "ripoff" from Android because Symbian came first, and Nokia had these features long before Android even existed. By the way, answering the "a bit odd though" part: that's because of a response I wrote when I posted that message, but it didn't get sent because my internet connection got broken somehow and I didn't have time to get back to it again until now. I was going to edit the post and add the reply, but I'm just going to paste the message down here.

Quote from arco :That lock screen and status bar looks like a "ripoff" from Android.

Do you really want to come up with "who came first?" questions? I guess it's Symbian, in 1990. You can say any feature you want: it is highly unlikely to have been implemented in any other platform before Symbian. It has had quick access to bluetooth/silent/etc before Android and iOS even existed.

One could say Android's drop-down status bar looks like, with your own words, a "ripoff" from Nokia's Maemo-powered devices, which not only came to market long before Android, but also have this drop-down bar from the status bar with all of these notifications/switches(bluetooth, silent, ...)/etc. So you can say Nokia has evolved their own former status bar and lock screen on Symbian Belle, but you can't say they copied it from Android. It's more likely to be the other way around as Maemo came first.

Quote from Töki (HUN) :Ah yes thanks for clearing that up Velociround, I had no idea about the other symbians. But yeah I regret buying a 5800XM, it was bloody expensive when it was new. I still have it just in case something happens with my SGS.

The SGS is a very nice phone, too.

You're lucky you got the 5800xm! The N97 (also s60v5) was so bad even Nokia is trying to make people forget about it. But that's Nokia's own fault: release a phone with an OS that has great kernel but make it with an awful user interface that was not programmed well and still worked as if it was a keypad interface (tap to select item first, then tap to choose. no kinetic scrolling, no visual cues, etc), very underpowered hardware with not enough optimizations (on a side note, it can't receive any of the new 2011 updates currently being released for other S60v5 phones because of hardware limitations), not enough memory (RAM, storage, etc), put a high price, show misleading ads of a lot of animations and UI effects on TV and call it flagship. Almost everyone loved the N95 and it was a great flagship, an iconic phone, but the N97 with all its limitations only works as a phone, not as a smartphone (even though it runs smartphone OS).

If you compare the N95 and the N97, it looks like Nokia was trying hard to piss on itself. The N95 even had a powerful GPU (if I'm not mistaken, more powerful than the first iPhone's GPU), and they simply removed it for all S60v5 phones. If you like mobile gaming, forget about Symbian^1.

The company also had a lot of internal problems and internal competition which was very bad for business (in all ways) and they messed up bad, but I won't go into details about that. Just as an example of the internal competition is that they would not release a phone for a segment that would compete with another phone they released themselves, thus removing features and making too many phones, with forgettable ones.

Just to get an idea, they had different teams on the company working on different projects, and competition between these teams was encouraged! They were not competing with other companies, they were competing with themselves. And these projects were all incompatible with each other. Symbian has had (about) more than 8 different user interfaces, most of them were never released and everyone on S60v5 was stuck to that keypad-touch-ish interface.

All of which has (mostly) been resolved by now, and they are making great progress now and releasing everything they should have released long ago.

I searched about the OS long before purchasing a new phone (I had an N95 which I loved, running S60v3), so I passed out on all of the Symbian^1 touch phones and only purchased a new phone when Symbian^3 was released. When I purchased my N8 in november/december 2010 I already knew it would receive 2 major updates in 2011 (Anna and Belle, formerly known as PR2.0 and PR3.0. The first with under-the-hood optimizations and improvements and the second with even more improvements and a completely new interface) and the complete OS roadmap from december 2010 to december 2011. Everything is coming up very nicely now, and I'm enjoying my experience a lot. It's like having a completely new phone after every update.

Now with the Microsoft partnership, Microsoft is developing, for the first time ever, a free, native update for all Symbian^3 (Belle) phones which includes all of their office suites (Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, ActiveSync, Communicator, etc). It is the first time Microsoft develops their official software suite for a mobile platform that is not their own (Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7). The first batch of Microsoft software updates is coming this year, and the next is coming early 2012.

I wouldn't change the best camera on any smartphone on the planet (even after what, almost 11 months? from its release) and all its connectivity options and updates for anything else on the market right now. I'm waiting for 2012 when Nokia should supposedly release (some sources says it's already confirmed) the Nokia 801 (with the old naming convention, this should be the Nokia N8-01, an all-new, updated N8-00). If it gets released, I'm very likely to buy it just because of the hardware update, or I'll just keep my N8 which is doing everything I want and more, even better now with Symbian Belle and a lot better memory management.

Post your Mobile Desktop..
(555 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG